Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#449517 - 08/24/08 07:39 PM Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon
meat pie Offline
Parr

Loc: The River
We'll aware its against the law, but what are the ramifications?

Loss of license or game?

Fine?

I'm a sportsman and in no circumstance concidered using a fire arm on an animal during archery season. As the saying goes "don't bring a knife to a gun fight." With all the illegal activities that happens on DNR roads with no cell service and minimal law enforcement, a bow and arrow in my opinion isn't protection!!! I'm sure there are thousands of stories to be shared. I would just like to know what will happen if a gamy finds a concealed weapon.

#449570 - 08/25/08 12:27 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: meat pie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
In your truck is fine. In the field is not. You are hunting when you leave your truck.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#449595 - 08/25/08 11:16 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: Dogfish]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Kind of wondering the same thing myself - especially with the comeback of the wolves. Would make me a little nervous field dressing an elk at dusk.

#449714 - 08/26/08 09:35 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: OceanSun]
simon Offline
Smolt

Loc: washington whatcom county
if you are bear or cougar hunting you may carry a wepon with you as long as a deer or elk hunt is not happening or you dont havre your deer or elk tag on your person. other wise you are risking a ticket but if it is conceled no one should know you have one anyhow good luck hunting

#449730 - 08/26/08 12:20 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: simon]
deerslayer
Unregistered

ive talked to local gamewarden about this last season and he told me. he personaly woldnt ticket someone for it. its not worth the paper work to give someone a ticket for wanting to protect themselves.

imo 90% of any archery hunters wouldnt shoot an animal with thier sidearm. almost 100% of the time that animal would be well within archery range in the first place. unless that person happened to have a 454, 460, 500 or something huge like that lol.

#449762 - 08/26/08 03:34 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: meat pie]
elk Offline
Parr

Loc: SW WA
Keep it concealed and don't talk about it. A Gamey could ask if you have a concealed pistol license & you'd have to show it to him as the RCW requires that. The RCW does not require you to show an officer your firearm.

Chpt. 9.41 RCW

#449781 - 08/26/08 05:30 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: elk]
deerslayer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: elk
Keep it concealed and don't talk about it. A Gamey could ask if you have a concealed pistol license & you'd have to show it to him as the RCW requires that. The RCW does not require you to show an officer your firearm.

Chpt. 9.41 RCW

they would never even ask unless you give them a reason to think you are packing. basicly it comes down to dont ask dont tell.

#450280 - 08/29/08 11:54 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: ]
TheHunt Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup, WA
In Idaho I was asked by the Customs agent if I would open my pac so that he could look in it. We were hunting right on the boarder so I do understand why.

#450617 - 08/31/08 01:00 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: TheHunt]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
It is also legal to carry while archery hunting in Idaho unlike Washington.
You wont find too many Archers that will do the unthinkable (shooting an animal with a gun) in Archery season. That is why most of us hunt archery. The added challenge.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#450622 - 08/31/08 01:40 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: Pugnacious]
meat pie Offline
Parr

I understand if its concealed no one needs to know, i'm still curious on what the fine is, or action that is taken by law enforcement while hunting elk and deer.

I actually have one other question and would be curious to see if anyone knows this answer. Once a animal has been shot and a blood trail or blood is found are you allowed to use a blood tracking hound the following day, if you are not carrying a bow or rifle to retreive your game? Just a question..

#450669 - 08/31/08 03:07 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: meat pie]
deerslayer
Unregistered

thats a good question. i would think not cause you are still hunting/retrieving your game.

#450749 - 08/31/08 10:56 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: ]
meat pie Offline
Parr

It was just a thought I had foraging in the woods yesterday. I have a coonhound that I'm picking up at the airport tuesday. If trained properly very few things will escape the nose

#450769 - 09/01/08 03:53 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: meat pie]
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Originally Posted By: meat pie
Once a animal has been shot and a blood trail or blood is found are you allowed to use a blood tracking hound the following day, if you are not carrying a bow or rifle to retreive your game? Just a question..

In an ideal world, the warden would recognize your commitment to finding wounded animals.

#450788 - 09/01/08 02:55 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: cupo]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
Is hound hunting even legal in this state anymore? I thought that it was banned a few years ago. I hunt in Idaho after my run in with a cougar a couple of years ago. Would have been nice to have a gun then. But, best I can figure, if the kitty wanted to have me for breakfast it would not have growled at me and let me know it was there.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#450847 - 09/01/08 08:17 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: meat pie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

No hounds. Bow is legal as you are still pursuing your target animal. Gun is not.

#451063 - 09/02/08 09:53 PM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: Dogfish]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Serious dude.. anything else you want to know about ?? hunting from a helicopter perhaps, or maybe using hand grenades or rocket launchers ??? Just to let you know the answers are no and no.

How bout read your regs and then just do what they say ???

#451379 - 09/04/08 12:45 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
meat pie Offline
Parr

Hey B-run For the record I have never packed a pistol when archery hunting nor used a hound to retrieve game. I also browsed through the hunting regs again and found a couple paragraphs regarding using hounds for hunting which mentioned they are allowed april thru July. I don't know what for but it does mention it somewhere. Also, these where just questions and I do follow the regs. On the other hand I do hunt public land alone during hunting season but do pack during the off season, scouting, foraging, ect.. Where I hunt unfortuantly there is a ton a crime that happens in the woods. The crimes can vary from chop shops, mobile meth labs to people dumping there washers and dryers. It sounds pretty pythetic but once you put yourself more than a 1/2 mile from the woods your in prestine wilderness. I've only addressed the 2 legged animals that are pretty unpredictable now on to the 4 legged critters. packing out game alopne in the dark and smelling like a cow in heat and 40+ pounds of meat on your pack isn't the smartest thing to do but........When hunting alone even if you stick an animal at 4pm I still wait 1 1/2 hrs before retrieving and sometimes more. It doesn't allow you much time to skin, debone and pack an animal out before dusk. I can pretty much state your reply already which is don't hunt or bring a friend so i'll answer it. I archery hunt because I love it and I don't care what the risks are. If I bring a friend he'll tell his friends and I'll loose my spot that I've spent all year scouting. Basically what it comes down to is a person has the right to protect himself whether if its a cat jumping on your back or some dude with a pistol. Bow & arrow isn't going to do squat and I'd like to hear you debate that. B-Run I'd like to carry a side arm with me while archery hunting but I don't for some reason I've lost that right! back to my original question what happens if you get caught concealing a weapon while archery hunting? the regs don't mention that.

#451388 - 09/04/08 01:00 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: meat pie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Be prepared to lose your weapons, bow & firearm, maybe the truck you drove into the area, and a few hundred bucks.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Make your choice.

#451427 - 09/04/08 09:48 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: Dogfish]
simon Offline
Smolt

Loc: washington whatcom county
Hounds are leagal to hunt coon in the state of wa. There is also a damage hunt for cougur on the east side that is in 5 countys as a pilot program to bring back hound hunting for cougur state wide has been running for 4 or 5 years or so

#451445 - 09/04/08 11:20 AM Re: Archery hunting with Concealed Weapon [Re: simon]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hounds are not legal for tracking wounded game animals, which is what he was asking. You are correct on the other issues, Simon. I love watching dogs work. Fawking Seattlites took that away.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1317 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |