LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#445393 - 07/25/08 06:38 AM Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport?
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
I am headed to Westport for 2.5 days and will have some free time between charter fishing trips. I was wondering if it is worth it to bring some crab and or jetty fishing gear. I have heard that there are dungeness and bottomfish available to the shorebound angler there. Just looking to hear some of your experiences with crabbing or fishing from the jetty. Thanks in advance, T B J

Edited by TBJ (07/25/08 06:50 AM)

#445405 - 07/25/08 09:59 AM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: TBJ]
JimB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis
In years past I've caught lots of both...crabbing from the boat docks and I preferred the fishing the finger jetties towards the very far end of the Marina by the tower.

JimB

#445408 - 07/25/08 10:02 AM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: JimB]
Haliman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa., Kitsap
I had my boat at the westport marina a couple weeks ago, we got more crab in the marina than we did on the outside on the south side of of the south jetty.

Good luck

That keep us from learning what we should know.

#445412 - 07/25/08 10:47 AM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: Haliman]
DiverX Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton
Crab gear is a good idea. I've caught a few keepers there during clamming runs. I have also heard about decent fishing from the jetties, but I haven't had any luck personally. Probably haven't put enough hours into it.

Post a report. I'm thinking about going out there in a couple weeks.

#445416 - 07/25/08 11:24 AM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: DiverX]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Crab rings are great from the end of the docs by the charter boats, especially if you have any young kids with you. We would pull the crab rings and there would be 40 or 50 crab in each ring, running around on the dock, kids screamin, the whole nine yards.

If you need any life jackets for the kids, you'll be driving by my house, or within a mile of it today or tomorrow, and you can borrow the boy's jackets as long as you bring them back. (IM me if you'll need them)

Try a herring/anchovie under a slip float to keep from hanging up. You might be able to get some of the extras left over from your charter trip.

Have a great time!

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#445418 - 07/25/08 11:41 AM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: Dogfish]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
Thanks Andy, It will be just big ol' me so no need for the life jackets. I thought it might be fun to try to get a few crab for dinner while I am out there. I could not get out with Rhett as he is bottom fishing both days. The put me on the Fury both days. Is that bad? I figure as long as they take me to where fish are and keep me in fresh bait it does'nt really matter who's boat I go on. I have been mooching since I was a kid so I am pretty self sufficient. Thanks again everyone.-T B J

Edited by TBJ (07/25/08 05:52 PM)

#445422 - 07/25/08 12:45 PM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: TBJ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Fury is good. Just say no to the Silver Duchess.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#445458 - 07/25/08 03:45 PM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: Dogfish]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
JUST SAY NO TO THE SILVER DUCHESS=+1.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#445504 - 07/25/08 11:37 PM Re: Fishing or Crabbing from the Jetty at Westport? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
TBJ,

I haven't done it for years, but at one time there were a lot of small immature Black Rockfish around the finger jetties and at the entrance to the boat harbor.

It was a great amount of fun with an ultra light rod , four pound test and crappie jigs.

Usually the evening is the best time to fish right up to and after dark.

Did you catch Rhett on Hawg Quest last Wednesday?

I was sitting on Duck Lake at Ocean shores in my toon along with Mr. Vedder when my cell rang. I didn't look see who it was calling since Dave and I were checking in on our cells, and I answered Hello Mr. Fish Catcher, thinking it was Dave.

It turned out it was Rhett calling me to say he was going to be on Hawg Quest on a bottom fishing trip. There is an upcoming segment on Chinook fishing with Rhett.

I haven't fished with him yet, but interviewed him and some other skippers for a shallow water rockfish article that ran in Western Outdoors last May.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |