Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#411423 - 02/06/08 10:56 AM What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman"
ramrodncf Offline
Parr

Loc: Redmond, WA
Does anyone remember Jim Conway ?
Jim guided around the Portland area and wrote many articles as well as hosted the TV series "Outdoor Sportsman" in the late 1960's. I am trying to see what happened to these old video tapes and if there were any plans to release them on to DVD.
I was informed lately that Jim took his own life quite a few years back, which I have never heard before.
Can anyone confirm this ?
I have a DVD of Jim appearing with Larry on an episode of "Fishing the West" from 1984.
I was wondering if anyone had any information on Jim or if you could refer me to someone that might have some information on this subject.
Thank You

Sincerely
Don

Pacific Northwest Fishing Golden Years

#411447 - 02/06/08 12:05 PM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: ramrodncf]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Remember it well ,Seems as if there was a post awhile back about this show & fishing the west.

#411498 - 02/06/08 02:15 PM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: r2fishn]
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I remember him well, he was a regular on KOMO TV too, on Thur nights up here if I recall correctly. We did have a discussion on this a while back. This show inspired me as a kid, I would like to know what happened to JC too. Seems best bet is to call KOMO TV (and/or KGW)...they must have an archivist or library with all the shows and would be in the know. Let us know what you learn...

#411699 - 02/06/08 09:53 PM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: Yakutat Jack]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I remember all the chatter about the events of his passing. Never heard a concrete story but something about him having terminal cancer. Shortly thereafter, his rig was found driven off the road along the Columbia and into the river????

Just what I remember hearing.....don't know how accurate.

#411701 - 02/06/08 10:04 PM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: Eric]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I remember many of his shows.....remember him saying "let's get down the creek" and more than a few "lunches" that were cooked right next to the river.

Don't remember how he died but then those kinds of things, I choose not to keep in my "memory banks".

Thanks for the memories!!!!!! A time when there was lot's of fish, seemingly...everywhere!!!! A time when an "okie drifter" or a "sammy special" was all you needed to catch fish.......mmmm wow, can only wish for "days long gone"...

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#411718 - 02/06/08 10:45 PM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: DrifterWA]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
He had cancer, and took his own life.
I fished with him as a kid, he knew my grandfather and they fished together once in awhile.
Very nice person and had many stories that were great to listen to around the camp fire.
Used to love watching him on TV. He loved the sammy special! I still have a bunch of them in one of my many tackle boxes. Great rig for dragging upriver (bow man) while boondogging.
He really liked fishing the upper Hump.

#411731 - 02/06/08 11:01 PM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: GBL]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
He really liked fishing the upper Hump.

Interesting. Didn't know he fished these parts here on the coast. Always thought he was an Oregon/SW Washington guy......but then I was only 4 years old when his shows were on so what do I know!

#411790 - 02/07/08 01:40 AM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: Eric]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I remember his shows and watched them whenever I could.

Also, I remember fishing right along side of him on the Cowlitz about 30 or so years ago. He was pluggin' and I was boondoggin' for Summerruns.

He was indeed a BS'er. Nice guy.

fp

#411832 - 02/07/08 10:27 AM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: fp]
ramrodncf Offline
Parr

Loc: Redmond, WA
Thank you Guys for your memories of Jim. You have provided me with allot more details than I had from before this post went up.
I know that Jim appeared on Fishing the West in 1984, so he must of died after that. Would anyone know or want to take a guess as to what year that might have been ? I would like to put up a Web Page on my Site that is Dedicated to Jim's accomplishments.
Jim's book "Fishin' Holes" that came out in 1969 is a great record of some of the locations that the "Outdoor Sportsman" was filmed.
It makes a great read even now days and a great addition to any NW Sportsman's library.
If anyone is interested in getting a copy of this book, let me know.
I have a few extra copies both signed and not signed and I also know of some bookstores out there that still have a couple of them as well that I can refer you to.

Thanks Again
Don

You can email me from the bottom of any of my web pages from my web site link below or just send me a Private Message.
Pacific Northwest Fishing Golden Years

#411833 - 02/07/08 10:29 AM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: ramrodncf]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
One of my favorite books!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#411914 - 02/07/08 02:00 PM Re: What Happened to Jim Conway "Outdoor Sportsman" [Re: eddie]
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
His old boat, was it "Jimbo"? Was around Edmonds and Kingston til a couple years ago. I guess he used to charter out of Depoe Bay. Last I saw of it, it was anchored outside Kingston marina

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |