Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#448344 - 08/15/08 01:39 AM Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption
socket985 Offline
Eyed Egg

Hi,

My Dog ate a Dungenous crab that was fully cooked, He ate half of it shell and all
Do I have reason to be concerned?
He's a 5 yr old black Lab no symptoms yet . It's only been a few hours.

Thanks
Mark

#448347 - 08/15/08 02:07 AM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: socket985]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Dungey no match for Lab. Twice my labs have eaten every last bone from an 8 piece bag of fried chicken and never flinched. Other breeds or a rotten or raw crab I may worry but a full growen lab with a cooked crab I would just keep an eye on for the next few days.
Not saying I know. Just what I would do.

Let us know how it goes

God I love Labs...Art

#448364 - 08/15/08 10:02 AM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Achewter]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Watching it poop out the shell might be worth calling the neighbors.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#448365 - 08/15/08 10:50 AM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Dogfish]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
With a lab you should be getting use to it getting in trouble by now. My oldest lab which as a puupy cost me only a couple hundred bucks but now I call her my $5,000 dog. Over the last 14 years that is what I figure we spend on various vet bills

My younger yellow lab got into the bucket that had the shells from 10 cracked crabs a week ago. It had eaten maybe a third of the shells(all its stomach could hold?). It had a number of bouts of vomiting over the next day or so before it managed to rid itself of the shell pieces. Other than being off its food for a couple days (I did cut back on the size of its rations as if it ate the normal amount it would upchuck it all back up) and some moping around it was non the worst for wear. After 36 hours or so it was back to its normal lovable/goofy self.

I would just keep an eye it and I would watch its stool and any vomit to make sure that there isn't any blood (I was worried about pieces of shells causing an injury).

BTW - I doubt that my lab learned its lesson regarding the crab shells - I have to be just more careful.

Tight lines
Curt

#448371 - 08/15/08 12:17 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Smalma]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
A friend's lab was sniffing a crab and the crab clamped on to his his nose. The dog headed up the beach on a dead run, howling all the way. The crab finally let go, dropped to the ground and assumed his combat stance with his claws at present arms ready for another go round. The dog started circling the crab and the crab kept turning. Finally the lab started circling fast enough to get ahead of the crab and grabbed the crab by the back of it's shell and preceeded to rip it apart and eat almost the whole thing.
We were heading up the beach to grab the lab but by the time we got up there the dog was just grinning with a look of satisfaction with crab bits all over his head. His nose was bleeding a bit but he wasn't in as bad a shape as the crab.
He never messed with a crab again.

#448377 - 08/15/08 01:32 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Chuck E]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
Aren't labs a kick in azz? They always do these stupid things and when you get a hold of them, they do that goffy little submission crawl thing, looking at you like one your kids. A kid that really knows how to work you. You fathers know what I mean.

I have to agree with everyone here. You should keep an eye on him. The first twenty four is the most imporant. Just make sure he isn't bleeding. Labs can eat anything (besides salmon). They are like dump trucks.

Edited by Pugnacious (08/15/08 01:34 PM)

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#448382 - 08/15/08 01:51 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Pugnacious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Pugnacious
Aren't labs a kick in azz? They always do these stupid things and when you get a hold of them, they do that goffy little submission crawl thing, looking at you like one your kids. A kid that really knows how to work you. You fathers know what I mean.

I have to agree with everyone here. You should keep an eye on him. The first twenty four is the most imporant. Just make sure he isn't bleeding. Labs can eat anything (besides salmon). They are like dump trucks.

That's a fact... My new lab is the best at it......

Keith

#448384 - 08/15/08 01:54 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: stlhdr1]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My sister had to pull out a plastic shopping bag from her lab's azz after the dog ate some Hostess ding dongs, wrapper, cardboard, and the bag they were in.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#448385 - 08/15/08 02:13 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Dogfish]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Had to assist with the passing of a pair of my son's underwear a couple of months ago - golden retriever. Swallowed a cut plug on a 4/0 5/0 hookup. Cut the line and never had a problem. Eats leather gloves like potato chips. Chews barnacles off the rocks. Not sure when he got hit on the head hard, but it must have happened at some point.

#448387 - 08/15/08 02:24 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: milt roe]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
I am always finding the exact same stuff in my dogs fecal matter. He seems to have an affinity for the crotch of womens panties also...

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#448396 - 08/15/08 02:53 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Pugnacious]
HookedUp Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Low Road
2 seconds after i snapped this photo my brother in law unwillingly donated a portion of this fillet to Murph. I saw it coming...

#448420 - 08/15/08 05:59 PM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: HookedUp]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Labs are a kick. I'd forgotten about an incident with a lab pup back in about 1968 but the stories reminded me. I was at aguy's house and he held a big chunk of hashish down for his lab pup to sniff and it went the same way as your bro-in-laws salmon. One gulp and the pup was damn goofy for about 4 hours and then slept for about 12 hours straight.
Nobody wanted to poke his poo to see if there were any chunks left.

#448467 - 08/16/08 12:36 AM Re: Dogs and Dungenous Crab consumption [Re: Chuck E]
socket985 Offline
Eyed Egg

Hi,

Here's my Lab update, He's fine dumb dog took a crab out of my 50 quart cooler covered in Ice, I ran upstairs to get the bowl out of the kitchen came back down loaded up my crab and ones missing, no dog in sight. I call and call (we have a half acre back yard) and he comes limping in knowing he's in trouble.
I've never given him table scraps or any human food. I think I found his new fav food.

Thanks for the info, I was a bit worried.

Thanks

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |