THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#404732 - 01/14/08 02:18 PM Bow hunters???
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
I'm going to be buying a new bow this year. I've been really looking at the Parker bows but don't know much about them(Parker 2-plus). Can anyone give me some feedback on them +++ & ----?

#404767 - 01/14/08 04:23 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: fishmaster]
deerslayer
Unregistered

i shoot a frontier singlecam and its an awesome bow shot both the single and 2-plus and there isnt any difference...if you are anywhere near seattle you can come shoot mine and see what you think.

i dont have a single complain about mine except for the weight. but that still isnt that bad.

#404778 - 01/14/08 04:48 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: ]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

deerslayer check your PMs

#404807 - 01/14/08 06:07 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: fishmaster]
deerslayer
Unregistered

pm reply'd

#405033 - 01/15/08 09:08 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: ]
Sullie Offline
Spawner

i shoot a martin mv-2 magnum. its my first bow and i love it. it is a little louder on the release and not as smooth as others. a buddy of mine has a bow tech and he loves it. that is his third one. they are pretty spendy though.

#405103 - 01/15/08 01:31 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Sullie]
TheHunt Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Hoyt is my favorite bow manufacture but pricey. Bow Tech is a great bow as well but has the same problem as Hoyt, pricey. If you are planning on tuning and working your own bow then it really does not matter what you buy. There is a study out most every year with the result being the best bow for the dollar. But if you are going to have a pro-shop do all the work on your bow then I would talk to them first. If they hate working on specific bows I would avoid those as you will hear it from them every time you bring that bow into the shop to have them work on it.

I have also owned the short, ultra light compound bows and they are much less forgiving then the longer axle to axle length bows. What I mean by forgiving is if your form is not at the level it should be (twisting your wrist at arrow release), flipping your fingers at release, not holding your form after the arrow is released, them the longer axle to axle will cover up those flaws.

My 2 cents,

#405108 - 01/15/08 01:57 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: TheHunt]
hunter 333 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: slayin brats.
i have an 07 fred bear element, that bow is sweet and it is very cheap, good reliable bow, my dad got one on the cabelas outfitter series bows made by parker, he loves it. that is a very smooth shotting bow.

#405550 - 01/16/08 02:17 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: hunter 333]
egghead Offline
Parr

Go to many shops and talk to everyone you can, remember the advice you get from most people is worth about what you paid for it. The key is shooting as many as you can and pick the one that fits you best within your price range. Lots of extra cash is needed for release, arrows, sights, ect ect.

I can't tell you how important it is for it to feel good to you. Good luck and have fun learning as much as you can.

#405586 - 01/16/08 04:08 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: egghead]
TheHunt Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: egghead

Go to many shops and talk to everyone you can, remember the advice you get from most people is worth about what you paid for it. The key is shooting as many as you can and pick the one that fits you best within your price range. Lots of extra cash is needed for release, arrows, sights, ect ect.

I can't tell you how important it is for it to feel good to you. Good luck and have fun learning as much as you can.

Egghead provided the best advise yet... All bows are not made equal (different hand grips, weight, weight distribution, limbs, etc.) go talk to people and shoot the bows.

#405744 - 01/17/08 03:02 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: TheHunt]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Thanks for all the advise. I guess I will have to go to a few shops and try some out. The only shop around my place is the "Nock Point". I can't stand the guy that runs that place or the clowns that work there. There is one short stocky guy that works there that is ok.

Do most shops let you shoot bows before you buy them? The last time I bought a bow was 12 years ago?

It also seems that each shop only carries 1 maybe 2 lines of bows and those are always the best bow in the world. Any other shops around Seattle/Lynnwood.

Should I drive to the Cabelas?

#405747 - 01/17/08 05:00 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: fishmaster]
deerslayer
Unregistered

sportsmans wharehouse has a good selection...also

andy at OE is getting the job done...mathews, bear, bowtech, parker, pse,diamond, and mathew's other owned line i forget the name...

he has the new mathews, diamonds, and bowtechs in right now also a pse xforce...

and you can shoot all the bows down there aswell just like any other archery shop.

#405766 - 01/17/08 10:45 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: ]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Sweet!!

#405804 - 01/17/08 01:29 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: fishmaster]
rtturbo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Mathews Switchback

#406122 - 01/18/08 05:57 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: rtturbo]
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Not to change the subject but what are some good Shops aound Vancouver? I knw Sportsmens, any other shops that have good service?

#406145 - 01/18/08 07:19 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Firedog]
egghead Offline
Parr

There are a few in the Milwaukie area, don't think you would have to pay taxes either. If you search the portland metro area you will find many.

#406251 - 01/19/08 02:01 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: egghead]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

I went to Clackamas C.C. and I always went to Broken Arrow Archey in Milwaukie. It's close to the Joe's. Great guys there. That is were I have bought 2 of my Golden Eagles.

#406458 - 01/20/08 03:38 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Firedog]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
 Originally Posted By: Firedog
Not to change the subject but what are some good Shops aound Vancouver? I knw Sportsmens, any other shops that have good service?

Bobs in Longview is really good.

#406571 - 01/21/08 11:19 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Broken Arrow was where I was thinking about going, Hadn't even thought about Bob's. May head up there also. Thanks.

#406591 - 01/21/08 12:05 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Firedog]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Always have to consider the no sales tax part of it if you are going to be buying a bow.

#406960 - 01/22/08 04:49 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: ]
TheHunt Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: stam
There are lots of good custom bowyers makeing great recurves and longbows now...if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

There are local classes on building your own traditional bow...

#407112 - 01/23/08 09:15 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: TheHunt]
Sullie Offline
Spawner

Cabela's in lacey has a nice variety of bows, and they have a shooting range indoors too. wouldnt be a bad idea to take a trip in there.

#407364 - 01/23/08 06:32 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Sullie]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
 Originally Posted By: Sullie
Cabela's in lacey has a nice variety of bows, and they have a shooting range indoors too. wouldnt be a bad idea to take a trip in there.

I would reccomend against it. Buy from a Pro shop, its a much better expirience and you'll get much better customer service down the road. Plus they won't sell matthews, hoyt, and others who are pro shop only. The best archery shop I have been too is pacific crest in salem followed by bowrack in springfield OR. go to a small shop in the winter when the shops aren't crowded, the pro staf should have alot of time to spend with you helping with all aspects of your purchase, form etc. Stay away from big box retail where some dumbass kid most likely is going to try and see you the bow his best friend shot a deer with.

#407700 - 01/24/08 08:08 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: fishmaster]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
While I cant offer up too much in the way of the Parker bows, I can tell you that the other bow to look into is a Archery Research. I cant remember for sure but I think they are a subsidiary of PSE. Anyway, I picked one of those up last year after having shot a Hoyt since I was a little lad and I am pretty happy with it. The Hoyt's are really heavy and the AR was a nice relief from all the weight. The axle to axle length is way shorter too. Real nice for when you are pounding through the thick stuff and you keep getting stuff hung up on your gear. Hope that brings to light some stuff you did not know.

Shawn...out

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#407766 - 01/25/08 12:26 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Pugnacious]
hunter 333 Offline
Returning Adult

pug, archery reaserch's are nice bows but kinda spendy last time i looked, they still expensive?

#407836 - 01/25/08 04:19 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: hunter 333]
deerslayer
Unregistered

yes parkers are very high priced for what you get...i have loved every single one i have shot. and my drives tacks at 40yds (farthest i will shoot).

but i would never pay the price i did again for one of them. i would never get even half of that back selling it...

#407910 - 01/25/08 12:04 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: ]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
When I bought mine I paid a little more than $400 for just the bow. So the bow itself was not spendy. Now the $600 that I spent on bolt ons and arrows and a new release, that is another story.

I picked up the AR31 from the year before, makes no sense to me to go buy a brand new bow when everyone is just doing the same thing as the other guy.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#408168 - 01/26/08 01:11 AM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Pugnacious]
hunter 333 Offline
Returning Adult

i love bow hunting to death, id never give it up. but bows are just money pits in a way. with the price of arrows, and all that what not that u need for them. broadhead, sights, quiver, rest, stabilizer. its crazy. my setup on my bow costs more than the bow itself.

#408371 - 01/26/08 10:58 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: hunter 333]
deerslayer
Unregistered

oh yeah, ive went through 4 sigths, 7 quivers, about a donzen arrows every season just getting back into the grove of shooting. countless sets of broadheads and different arrows trying to find that setup that shoots the way i like it.
different stabalizers, rests, the lists goes on and on.

i love my bow to death, everyone who has shot it has wanted it. BUT man i cant afford a new one for the life of me. thats been the only reason i ever back out of selling it. its works perfect, and gets the job done. so its pointless to get a new bow even though i really want one.

#414068 - 02/12/08 10:41 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: ]
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

I went down to Broken Arrow. Shot a few and talked to the guy there and bought a Bowtech Gaurdian. Now it is time ot start practicing.

Edited by Firedog (02/12/08 10:41 PM)

#414686 - 02/14/08 02:03 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Firedog]
Captain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Enumclaw, Washington, USA
I'm with Stam! Lot's of good recurves and longbows out there! Real good shooters too. Good luck!

CAPTAIN

#414989 - 02/14/08 10:25 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Captain]
simon Offline
Smolt

Loc: washington whatcom county
i have two rytaras both shoot very well build my arrows from the raw blanks pretty resonable same sight and all for the three years doesnt cost all that much less than 100 dollars a year would spend more on ammo if was rifel hunting by the time i was done target shooting

#415236 - 02/15/08 07:58 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: fishmaster]
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Egghead is right on the money with his advice. I live in Seattle so finding a bow shop other than the nock point is difficult. I bought a Ross bow and had the guys at the Federal Way Sportsmans Warehouse set me up. I pulled down the bow reviews from bowsite and archerytalk and picked several within a given price. When it was all said and done I shot close to a dozen bows and it came down to the Martin Bengal or the Ross 331. The Ross won because it felt just a little bit better than the Martin.

After you get your bow set up properly its not like you need to run to the bow shop every other week. If it were me I wouldn't worry too much about buying from a shop out of the area. If you need service go back to them or bring it to a local guy who will work on it.

#415238 - 02/15/08 08:06 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Little Fish]
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Firedog - Archery World is located in Vancouver on Grand Blvd just south of Mill Plain in a little strip center. I used to live up the street from their shop and stop by on occasion when I'm in the area.

#418192 - 02/27/08 08:30 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: Little Fish]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
A great info site is http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Go to Technical Help, then in the drop-down menu to Bow Specification batabase. At the bottom of that page, you can organize bows by draw length, then brace height, speed, whatever, then narrow it down to see what 5-10 have the specs you want. Great web site.

#420689 - 03/07/08 07:02 PM Re: Bow hunters??? [Re: ned]
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Little Fish, I stoped into Archery World the other day. Niceshop and will probably get most of my business since they are a lot closer than Broken Arrow. If archery World carried Bowtech I would have looked there, but wanted to shoot the Bowtechs along with the Mathews and others. Settled on the Bowtech because it was extremly quiet and also comfortable to shoot, the Drenalin was about the same. At elast to me, went with Bowtech since they are out of Eugene.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1001 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |