THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432546 - 05/04/08 05:23 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Steelheadman]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
 Originally Posted By: Steelheadman

If there is a problem with food supply would we not see a difference in the size of returning adults?

Last year was a prime example.... There were plenty of malnutritioned adults in the springer return..

Keith

#432547 - 05/04/08 05:26 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Steelheadman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It's all kinds of competition, but wild and hatchery fish of the same species occupy the same niche their entire lives (after hatchery release), eating the same foods, in the same places, at the same times...they are in direct competition from the day they are together in the river until the hatchery fish are either culled out by adult collection facilities or killed by a fisherman, for their entire lives.

There is all kinds of indirect competition, and direct competition, too, between all types of animals...but that's not what we're talking about here...we're talking about the direct, immediate, known, and measured competition between a hatchery fish and a wild fish of the same species.

I'm not kidding...read the stuff I searched up on Google...every single one of them will tell you the same thing...like I said, this is not some new or controversial subject, this is a very fundamental and accepted cost of hatchery programs.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#432583 - 05/04/08 09:18 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
 Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
excessive and stupid posts really bother me.

hmmm...

#432587 - 05/04/08 09:31 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Todd]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
 Originally Posted By: Todd
It's all kinds of competition, but wild and hatchery fish of the same species occupy the same niche their entire lives (after hatchery release), eating the same foods, in the same places, at the same times...they are in direct competition from the day they are together in the river until the hatchery fish are either culled out by adult collection facilities or killed by a fisherman, for their entire lives.

There is all kinds of indirect competition, and direct competition, too, between all types of animals...but that's not what we're talking about here...we're talking about the direct, immediate, known, and measured competition between a hatchery fish and a wild fish of the same species.

I'm not kidding...read the stuff I searched up on Google...every single one of them will tell you the same thing...like I said, this is not some new or controversial subject, this is a very fundamental and accepted cost of hatchery programs.

Fish on...

Todd

Okay I'm back to the computer, I wish my weeds in the yard would starve.

I checked your search about this "competition"

http://www.issaquahfish.org/faq/index.html#q11
"Issue: Hatchery salmon compete with the wild salmon for food.
Response: The Issaquah Salmon Hatchery produces approximately 2 million chinook smolts and 500,000 coho yearlings each season. These smolts are released when their bodies are beginning to go through hormonal changes signaling their readiness to migrate to saltwater. The release during the smolting stage is timed so that the hatchery fish will migrate rapidly to the Ballard Locks, sometimes as fast as 41 miles in two days, to minimize competition with wild fish for food."

http://www.krisweb.com/biblio/sft_usbor_pwa_1994_sftplan/pwa2.htm
"While competition between hatchery and wild fish has not been conclusively proven, the California Department of Fish and Game recently reaffirmed their commitment to limiting production at the basin's two large hatcheries to levels needed for mitigation.

So why don't we see a rebound in native fish where hatchery production has been curtailed or eliminated?

I think that both can co-exist from sound hatchery management. Here's a an example, http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/Siletz_Report.pdf

It's nice to see that the native summerun population has rebounded from the early to mid 90's. A few years ago they were getting good returns of both.

They are concerned about last season's poor run of fall Chinook that they are talking about lowering limits and having a bait ban in the fall.

I don't see the coho run rebounding even though the tribe is operating the old Rock Creek hatchery to help. Remember when KitzClubber killed 30,000 coho on the Alsea? I don't think that had much impact on the wild runs.

#432590 - 05/04/08 09:46 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: ]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

I'm glad I was away from the computer all afternoon, excessively stupid posts really bother me. Steelheadman, why would you think that competition between steelhead and other species is an issue when you say that steelhead don't even compete amongst themselves? I think it's time for you to face the facts, because your WRONG!!!!! Oh, and what does me and Todd fishing for hatchery steelhead have to do with anything?...Later

Jake

Jake where did I say steelhead don't even compete amongst themselves?

Where are the facts? You need to think before you post and stop taking things out of context. I've looked at what Todd posted - 5 pages and I haven't found any conclusive evidence. Wow smolts in Lake Washington are competing for food for 2 whole days. Give me a frigging break! Do you just post to harass people? Talk about stupid.

#432591 - 05/04/08 10:02 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Steelheadman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I don't recall anyone in this thread saying they can't co-exist...all I recall is you saying that hatchery and wild fish "don't compete", and that "hatchery fish being present reduces pressure on wild fish"...and me taking exception to both of those statements.

The reason that many stocks have not rebounded after fishing was stopped over them and hatchery plants have been stopped in the same watershed is that by the time the things killing them were removed (harvest and hatchery fish), it was far too late...they were almost gone already.

Currently, a lot of this is due to the fact that habitat destruction was so rampant that there isn't anywhere left for them to spawn or rear.

The clouds of hatchery fish obscured a few things...before they were being clipped, they obscured the fact that after a few short years of intense harvest over intermingled hatchery and wild stocks, the wild component of the run was almost gone, and due to high survival rates (common at the beginning of hatchery programs), habitat destruction went along unabated...

"Look at all the fish in the river! No need to change anything!'

...until they started clipping fish and found out that a disproportionately high percentage of the fish returning were hatchery fish...the wild fish that depend on lower harvest rates and good habitat to flourish were wiped out.

Without stopping habitat destruction, but stopping harvest and/or hatchery plants, all that was left was the ever-diminishing remnant of the wild stock...and then the ESA kicked in and "recovery" started...yeah, recovery.

On rivers like the Nisqually it appears that the stock was so bad off that it may not ever have sufficient numbers to recover at all...it's the same situation with the Lk. Washington steelhead numbers. It was sea lions that "overharvested" the run, but by the time steps were taken to stop it, it was too late...there just weren't enough fish left.

Minimizing the risks posed to wild stocks by hatchery fish is just one of the many things that will have to be done in order to recover anything...reducing harvest pressures on depressed stocks, especially in mixed-stock fisheries, is a no brainer, too...a no brainer, that is, if we actually want to get recovery.

The biggest limiting factor on most stocks around here is habitat...the rivers just can't support enough fish to "recover" them, at least not to anywhere near "harvestable" levels, which is how many, if not most define "recovery".

It used to be that during periods of poor marine conditions that fish like steelhead had various life history strategies to help them weather the storm...chief amongst them were abundance and genetic diversity, the two things that are most lost to our wild stocks.

Abundance is obvious...there just aren't many around anymore. When I say "genetic diverstity" I mean diversity over many fields...time, size, life history, etc. In a fully functional population there are fish returning over a long time period...a cataclysmic event, or a periodic downturn in productivity, that factors against a certain life history trait is made up for the numbers available in the other life history forms. Removing abundance of any one life history strategy will, eventually, remove abundance for them all...they are all interconnected and important parts of the population.

When abundance is low for a component, and then an event occurs that factors against the other components, there's nothing left to take up the slack, and extinction or local extirpation is right around the corner.

In virtually all cases hatchery fish are bad for the wild stocks...far from reducing pressure on the wild stocks, they are often the sole reason that there is any fishing pressure on the wild stock at all. Mixed stock fisheries are the bane of wild stocks. Genetic drift from hatchery fish to the wild stock reduces its already challenged fitness and productivity. Mining of eggs from wild stocks to create new and "improved" hatchery runs is just that...killing wild fish to make hatchery fish.

The challenge is not to pretend that hatchery fish are good for wild fish, or to even pretend that they are benign...the challenge is to acknowlege what the effects from hatchery fish are, and to strive to ameliorate those effects as best as possible, or we won't have many fish to fish for at all, since that's the function provided mainly by hatchery fish.

Fish on...

Todd

#432593 - 05/04/08 10:05 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Steelheadman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

[quote=Steelheadman]

Jake where did I say steelhead don't even compete amongst themselves?

Where are the facts? You need to think before you post and stop taking things out of context. I've looked at what Todd posted - 5 pages and I haven't found any conclusive evidence. Wow smolts in Lake Washington are competing for food for 2 whole days.[quote]

To be fair, you've said it repeatedly, and clearly you still think it doesn't happen.

I'm reminded of the saying that "you can lead a horse to water..." you know the rest. Feel free to not be convinced...it's a free world...but realize that your "opinion" is in direct opposition to all the facts otherwise.

Carry on.

Fish on...

Todd

#432600 - 05/04/08 10:52 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: ]
jandlfishingguide Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Steelheadman
I don't think hatchery fish and wild fish "compete" for food....I have never seen wild fish that appear like they are starving....Actually I've noticed that the hatchery summeruns I've caught the last few years seem to be getting bigger with 10 lbs the average. Even the winter broodstock seem to be getting bigger.

Just because you've never seen a "starving" wild fish doesn't mean there isn't competition between hatchery and native steelhead. A fish that is strong enough, and able to feed itself is going to do just that. A fish that isn't, is going to die. THAT is why you never see "starving" native's OR hatchery fish. Your post contradicts itself btw...Later

Jake

Jake, isn't that the idea behind Darwin's Experiment....

Survival of the fittest?

Maybe hatchery fish are stronger, able to feed themselves better

I think it works both ways.

#432602 - 05/04/08 10:54 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: jandlfishingguide]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I hope that's some sort of a weird joke, Jerry...

#432606 - 05/04/08 10:55 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: ]
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
[/quote] and they actually prey on wild fish.

WTF? Thats a new one on me! Which scientist figured that comment out.

I would really like to read the evidence on that Marsha!

#432607 - 05/04/08 10:57 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Todd]
Repeat Spawner

I hope that's some sort of a weird joke, Jerry...

No not wierd just a joke I guess.

If hatchery fish are competing for food and habitat with wild fish and winning, which is more fit? Hatchery, or Wild?

Just a question now not a joke.

#432609 - 05/04/08 11:01 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: jandlfishingguide]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

They're not "winning"...they're all losing, but not nearly so much as us fishermen are.

Jerry, juvenile hatchery fish of one species are very well known for feeding upon the wild juveniles of another...care to give it a guess as to which one?

Fish on...

Todd

#432610 - 05/04/08 11:06 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Todd]
Repeat Spawner

I think it's too simplistic to blame the downfall of wild fish on any one factor...but usually by the time they stop planting hatchery fish and stop harvest fishing over a depressed stock it's far too late to do any good...

The Nisqually is a point in fact...a very strong native run of steelhead was fished down to the point that it could barely survive...stopping fishing and hatchery plants of winter runs has done little to help, but the stock was pretty much functionally extinct by the time they did it.

Fish on...

Todd

I feel that this is FOC's ideology on the Cowlitz Late Winter Wild fish right now!

#432613 - 05/04/08 11:10 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: jandlfishingguide]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

...except on the Nisqually there's no actual "recovery plan", and those are true native fish...on the Cowlitz there's a big plan in place, but it's using "wild" fish of presumably "as close to native stock" as we can get...essentially using hatchery fish of local origin, I believe...

Hard to compare the Nisqually with the Cowlitz...the Cowlitz receives millions of planted fish per year, thousands of fish caught, a jillion man hours spent chasing 'em...while the Nisqually presents some excellent fall snagging opportunities, with a few anglers who actually go out and catch some legally, and zero steelhead opportunity.

Fish on...

Todd

#432617 - 05/04/08 11:25 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Todd]
Repeat Spawner

Glad I went fishing today and missed the Hatchery versus wild lecture at the University of PP.

By the way, here 3 that are no longer in the equation.

Attachments
0502080655.jpg

0503080733.jpg

0503080758.jpg

#432620 - 05/04/08 11:28 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: jandlfishingguide]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Well, there's three fish that aren't part of the problem!

#432621 - 05/04/08 11:30 PM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: Todd]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Jake, Maybe I perceived you and Todd as being in Aunties anti - hatchery corner. You may be right that you and Todd fishing for hatchery fish has nothing to do with this topic. Just because hatchery fish may not be as good as wild fish doesn't make them worthless in my opinion. I still think the "competition" thing between hatchery and native is overated as I think there is enough food for both to co-exist. Yes there is competition between individual fish and different species. Have they ever studied competition between sexes? I just don't see the numbers and the cause and effect. There are other more significant issues like preditation, pollution, disease, climate, etc. 80% of the effects are attributed to 20% of the causes. Maybe there is "competition" but I would guess the effect would be small maybe just 1% or less. Just because it's posted on the internet or read in a magazine doesn't make it true.

Todd, If they shut down the hatchery fish runs where could you fish and what would be the impact on the wild fish? I've seen figures as high as 10% on hook mortality.

Maybe somebody will figure out why the runs are not doing too well this year. If they find out it's because of a food problem be it in the rivers or the salt then I'll eat my words. Yes it concerns me that the runs on the Columbia tribs are down this year to date. Hopefully they are late because of the cool water.

#432642 - 05/05/08 12:39 AM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: ]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
9686 Kings went over Bonnie today. Along w/ 409 jacks, which is almost twice as many jacks as had crossed all spring before today.

#432645 - 05/05/08 12:57 AM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: LoweDown]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I don't think hatchery fish are worthless...I eat about 50 of 'em a year, so they definitely have some worth.

Translating that worth into "good" for wild fish, or "benign" to hatchery fish, would be a weird conclusion to come to, however...

I don't know how much the competition between wild and hatchery fish for food, rearing habitat, or spawning habitat effects the ability of wild fish to prosper...I think it would be hard to put an exact number on it, depending on which factor you are looking.

The "spawning habitat" part is easily documented...the more hatchery fish participating in the spawning group, the worse the fish do...period. That one's easily and clearly identified.

Rearing habitat is a little harder, but the hatchery fish of the same species at the same time tend to overwhelm the native fish not only in sheer numbers, but in individual success, too, because they are large than their wild cousins due to growing in the relatively safe hatchery environment.

In a perfect world, this would mean that the hatchery fish would be more successful than the wild fish, and would not only outcompete them for space and food, but would outcompete them when it comes to returning adults...the problem is that this is rarely, if ever the case.

Just like hatchery fish on the spawning grounds, they compete for and use up the limited spawning territories...the juveniles also compete for and use up the limited feeding opportunities...that being said, they all go out to sea, compete for food there, too...and when all is said and done and they return to their natal streams to spawn, relatively speaking the native fish far outcompete them on "replacement values".

What this means is that the hatchery fish steal space...they steal food...they steal spawning areas...and at the end of the day, the wild fish still outperform them based on percentage of juveniles that become productive parts of the spawning community.

This is relevant because if hatchery fish take up 1/2 of the spawning territories, for example, but only return 1/3 the adults, then we are being cheated out of 66% of the returning fish we'd have if the hatchery fish were not on the spawning grounds to begin with.

If all that was spawning were the low abundance, but high success rate wild fish, in the long run it would improve both spawning success and abundance overall.

Fish on...

Todd

#432668 - 05/05/08 08:06 AM Re: Poor returns call for an answer [Re: ]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Yesterdays count was 6340 with 236 jacks.

So if it's all ocean conditions and there isn't enough food in the ocean because of it, how smart is it to use the "ocean" for a salmon ranch like some of you keep proposing?

How smart is it to keep removing the biomass that salmon feed on? Maybe putting millions and millions of hatchery fish out there to compete with the wild fish we're trying to recover isn't such a smart idea after all.

If hatcheries only yield great returns when the ocean conditions are good, and contribute to wild/native declines when it's bad... it's not too hard to draw a $25 expert conclusion.

Another way of looking at it is that each hatchery raised fish in the ocean is food for another preditor up the food chain. If that hatchery raised fish wasn't there and there wasn't another food source, then the wild fish gets eaten instead.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |