Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#449739 - 08/26/08 02:00 PM Ritzville Elk Hunting
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

Where do they get this garbage??

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/harvest/2007/db/elk_region2_modern.php

16 Elk taken out of the Ritzville unit.

1 elk taken out of Beezley? You know that picture of the huge bull elk swimmin in the lake? That picture was taken in the POTHOLES!

Maybe I've been on the wet side too long. About 5 years ago I saw a turkey cross hwy 17 at Rocky Ford. That was definately something new.

Edited by GreenRiver (08/26/08 02:00 PM)

Most people suck at internet........

#449744 - 08/26/08 02:13 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: GreenRiver]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Looks like those region 2 guys suck at hunting. Pretty low success rate.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#449746 - 08/26/08 02:23 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: Dogfish]
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

They're bogus numbers. Some people are playing with the wdfw when submitting where they hunted. There is no elk in the wheat fields of Ritzville.

#449835 - 08/27/08 12:10 AM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: GreenRiver]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well weirder things have happened....

Earlier this year WDFW captured a MOOSE in ROYAL CITY.. If a moose can be in royal city than i can see a elk in ritzville!!

#449849 - 08/27/08 02:29 AM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: bigman]
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I've seen them in the Pomeroy area wheat fields (running across wheat stubble, actually), and have heard credible reports about them around Colfax. There are some there, and obviously once you find them they wouldn't be tought to shoot.

#449876 - 08/27/08 12:21 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: salty]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
We hunt phesants outside of Endicott and see elk there most years. There aint a tree for miles in that area.

#449885 - 08/27/08 12:51 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

Endicott, Pomeroy and Colfax? That's amaizing and almost unbelievable, but I'll take your word it. How the heck did THREE (I googled it) moose get to Royal City. WTF is next? Mule Deer in Forks?

Elk were once a great plains animal, but have been pushed into mountains in order to survive. I guess you can take elk out of the great plains, but you can't take the great plains out of the elk.

#449931 - 08/27/08 05:46 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: GreenRiver]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

I went to college in Pullman. I saw elk in dusty and around the wheatfields of pullman. There are elk in all directions from pullman in the wheatfields. They move around a lot, except for one place that I know of, and would be very difficult to hunt. I can certainly belive there are elk where reported. There are elk in pomeroy, endicott, dusty, pullman, between pullman and spokan, handford, etc. Why not in those other non-forested areas.

#450232 - 08/29/08 12:55 AM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: wsu]
Hairy Ape Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester, Washington
There are lots of elk just south of Cheney in and around the Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge. I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be some in the Ritzville unit as well. Elk do not need trees to survive. I've seen elk on the south side of the Snake River, basically just across from Pullman. Also saw a moose in the same general area, nothing but wheat fields for miles around.

#450498 - 08/30/08 08:12 AM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: Hairy Ape]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
I have seen elk all around pullman. I have also seen several moose in the middle of wheat fields near Pullman.

#450902 - 09/02/08 02:35 AM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: huntncoug]
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
Originally Posted By: huntncoug
I have seen elk all around pullman. I have also seen several moose in the middle of wheat fields near Pullman.

I think you're drunk bro.

#450929 - 09/02/08 11:51 AM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: Iron Head]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

He may have been drunk, but there are in fact elk and moose all around pullman. Not a lot of either, but they are there.

#452232 - 09/08/08 11:31 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: wsu]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

My girlfriend almost hit a moose with her truck in the dark just outside pullman by the airport.

#452233 - 09/08/08 11:34 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: huntncoug]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

The area between Moscow and the Canadian border is all prime moose habitat. Pullman is only 7 miles from Moscow, if you think about it, it is not that suprising that a moose would wonder 7 miles.

#452287 - 09/09/08 06:58 AM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: GreenRiver]
sfstilly Offline
Fry

Greenriver
The Elk taken in Ritzville unit come out of the TurnBull refuge. Been there -done it.

#453283 - 09/14/08 07:53 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: huntncoug]
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
Last fall I had a conversation with a wheat farmer in the south end of the Cheney unit and he told me that he had elk on some of his holdings, but I believe it was in one of thegame units South of the Cheney Unit.

My cousin also had a Moose running arround his neighborhood in Airway Hieghts last summer and again this summer,

#454510 - 09/19/08 10:19 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: ACT]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Yeah....the beauty of Eastern Wa! We have lots of stuff in lots of places, and not as many people!! It's amazing how many farm kids kill elk every year, and the only tree around is in their farm yard. I've jumped both elk and moose around the potholes. I like it when people think "there's no way that could happen"............makes for better fishing and hunting.

#454621 - 09/20/08 08:49 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: snit]
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
Snit

Speaking of the Potholes, Bud Hampton over in Othello old place was south of Othello in the Potholes. He owned most of them before the National Fish & Wildlife took them over as the Potholes National Reserve, but he retained the grazing rights to the Potholes and he ran a couple of thousand head of cattle out there. On one occasion a bunch of the cattle got out and was grazing where the Refuge eople didn't want them so Bud's son Lyle, his hired hand and the hands kid along with my boss and myself went in on horseback and ran the cattle back throught the fence where they had broke out. While we where in there we jumped a couple of nice bucks.

Another time I was driving for Sun Ag out at Royal City and had taken a load of fetilizer up to the Mattawa Bench and was returning back to Pasco to get another load to take up to Royal City by way of the Hanford Barracade just as I was coming up on the dump turn off coming into Richland at sun up I almost wrecked the Semi I ws driving as three of the prettiest Muley bucks ran across the road in front of me going back onto the Hanford Reservation. All three bucks where of Pope & Young Class.

#454626 - 09/20/08 09:39 PM Re: Ritzville Elk Hunting [Re: ACT]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
ACT---- I know that for the truth 'cause I've seen some big Bucks there.

Earlier this year there was a Moose in E. Wenatchee......oh and there were no wolves in WA prior to this year according to WDFW...<wink>

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 632 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |