LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#441739 - 07/02/08 12:23 AM How often do you change your downrigger cable?
SmellslikeTuna Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seabeck, WA
My downriggers are only a year old, purchased them brand new. When should I start thinking about changing the cable? How often do you change yours?

#441749 - 07/02/08 12:53 AM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: SmellslikeTuna]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Had one that I changed the cable on after 8 years. THe other has 5 year old cable. If it shows wear, or becomes too short, change it.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#441756 - 07/02/08 01:25 AM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: Dogfish]
Toy Boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Greenlake
I clip a few inches off the cable and redo the ends every year. Reduces the number of cannon balls that make it just above the surface and then take a plunge into Davey Jones`s locker.

Kinks in a cable are bad news. Instant snap ola.

#441840 - 07/02/08 01:28 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: SmellslikeTuna]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I changed my wire every few years before. Last year I went to the 250lb Power Pro and have yet to experience similar issues. The first 15-20ft would pop a strand and I'd just cut off that section; depending on how many lines from lost crab pots encountered. No such problem with the newer generation braid.

I've hauled up to four pots at a time towards shallow water. I couldn't crank them up with my manual 'riggers, just used the thrust of my kicker to drag 'em up towards the beach. If the bouys are not to compressed to read the contact information I'll attempt to contact the owners.

Anyway, no matter what type of cable used, just keep an eye out for frays. Cut off that section, once it starts to wear. zip

#441868 - 07/02/08 02:59 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: slabhunter]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
It also depends on what kind of wire is on your downrigger. If it's Scotty wire you should probably change it after ONE season because it is cheap CRAP! Rust, frays, kinks... you name it! I am speaking from experience.

The wire on my brand new 1106's crapped out after one year. I switched to Cannon wire and haven't had a single issue since. I had Cannon wire on my old Penn manuals that I had for 10 years too. I also know how to take care of downrigger cables.

I'm gonna switch to Spectra braid cables at some point. Anybody have an opinion on them?

#441869 - 07/02/08 03:02 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: 4Salt]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
They seem to be a bit thicker in diameter for similar strength, creating a bit more drag.... but otherwise they work well, don't sing, kink, or fray. they also keep you from sending any electrical charge down near your gear, good or bad.

#441876 - 07/02/08 03:35 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: LoweDown]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have the Scotty braid on one of mine. Other than discoloration and a bit more drag, it runs fine down to 150 feet. 2 years so far and no issues. Penn cable is also good.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#441895 - 07/02/08 04:51 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: Dogfish]
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place
I have two Scotty manuals.
I use Mason SS cable to replace the Scotty factory cable and and it works just fine.

Thanks for reminder~ I got a nice fray @ 60 ft on Port side rigger!
Thats the reason why i got skunked last Saturday! I swear.

Lofty

#441914 - 07/02/08 06:50 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: Lofty]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I change up when there becomes to many kinks to risk the obvious.Usually every 3-4 years.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#441919 - 07/02/08 06:58 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Whats a downrigger?

#441955 - 07/02/08 11:24 PM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I inspect mine and that tells me when to change it. I agree on the Scotty, it is crap. I have only lost one cannon ball, but unfortunately that was in a tournament, but fortuneately I carry spare wire and was able to get it going again, but I lost time to fish doing it.

#442020 - 07/03/08 11:36 AM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: Idaho Mike]
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
I have broken off quite a few downrigger balls over the last several years, mainly due to submerged commercial crab pots. I put new line on all of my 4 downriggers last year. All with Scotty cable. I put them on the boat the other day to test them and all have rusty wire now.

I was thinking back when I used to use Mason wire. I never had this problem. I wonder with the price of raw materials if all DR cables have dropped in quality? I have not run mason's in quite a few years. Maybe I should switch back or go to the dacron?
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#442021 - 07/03/08 11:40 AM Re: How often do you change your downrigger cable? [Re: Fishinnut]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Mason wire has worked well for me in the past. I keep a spare roll on the boat (because I have it) in a zip lock bag with some dessicant packs.

I put the Scotty braid on one downrigger a couple of years ago and am finding that i like it a lot. I'll be switching the second downrigger to the braid this year.

As mentioned above, it is a little larger diameter than 150# cable, but is so much easier to work with.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |