Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#439725 - 06/18/08 02:09 PM GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I just saw on the news that the General Accounting Office found seven significant errors in the way the Air Force conducted the bidding process for the new many billion dollar tanker contract, and has recommended that the Air Force re-open the bidding process to give Boeing another shot at it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#439726 - 06/18/08 02:09 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

#439737 - 06/18/08 02:34 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: Todd]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Good for our region.

#439776 - 06/18/08 06:23 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: stlhead]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Well, I speculated on some stocks from one of Lockheeds main steel part fabricators after that whole fiasco. Looks like I should get ready to drop it. Thanks for the info.

#439838 - 06/18/08 11:39 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I'm surprised that the news was silent today about the fact that McCain and those connected to his campaign have received several hundred thousand dollars in contributions from Airbus/EADS, and that McCain has been defending the Pentagon's decision to sell the contract to the French all along...

I wonder if he'll have anything to say about it tomorrow? I'm guessing not...not unless someone asks him, which would frankly be a serious breach of journalistic integrity to give him a free pass on.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. How many Boeing employees are planning on voting for McCain? Does it matter that he received a pile of money from Airbus, lobbied for Airbus to get the tanker deal, and defended the deal when they got it?

#439847 - 06/19/08 12:27 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA

wink

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#439851 - 06/19/08 01:27 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: Dan S.]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
McCain...Mister "Fighting corporate interests, lobbyist dollars, and pork spending."

Ha!

#439852 - 06/19/08 01:32 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Originally Posted By: blue water pro
The law on gov projects is that the lowest bid wins.

While price is a big part of the selection process it is not the only criteria. They can also look at past performance and what they propose. Sometimes the lowest bidder doesn't offer the best value. Sometimes the low bidder doesn't win and the company with the superior technical product or service will win. Often the unsuccessful bidder will protest.

In the tanker deal the Air Force wanted Boeing to change their proposal to a smaller tanker with more range. What hurt them was the scandal with Col. Druyun. I think this reflected badly on Boeing and the Air Force wanted to save face by looking at the Airbus group after being embarassed. Then they changed the specification to a larger tanker. So Boeing was proposing what the Air Force told them they wanted.

Tanker

#439853 - 06/19/08 01:32 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: Irie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Todd, they are all dirty. It happens once they get elected. Doesn't matter which party.

Good luck Boeing!

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#439858 - 06/19/08 02:03 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

I am not an expert on the Federal Acquisition Regulations but I've been involved on the government end of the source selection process before. There are different types of contracts and the source selection process determines how they "weigh" different factors including price. Once the high bidder was selected and the low bidder protested and the government award was upheld. Past performance had something to do with it and also the technical proposal. Nobody went to jail. It's a little different if the bidder has no experience or is determined that they cannot do the job or have little understanding of what is required.

Anyway getting back to Boeing here is a more recent article that explains more.

Air Force Tanker Contract

#439861 - 06/19/08 02:11 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: Steelheadman]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

The way around the using American companies is to just hire a company like Northrup Gruman and say you're going to assemble it in the US like the parent company for Airbus. Foreign countries are not disqualified from the bidding process. If there were security concerns they could hire US workers.

Anyway I'm glad for Boeing.

#439893 - 06/19/08 11:31 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

McCain and Airbus:

http://www.campaignmoney.org/pressroom/2...ist-airbus-deal

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christy-hardin-smith/mccains-cronies-all-ab_b_94190.html

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/dem-bac...2008-06-09.html

http://www.capitaleye.org/news/2008/05/fifth-mccain-adviser-steps-dow.html

http://www.capitaleye.org/news/2008/03/mccain-staffers-lobbied-for-ai.html

http://www.realmccainblog.com/2008/03/appearance-of-impropriety-john-mccain.html

Whether anything illegal or not happened remains to be seen, but even if McCain's efforts on behalf of Airbus (from France...remember, the country all the RWWJ's were blasting for not believing Dubya's made up justifications for invading Iraq? I thought McCain was a firm supporter of the US and of "Freedom Fries"...maybe not?) were legal, shouldn't Washington State citizens take that into consideration when casting their votes?

The contract that McCain helped Airbus get with the Air Force means A LOT of money for our local economy, not to mention dozens of jobs at Boeing that will go away if Airbus gets the contract.

I can't see how any who works at Boeing, or for a Boeing contractor, could justify voting for McCain.

Fish on...

Todd

#439901 - 06/19/08 11:58 AM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

"WILKES-BARRE, Pa.--As Europe's Airbus and its American partner Northrop-Grumman launch a lobbying and public relations offensive this week in favor of the muti-billion-dollar deal they secured to replace a fleet of U.S. Air Force tankers, count Barack Obama a skeptic.

"I would think that we would want to prioritize US companies that are employing U.S. workers," Obama responded when asked about the deal at a town meeting in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., this afternoon.

"I don’t mind the Pentagon procuring from other countries. But when we you’ve got such an enormous contract for such a vital piece of our U.S. military arsenal, it strikes me that we should have identified a US company that could do it," he continued."

Seems pretty clear which company Obama would rather see get the contract.

I really want to hear from those here who were bashing the French, but now defend McCain being bankrolled by a French company, and lobbying on their behalf to send what may end up being a contract worth over $100Billion to France, rather than sending it right here in our neck of the woods.

Freedom Fries, anyone?

Fish on...

Todd

#439902 - 06/19/08 12:04 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Quote:
I can't see how any who works at Boeing, or for a Boeing contractor, could justify voting for McCain.

Well, considering my hubby works for Northrup Grumman, as do thousands of other PNW defense contractors.... It won't be hard to vote for McCain.

As if Obama would be good for Boeing or any other defense contractor? Not bloody likely.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with voting with your pocketbbook, and if you derive your income from Northrop, then it would make sense.

It's the tens of thousands of Boeing employees, especially the machinists who stood to lose their jobs, that I'd like to hear from...especially the ones who were all hot at France when they told Bush to take his bogus war and shove it...where do they stand on this?

It's quite a dilemma...your war-mongering McBush clone taking money from the French to send $100 Billion of taxpayer dollars to Airbus, rather than to your local economy through Boeing.

Come on, Boeing guys...I know you're here...let's hear how you are feeling.

Fish on...

Todd

#439912 - 06/19/08 01:00 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: Dan S.]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: Dan S.

wink

DanS-

Is it coincidence that you posted that photo and your current tag line is from "Shot Down In Flames"? rofl

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#439922 - 06/19/08 01:29 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Mike,

Simply a coincidence. wink

A customer of mine who works at Boeing sent it to me, and I figured it was fitting to put it in this thread.

I'm kind of lukewarm on both the candidates. Call me 'undecided', I guess.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#439930 - 06/19/08 01:54 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: ]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: AuntyM
First the "afoot" comment and then this. Somebody is acting like it 4:20 on a Friday no less.

Aunty!

I'm pleased to inform you that I pulled off the trifecta today - have you noticed the "Viva Jueves" thread yet? I'm waiting for one of your photo contributions! Somebody has got to post that fake Dave Vedder photo!

4:20 here - sadly, no, and not likely anytime soon. But I am going trout fishing at my favorite lake this weekend - I guess that explains it. Or maybe I'm just coming out of my "shell" rofl

Edited by Mikespike (06/19/08 01:54 PM)

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#439936 - 06/19/08 02:24 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: Todd]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
I said this before....all depends on which party you are for. The same people on here that complain about the no good haliburtin and that SOB cheney(I agree with that) getting no bid contracts now complain that Boeing did not get the contract after being under bid. Hypocr at its finest. I too hope Boeing get the contract, it helps my buisness but to complain about getting under bid by a better product one day and complain the next that they did not take bids to give it to thier cronies is trying to have the cake and eat too. But lastly, Go Boeing!

#439945 - 06/19/08 02:55 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: docspud]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I should have dumped that stock when the AF fired all its top guys. I wonder if that is going to be somehow linked to this deal?

#439946 - 06/19/08 02:56 PM Re: GAO recommends USAF re-open tanker bidding [Re: docspud]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

The bidding process should factor in what country our tax dollars are going to benefit and at what percentage.

"As if Obama would be good for Boeing or any other defense contractor? Not bloody likely."

If you truly voted your wallet and work for a defense contractor you'd vote for a war monger like AuntyM is going to do. All of that blood is good for business as long as it's not your own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |