Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433264 - 05/07/08 07:22 PM Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)-
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place
Out to what range do you feel comfortable squeezing off a shot on big-game w/ black powder rifle? (Legal WA blk pwdr rifles only).
List the following
range of comfort
rifle type / caliber
powder type
bullet type

Lofty

I shoot a Remington model 700 /.50 cal / 89 grains 777 / Thompson Center Max-hunter bullets 280 gr. for deer.

#433300 - 05/07/08 10:06 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Lofty]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Lofty,

I shoot pretty much the same set-up as you listed.

I do shoot a lighter bullet (230gr in my memory serves me) and I do shoot 95grs of "Cartridge" powder.

I have shot mine extensively out to 200 yards with no accuracy issues. I am comfortable out to that range, assuming a good rest is available.

When hunting big game, however, I much prefer to shoot at a 125 yards or less.

Gotta love those Remington 700 ML's

Edited by Big_Daddy (05/07/08 10:26 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification of statement

#433301 - 05/07/08 10:07 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Lofty]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Under a 100 yards is the most comfortable to me. I shoot the 250 grain polymer tip for deer. My rifle is a traditions and it has killed two deer under fifty yards and the bullet went clean through. I shoot the 348 grain powerbelt for elk. I have killed one elk with the projectile at 40 yards. The bullet mushroomed perfectly and found it embeded in the opposite shoulder. For both projectiles I use 90 grains of pyrodex pellets the 30 grain variety.

j7 2012

#433337 - 05/08/08 12:20 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: j 7]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
75 yards and under and it is dead meat. 100 yards is about as far as I want to shoot, but I prefer to make it less than 50. 25 and under is interesting. Closest was about 7 yards. Best shot was a 65 yard head shot, offhand. Not too far of a tracking job was required.

T/C Thunderhawk in .54 cal. Taken a number of elk (6, I think), lots of blacktails (maybe 9), and a pair of mule deer. Add in a bunny or two, a coyote, and a half dozen grouse. I may upgrade this year to the Knight Bighorn, also in .54.

Prior to alternative powders I used Pyrodex, 110 grains. Now I use 777, same 110 grain load. Ragged hole at 75 yards.

Hornady Great Plains semi wadcutter hollow point in the 390 grain weight. They expand out to over an inch and I usually find them under the hide on the far side. Every bit of energy is left in the deer or elk. Moving slower it also damages less meat. Usually I cut out about a cup or so.

Great way to hunt. No crowds.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#433342 - 05/08/08 12:43 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Dogfish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I have a .45 Kentucky kit by CVA. Love to shoot it but have never seen an animal while hunting. Based on the ballistics and drop I would probably not shoot past about 75 yds. If fact, I probably wouldn't treat it much different than my bow. I'd shoot at the same distances and probably not push it. Like the arrows, it will kill a lot futher than I can accurately place the shot.

#433405 - 05/08/08 12:19 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Carcassman]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
I have a T/C Black Diamond XLR. Off hand I am comfortable up to 75 yards but wouldnt hesitate making a 100 yard shot off a rest.

I shoot 130 grains of pyrodex pellets 2 50's and 1 30. Accompanied with a 348 grain powerbelt and it is badass. A couple years ago I shot an elk at 75 yards that was walking right at me. The bullet entered the center of the chest took out the heart, lungs, and traveled all the way to the opposite end of the elk. I dug the perfectly mushroomed projectile out of one the the hind quarters.

#433419 - 05/08/08 01:05 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: huntncoug]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I'm just shopping around for my first ML. I have a feeling that my favorite river could be on an extended brown-out this fall, and I think this will be the year to branch out a bit.

I already had a conversation with DF about this stuff. My research is just starting.

#433446 - 05/08/08 02:53 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Rocket Red]
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Sweet! nice work all.
I want to go up to the forest and get a paper deer target on decent sized plywood board and see where I'm at. Hunted a few seasons but really don't know how far out my set-up is accurate out to. I feel comfortable out to about 55 yds presently.
I think this plywood target should help me conclude my 'comfort zone'.
I passed up a REALLY NICE large blk bear last fall in E WA - didn't have a range finder but he was a bit past my 'zone' and didn't squeeze off a shot off.
Love the muzzle-loader seasons that is certain.
Lofty

#433544 - 05/09/08 02:20 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Lofty]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Anyone looking for a good ML should definately look at the T/C Black Diamond XLR. A good friend of mine and my girlfriend have the Remington and they have had nothing but trouble. It looks really good and feels really good but they have to shoot a cap twice before it goes off most times. I know a lot of people with the Black Diamond and it is fool proof and accurate

#433686 - 05/09/08 05:57 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: huntncoug]
eggman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Wash, Pierce, SouthPraire
80 yards if the animal is standing still and I have a rest, I shoot a Remington Inline and have found that 90 grains of Tripple seven gives me the best accuracy. I dont spend much time in open country, because I prefer the brush, so I load with 370gr TC maxi Balls, the 90 grains of pouder drives them all the way through the shoulders on a Elk. Huntncoug mentions the trouble with having to shoot the cap twice, I've had the same thing happen to me , (Nothing like having a loud click and no fire when you have a bull at 25 yards) After it happened the second time I started checking my nipples and found that they had been flattend out on the end and would not allow the cap to seat properly. Now I change my nipples often and havent had the problem. I agree that the T/C is the Gun to get, but make sure you get Stainless it will save you alot of trouble

#433711 - 05/09/08 08:09 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: eggman]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Eggman, the problem my buddy and girlfriend have is in their firing pin. It gets flattened out and needs to be filed so it fits cleanly through the hole in the bolt. I also second getting stainless, blackpowder is super corrosive at it is, stainless is a lot less trouble.

#433962 - 05/11/08 05:13 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: huntncoug]
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Get a Knight Bighorn.They are the cats meow!

#434146 - 05/13/08 01:11 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: HntnFsh]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Knight Disc Extreme with the Western Disc Conversion. You won't beet the rifle!!!! Picked mine up new on Gun Broker.com. I would take a rested shot @ 200 yrds.

What ever you buy use the triple 7 loose powder. It will blow yer mind how easy it cleans up with just water. And if you shoot it over a crono you will see better numbers than any other powder.

Kris

#434171 - 05/13/08 10:14 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: dcrzfitter]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Does the "Western Disc conversion" convert it to a Washington legal rifle?

#434803 - 05/16/08 07:57 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Dogfish]
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

I had some major mis-fire issues last Fall w/ my Remington 700.
Found out it was completely caused by not cleaning the bolt assembly as directed in owners manual. I did not have a vice installed on bench at the time of purchase and forgot bolt cleaning entirely until this Fall.

The firing spring in the bolt was crudded up really well and the spring was caked with rust. I soaked the spring in cleaning solvent, cleaned up the bolt assembly really well and polished up the spring w/ steel wool and re-assembled. The spring is much more powerful now.
Have not had an issue yet.

You just gotta clean those Remington's a bit more than the rest, but I love my rifle. Very well balanced.
Just takes awhile to clean back at the house after a day afield.

Really been thinking of getting a Co2 load discharger to avoid the whole cleaning business after a day of hunting (when you don't get a shot at an animal).

My uncle carries the same gun and told me that 90 grains of powder is what that rifle likes. He's a hunter's hunter and toook his advice whole-heartedly. So far, so good.
Just need to get out there more and target shoot more often.

Lofty

#434804 - 05/16/08 07:58 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

I lied on the powder I use.
I use Hodgeman's RF Pyrodex ....whoops. Not 777. Not yet anyhow..

#434857 - 05/17/08 11:07 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Lofty]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Pyrodex, while not as bad as real black powder, is still fairly corrosive. You might want to give 777 or that Jim Shockey powder a try. It is like shooting a gun with regular smokeless powder.

#434888 - 05/17/08 08:38 PM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Dogfish]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Dogfish,

Yes it does. If you buy a new gun with the wrong breech plug then just call Knight. (you probably won't find one with the right one) they will send you the right stuff at no cost if it's not used. it's called The Western Disc conversion system. basically it is just a breach plug that will allow you to use the caps that we need to use. I really like my disc extreme. it shoots good and I don't have one of them goofy bolts you pull back to cock it. it's like a normall rifle with a fireing pin. the only complaint I have is the trigger pull. I am use to good triggers in my custom guns. Every ML I have shot had a bad trigger. IMO If ididn't buy the Knight I think i would buy the Rem 700 ML I like the way they feel in my hands.

I shoot .50 cal with a sabot made by Precission Rifle Bullets. It's .45 cal and shoots really flat. I can't remember what wieght but it's blue. I think it's around 300 grn. I have been shooting 110 grns of Hog. triple 7 FFF I just havn't taken the time to try it hotter. It shot great @ that so I went hunting. this summer I will try working up to the max and see how it groups.

Kris

#442513 - 07/07/08 01:58 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: dcrzfitter]
fishnclifff Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver WA
I have a Traditions Deerhunter 50 cal.
I currently shoot Pyrodex and round balls.
@ questions:
Can I shoot Pyrodex pellets with this gun and
Aren't Sabot illegal in Washington?

#442525 - 07/07/08 10:08 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: fishnclifff]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Yes you can shoot pellets with any gun, but you may experience ignition problems if it is a traditional side lock percussion rifle. Sabot rounds are legal as long as they have an all lead projectile (no copper jacket)

#446358 - 08/01/08 02:03 AM Re: Black Powder rifle accuracy (WA legal guns)- [Re: Dogfish]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I own 3 Knight Bighorns, all stainless/synthetic and my last one I bought with the thumbhole stock. I also own a Remington 700, Ruger M77 and a White. My favorite one of all is the Knight Bighorn. I've played around with all the guns and different loads and I've found that I can shoot the most powder at the highest velocities out of the bighorn...

I shoot Triple 7 pellets (150 grains) and a 295 grain powerbelt. I can shoot 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards consistently. My Remington would do similar groups but with 90 grains of powder and about 350 fps less. I really didn't like the Remington because it would misfire on the rare occassion.

I've never had a misfire with my Knight Bighorns, but I do shoot the musket caps.

As far as total distance, I feel deadly comfortable out to 125 yards and with a rest to 175. If I could shoot with a scope I'd be comfortable out to 225 as I've shot that distance open sighted but can't hold groups as it's hard to see..........

My biggest buck was killed at 119 yards freehand while laying in his bed......

Keith thumbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (eddie), 1292 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |