Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431853 - 04/30/08 11:36 PM Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders
MrOutdoors1 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Redmond, WA
Anybody have any experience with these? My neoprenes developed a leak while out flyfishing this week and I think Im going to make the move to breathables. Any recommendations? I hear lots of good thigs about simms, but the G4's are a a little spendy.

Edited by MrOutdoors1 (05/01/08 12:52 AM)

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

#431861 - 05/01/08 12:09 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: MrOutdoors1]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I have the Cabelas breathable and like them a lot. The price was right, too.

#431867 - 05/01/08 12:28 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Dan Bailey's waders always get high marks.

Cloudveils also get good reviews.

Simms waders are top-of-the-line, but like Jake I wear the Classic Guideweights to shave some off the cost. Still great waders, but not quite on the G3/G4 level.

The Cabela's Dry-Plus waders aren't quite on the same level as the others, but Cabela's has a pretty liberal return/exchange policy, so when they do leak......and they will.....you can get a new pair without much hassle.

Whatever you decide, get some fleece pants and longjohns to wear under them. Breathables don't insulate like neos do. But once you walk around in them for a day, you'll wonder what took you so long to kick the neos to the curb.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#431871 - 05/01/08 12:48 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: Dan S.]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
Cabela's return/exchange policy, nothing but the best. Have always been taken care of every time.

#431872 - 05/01/08 12:53 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: Gray Ghost]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
Dan - Since you mentioned leaking waders.... I've been meaning to ask: Is that pink material covering the front of yours a seam sealer of some sort? Or did you perhaps spill a milkshake? It's a tad unsightly, no offense.

#431874 - 05/01/08 12:59 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: MrOutdoors1]
Brad_tgl Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
 Originally Posted By: MrOutdoors1
Anybody have any experience with these? My neoprenes developed a leak while out flyfishing this week and I think Im going to make the move to breathables. Any recommendations? I hear lots of good thigs about simms, but the G4's are a a little spendy.

I've heard good things about the Dan Baileys. BTW If your big like t-bird and hopping through the woods it won't matter what kind you get you'll be going through a pair a week. Hope that's not the case.

#431875 - 05/01/08 01:01 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: LoweDown]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
The seam sealer label said it was supposed to be the same color as the cap.

But the cap wasn't pink.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#431876 - 05/01/08 01:17 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: Dan S.]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
The Wright McGill's are TOP of the line!!! the price are not however try them out you will not be disappointed

#431898 - 05/01/08 10:36 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: cowlitzkiller]
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Like anything else, you get what you pay for. My Simms G3 have lasted my 3 years so far and are still in great shape. I wear them about 90 to 100 days a year. I bought a pair of Dan Baliey's and they didn't last a year. Didn't help that the first time I wore them was fishing the mouth of the Russain river in Alaska and some dip wad hooked me above the boot with his foul hooked Red. The just wore out in a year, had a bunch of pin hole leaks due to wear. Prior to that I had a pair of the Simms Classic guide waders and they lasted me 3 years before they got burned up in a house fire.

Edited by stever in everett (05/01/08 10:36 AM)

#431926 - 05/01/08 12:02 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: stever in everett]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
What Jake and everyone just said.

Except don't use the pink seam sealer. I'd recommend trying Aquaseal on the *inside* of the waders/seams, first. ;\)

#431937 - 05/01/08 12:48 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: The Moderator]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
I just picked up the new Dan Bailey zipper fronts which are comparable to the G4 but $300 cheaper. Ive had "issues" with my lightweight DB in the past but they have always been great about getting them fixed or sending out a new pair for a nominal cost. WHatever you buy I would make sure the warranty is solid then spend as much as you can afford. My neoprenes havent seen water for 10 years. Cheers

#431943 - 05/01/08 01:20 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: stever in everett]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
 Originally Posted By: stever in everett
I bought a pair of Dan Baliey's and they didn't last a year. They just wore out in a year, had a bunch of pin hole leaks due to wear.

Same story with my Dan Bailey's. Fairly disappointing.

#431956 - 05/01/08 02:46 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I switched over to the breathable's this past winter run and should have done it 5-6 years ago.As far as the cabelas dry-plus I spent $220.00 for the pair I got and love them,plus you can't beat the warranty on them.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

I'd rather spend $400.00 on two pairs of dry-plus then $400.00 on one pair of simm's,but that's just me.

#431970 - 05/01/08 03:41 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
gw Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Albany, Or
I've got a set of them. First pair of breatheables that I've owned so I dont have much to compare them to, but god damn are they comfortable. I hope I never have to put on another pair of neoprene's in my life.

I doubt I wear them more than 25 times a year so if I get 5 seasons out of them how can I complain?

The wife even bought me a nice fleece wader suit to wear under them. Gives my fishing buddies something to make fun of when the fishing is slow.

#431984 - 05/01/08 05:17 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: gw]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Another option to consider are the Orvis Silver Labels. Orvis has great customer service and a shop in Bellevue should you ever have any problems.

They also have the Endura model. They run $129.00. I bought a pair of these a few years ago as a back-up for my Simms. The Simms finally gave out and I haven't had any issue with them in a couple of years use. Last year they had them on sale for $69.00 a pair. I couldn't pass that price up and bought two more pairs for future use.

Whatever you get, figure they'll leak or blow out over time. They all do no matter what brand you buy.

#431997 - 05/01/08 06:46 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: stonefish]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bellingham
I have had the Cloudveil 8x's and they are a nice wader, until you have a problem with them. Cloudveils customer service absolutely SUCKS! When Cloudveil first came on the fishing scene, they were pushing Simms to step up there quality and customer service. Simms responded and Cloudveil has turned out to be a flop. I have and have had several Cloudveil products and can say without a doubt, I will never again throw a dime their way.

Doesn't really answer your question about Cabelas Breathables, but I sure feel better now that I got that off my chest....again ;\)

#432004 - 05/01/08 07:20 PM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: stever in everett]
Jaba'da butt Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kelso, wa.
My Oneil's Neoprene waders are 20 years old and still going! Lifetime gauranteed.

#432077 - 05/02/08 02:15 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
MrOutdoors1 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Redmond, WA
 Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
I'd rather spend $400.00 on two pairs of dry-plus then $400.00 on one pair of simm's,but that's just me.

I agree with ya there!

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

#432087 - 05/02/08 04:59 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: MrOutdoors1]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
if you're smart, you'll only spend $200 on the dry plus waders, and exchange them for a new pair when they wear out ;\)

#432302 - 05/03/08 12:53 AM Re: Cabelas Guidewear Dry-Plus Breathable Waders [Re: stever in everett]
FISH'N BRASS Offline
Parr

Loc: U. PLACE, WA
Forgot to mention in PM-Tailwaters are poorly designed and unsat IMO-suspenders poorly designed, waist is not good and they have no pockets- sent mine back and replaced with G3"S. Relayed this info to Orvis.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |