Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407265 - 01/23/08 04:11 PM Smelly Jelly
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Anyone have any feedback on the Smelly Jelly line of scents? Good, not so good?

#407270 - 01/23/08 04:16 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
I like 'em.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#407277 - 01/23/08 04:22 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: hohbomb73]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Central Washington
I have used them. I don't find them any more effective than some of the others IMHO

#407279 - 01/23/08 04:25 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: ProfessorG]
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
been using the herring smelly jelly for a long time while down rigger fishing for salmon, works fine. Last winter I used some of the berkley gulps strips with my hoochies for blackmouth and they were worked very well.

#407314 - 01/23/08 05:21 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: ]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Switched to Pro-cure because of the squeeze bottle - easier on the run and works as well or better.

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#407325 - 01/23/08 05:39 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: Mikespike]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
uhhh smelly jelly has a squeeze bottle too dude

#407343 - 01/23/08 06:09 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: mreyns_tgl]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
when i use scent on typical river gear, i like mike's or the pro-cure stuff. that thicker, greasy goo that smelly jelly is doesn't disperse as well as thinner oils.

#407344 - 01/23/08 06:11 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: Chum Man]
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
I like it. Thumbs up! I use the liquid stuff and the paste...

#407345 - 01/23/08 06:12 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: Chum Man]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Smelly Jelly in the canister sucks. Basically Smelly Jelly is flavored Vaseline. In the summer when it gets hot out the Vaseline boils over and makes a freaking mess every where even with the lid on.

I really like Mikes Shrimp Gel, not the oil but the gel.

#407369 - 01/23/08 06:42 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: Dave D]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I'm a fan and I've never had the boiling over problem that Dave D reports. As usual, he's full of it... kidding. As someone else mentioned, it probably doesn't "disperse" as well as thinner oils but, as far as that goes, you are looking at a trade off of dispersion vs. reapplication time. I think it must be OK because you can still feel it and smell it well after smearing it on and using it. One little container will last a long time too.

Another bonus is that even though you can smell it and it DOES stink, it comes off hands easier and isn't as offensive to others as smells like salmon egg goo. I always keep an anchovie or herring flavor in the boat for the salt. My buddy is big on the shrimp scent for rivers.

#407380 - 01/23/08 06:55 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Kaiser D. I take your egg goo comment personally. I haven't forgotten the "most fishermanly smelling fisherman" label you stuck me with a while back. Fishing eggs is a big enough pain without trying to stay clean. I figure you might as well embrace the goo.

As for the smelly jelly, I have yet to see it make a huge difference in the rivers one way or another but I believe it in. I do like that it stays on really well. I put it on plugs, jigs, PW's, and drift gear and even after substantial time in the water, I can still smell it. It sticks...and stinks for sure. Much better than the liquid version or other more oil based scents I have tried. I have been using the shrimp for steel. The herring salt flavor (which about makes me gag) for salmon and the ocean. I have started putting dab on my upper lip just below my nose to get used to the scent. Seems to be working, but my girlfriend isn't so keen.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#407394 - 01/23/08 07:25 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: ColeyG]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Nor Cal,

You could always save yourself the hassle and just ship your gear to ColeyG. Have him wrap it in his waders and then put the whole bundle into his car for the night. It will come back fully saturdated and ready to fish. I hope you like pink?

-Kaiser D.

#407396 - 01/23/08 07:33 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Related topic...? I wouldn't waste my money on using scent for steelhead...especially wild ones in the spring...I'd guess they're about 95%, or more, visual.

For salmon, on the other hand, a full stable of different cures and scents is the difference between having a lot of good days, and the occasional good day when you happen to have the scent they like on at the right time.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#407404 - 01/23/08 08:07 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: ]
BaitDangler Offline
Fry

anybody remember Les Davis Bait Balm in the little gold can?

#407409 - 01/23/08 08:28 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: BaitDangler]
chukar79 Offline
Fry

Loc: idaho
jelly rocks. stays on very well. its pretty tasty atop an onion bagel or a drop in your favorite can of chaw too!!

#407416 - 01/23/08 08:51 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: chukar79]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

BD,

I have a can of it still...mostly gone, and I'm pretty sure it was just Vasilene with anise oil, but it was the *only* thing going at the time!

Fish on...

Todd

#407443 - 01/23/08 10:39 PM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: Todd]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
In big rivers, I would agree with you Todd, but in small or slow rivers I believe it can make a real difference. Example : One day I was fishing a small hole with several steelies in it when a jerk walked up and started casting a tipped jig over the top of me at them. About the third cast one slammed his shrimp but he totally missed it. I drenched my jig in shrimp oil, cast in and the same fish nailed it. I had been tossing at them for a while and had no resonse. Another time I had one swimming by my jig and not paying attention. In desperation, I loaded it up with a few pautzkes, drenched it in shrimp oil, and tossed it into the back eddy I saw her swimming by in. A few seconds later she swam back around and slowly approached the jig, backed up and then slowly inched up and tapped the jig. Without scent I never had a second look. Saying scent doesnt matter is like saying bait isn't more effective at times. Just like everything, I believe it is an important tool that at times can really make a difference.

#407491 - 01/24/08 01:55 AM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: Krijack]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

"I'd guess they're about 95%, or more, visual."

That leaves a few situations when scent is really helpful, and I'd say that almost all of those times are when you are fishing over dour hatchery fish in terminal areas...like Reiter in late August when the water is low, clear, and warm, and the fish that you're fishing over have been in that hole for six weeks...

That's a bit of an extreme example, but similar conditions or situations are prime times for using the right scent for steelhead...

Fish on...

Todd

#407494 - 01/24/08 02:06 AM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: ]
Blades™ Offline
Spawner

Loc: La La Land
I heard smelly jelly works awsome buying beer!!

Edited by Blades™ (01/24/08 02:07 AM)

#407496 - 01/24/08 02:12 AM Re: Smelly Jelly [Re: ]
Blades™ Offline
Spawner

Loc: La La Land
 Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
I hear smelly jelly really works wonders when your fishing for those saltwater grayling ;\) ...Later

Jake

I think your confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, Carcassman), 1060 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645301 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |