Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#435561 - 05/22/08 11:17 AM Memo to Al Gore
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Hey Al,

I hope this isn't an "inconvenient" time for you, but I wanted to share my thoughts on global warming. Every third weekend in April, I plant my first two rows of corn. This year some white frozen stuff fell from the sky and ruined those rows, so I had to replant them. Last evening I built a bonfire next to my garden to keep my tomatoes, peppers, and onions from freezing. Nothing like wearing a long-sleeve shirt, a long-sleeve sweatshirt and a fleece vest on May 21st.

Global warming? Why don't you pay my heating bill this month, since it's so warm? Gotta go now and put another log on the fire.

Warmly,

Snake Pliskin

#435573 - 05/22/08 12:18 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Snake Pliskin]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yeah, because weather patterns in your local area define global warming.

Globe. All. Global.

I know it's hard to believe, but the weather in Fall City really isn't the center of our universe, let alone the Globe.

FAIL!

PS. As the inventor of the IntraNets, Gore really mean to call it "Global Climate Change" instead of "Global Warming".

PPS. Read up on La Nina weather patterns. The entire North West is experiencing a pretty typical cold spring, as one would expect.

#435578 - 05/22/08 01:29 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
I like it when people claim insight into the entire world by what they see in their backyard. Reminds me of the tsarist Russian peasants who ripped up the new railroad tracks because it new, scary, & didn't fit into their concept of how things should be and had been for 1000 years.

Massive crop failures due to weather pattern changes were pretty well covered by the research in Gore's lecture & book. If you'd have taken the time to watch the film or read the book, you'd have known that, but I suppose that would have meant missing NASCAR.

By the way, do you homeschool your children?

#435579 - 05/22/08 01:31 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Irie]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

I think Stam has it right.

Enumclaw *is* the Center of the Universe. I know KK will agree with me on this one.

(One big gaping sucking black hole)

laugh

PS. As big gaping sucking black holes go, that place sure does grow some mighty fine rhubarb! thumbs

#435584 - 05/22/08 02:05 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: The Moderator]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Funny anecdote about Global Warming. I walk around downtown Oly with my boss nearly every afternoon. This time of the year on every corner is either Greenpeace, or Environment Washington, or both.

One particularly cold May day (I think 2 weeks ago), my boss (who, politically, is 2 steps to the right of Attila the Hun) told one of them "Hey, tell Al Gore, to send some global warming our way, because I'm fckin' freezin'! The poor greener said "If you sign this sheet and donate your time or money, you can help save our planet." Boss says "So if I sign that sheet its going to be even colder here?" Greener says, "We're working to save the planet!" Boss says "What about this global warming here in Oly?" Greener: "Together, we can make it better."

It was pretty entertaining.

#435586 - 05/22/08 02:29 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Rocket Red]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I think Snake just added a little proof to the Climate Change argument unless he doesn't know what he's doing in the garden.

RR...yeah I remember when those right wing nut jobs were too busy standing on street corners yelling to go to war. Seems they have more time on their hands these days.

#435588 - 05/22/08 02:37 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Rocket Red]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
I finally planted my tomatoes, tomatillos and peppers last night as they'd outgrown the pots and were falling over. I was dressed for February weather also. Any smudge pots still around?

One of my old homies called from Cabo, where he spends the winter, asking if the weather was still cold. When I told him it sucked, he complained as he's rented his condo out for 5 months starting 6/1 so he can't stay there any longer and doesn't want to come up where it's cold.
Whiner! I told him he was turning into a puss, so he shut up. If we hadn't been friends for almost 50 years, I'd tell him to blow it out his a$$. Life should be so tough. Sheesh........

#435589 - 05/22/08 02:37 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Rocket Red]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Parker,
This not just here, this is across all north america and part of Europe. The coldest winter since teh 60's and in the top five on record. I believe in climate change as well and that we pump to much crap into the atmos but there seems to be a lot of looking at sunspots. these seem to have been a much better predicator of climate. Those looking at the spots predicated a very cold winter (la nina or not) and say it will be colder for the coming years as well.
Gores film takes none of this into account and points everything to Co2. Gore, regardless of La Nina stated it should have contniued to warm with his predications. He cherry picks what he wants and ignores the contradicatory stuff. Makes generalizations and uses fake data and images to make points. Bottom line is the film(which I watched) was full of B.S. I still thank him for putting it out there though. The more recycling and cleaner the earth the better. I think there is a lot more than just Co2 and meth that factor in......only time will tell I guess

#435596 - 05/22/08 03:12 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: docspud]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Memo to Parker and Irie: The thread was a joke, poking fun at the bad weather. Lighten up.

Second memo to Irie: Never watched a Nascar race in my life. By the way, both of my kids graduated with honors and I was my class Salutatorian. But nice try to be funny.

#435599 - 05/22/08 03:39 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

#435600 - 05/22/08 03:42 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Snake Pliskin]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Originally Posted By: Snake Pliskin
Memo to Parker and Irie: The thread was a joke, poking fun at the bad weather. Lighten up.

Let's see if THIS is a joke and something to poke fun at......

#435604 - 05/22/08 03:58 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Just regular pirates.

With an upcoming Democrat about to take the oval office, the number of butt pirates will probably rise.

Uh...really bad pun..intended.

#435605 - 05/22/08 04:06 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: stlhead]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stlhead

RR...yeah I remember when those right wing nut jobs were too busy standing on street corners yelling to go to war. Seems they have more time on their hands these days.

Some of the right wing nut jobs still come out in Oly. Every Friday afternoon, we have duelling protests. We have the anti war/impeach bush on the Puget Sound side of the road, and the "Ladies in Black" stand stoically across the road on the Capitol Lake side. The troop supporters are pushed into the island at the east end of those sides. The problem is all the groups are so close that when a passerby honks their horn in support of any group they all take credit for the support honk.

#435608 - 05/22/08 04:16 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Rocket Red]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I'd like to see a reality show where they let protestors go at it signs and all.
Then bring in the pirates to clean up the mess.

#435612 - 05/22/08 04:34 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: stlhead]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

#435711 - 05/23/08 04:06 AM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Rocket Red]
Cirrhosis-of-the-river Offline
Parr

Loc: SW Washington
Should it be so annoying to see people ignore the fact that Al Gore is nothing more than a messenger?
Hint: If Jay Leno stops referring to Gore-Warming in his monologues, we can all rest assured the subject hasnt been funny for a while.
Wouldnt it be cool if Gore was allowed to drift off into obscurinimity. He's got some ground to cover if he's going to catch up to Dan Quale.

Environmental science, ecologists, meteorologists, corn-farmers and even the freaks at NOAA all have slightly different explanations/theories of "global warming" and "Climate change" Many of them actually make perfect sense.

Climate change is irrelevantly obvious to most people including those sitting in a lawn chair in the back yard penning the extended list of everything that sucks about life and who's to blame.
However, dismissing the term "global warming" because your own alloted hectare is currently colder than normal is somewhat neanderthalic thinking.

The world is not flat. But dont take my word for it. If youre interested enough, you'll go see it for yourself.

#435726 - 05/23/08 10:46 AM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Cirrhosis-of-the-river]
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
You all know it is Bill Clinton's fault don't you, oh and the Democratic congress, it's their fault also. The industrial nations of the world have been working on this for a while so that a race of aliens will find our planet suitable for their needs. Quick get the tin foil hats on if you want to protect your self.

#435737 - 05/23/08 12:15 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: stever in everett]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Al Gore thinks, ".....Let's see, since I got all of these folks worked up into a lather by calling it global warming, but it is actually getting cooler, maybe I can string them along for a longer period of time by changing it to climate change? Yeah, that's the ticket! I can just see them giving me another Nobel Prize for this! Now where's Tipper? I need a sammich. "

The last time I checked the earth has been in a constant state of climate change. The only constant has been change.

Do it for the polar bears 'cause they're people too.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#435743 - 05/23/08 12:35 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: stever in everett]
Idahoman Offline
Fry

Actually, it's Willie Bloomquist's fault.

#435763 - 05/23/08 01:56 PM Re: Memo to Al Gore [Re: Dogfish]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
The last time I checked the earth has been in a constant state of climate change. The only constant has been change.

It's called a sine wave.

The waves come and the waves go. Been doing that for millions and millions of years

It's the last wave that keeps on getting bigger and bigger and bigger - something that hasn't been seen on this planet.

Actually, I just made that all up. Let's go kill some wild steelhead!

laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1001 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |