Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#460658 - 10/17/08 03:30 PM Timber Hunt
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
Ok, I have been scoping out this nice timber patch in an area that I have been on a couple hunting/scouting missions.

I typically am your basic clearcut, reprod, power line type hunter for Blacktail.

I want to expand my horizons and hunt timber more than I have.

My question to the experts is under what conditions is best for hunting timber. I have heard that you want it to be nasty and storming. Is this true?

I mean if the deer aren't out in the clearcuts, odds are they're in the timber right?

Thanks

#460664 - 10/17/08 03:53 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Castingpearls]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Castingpearls
I have heard that you want it to be nasty and storming. Is this true?

I mean if the deer aren't out in the clearcuts, odds are they're in the timber right?

Thanks

The reason you want it to be nasty and stormy is because when its like that it causes alot of noises in the woods (trees falling, branches braking, and so on) so the deer will move to the clear cuts to get away from the noise and believe they will be safer. Which is one of the reasons why last weekends opener sucked for most people, sunny and no wind=no deer in the clear cuts.

#460667 - 10/17/08 03:59 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: bigman]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
We usually hunt timber mid-day. Cuts in the morning and evenings.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#460724 - 10/17/08 07:51 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Dogfish]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Bigman and Dogfish hit the nail on the head.....

Typically blacktail will bed down during mid day and hang in the thickest stuff you can find.... If you're making a ton of noise walking through it, that's where they're likely at. I can't tell you how many will just get up and let you walk by just out of eyesight...

Extremely smart animals... That's why the rut is so nice to hunt. Where the does are the bucks will be...

#460851 - 10/18/08 04:15 AM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Castingpearls]
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
I hunt a lot of timber. IMHO, the best weather for it is just enough rain to cover your sound. Wind and the noise it causes in the woods can get them stirring around but I've been in the timber when trees are falling and it ain't cool.
Obviously, in dry conditions it's harder to be quiet. In frozen conditions it can be impossible. When it's dry or frozen, I just take my steps when the wind gusts. Or just stop all together and let them be the ones to give themselves away with noise.
If you can find unpressured deer during the rut, it's not a huge deal if you make a little sound. The bucks will come to see who is on their turf.

Originally Posted By: Castingpearls

I'm afraid they're in the reprod a lot of times. Ya know that nasty stuff you don't want to go in? The stuff where the trees are 8 feet tall and 8 feet apart? With devil's club and blackberries between them? That's the stuff.

#460873 - 10/18/08 12:15 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: cupo]
cast this Offline
Parr

Loc: grays harbor, wa.

If the weather's like it's been recently (mild), and they aren't rutting yet, they are going to feed by night, bed down in the cooler timber on warm days, in the reprod sometimes. I like to glass a patch of reprod , look into the little open patches-you can sometimes pick up the flick of a tail or an ear. Midday hunting requires patience.
No timber hunting for this guy when the wind is really blowing! They might never find you...

#460892 - 10/18/08 01:39 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: cast this]
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa
The other thing to remember is that... when the deer leave the clearings and head to the trees (older growth - not reprod)... my advice is that you want to enter the trees away from clear cut and then walk toward the clearcut... understanding that the deer/bucks will bed down within the first 10-15 yards of the old growth and be looking towards the clearcut for danger... if you find oldgrowth with ferns and folage that is less than 2 feet high you should be in the money... and yes... a slight drizzle (rain falling from the trees) and slight breeze is a help... and then go slow... staying back in the trees and walking a parallel path to the edge of the clearcut... watching ahead of where you will walk...

Once when my buddy had spotted a 2x3 buck at the edge of a clearcut... I worked my way back into the trees to maybe pick him off when my buddy made an approach from the clearcut... well I got into the trees (with ferns and food) and made it about 20 yards, keeping the location of the buck in the clearcut in sight... well all of a sudden I am busted buy a massive 4x4 (thick mass beams) laying in his bed and actually rubbing his antlers on the small sapling right next to his bed... well he jumped up before I could nock my arrow and he bolts up hill and in runs the buck from the clearcut and joins the bigger buck... and then they both stop and look back at me from about 100 yards away.... SO keep your eyes open and scanning near and far...

Edited by wabowhunter (10/18/08 01:44 PM)

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#461041 - 10/19/08 11:46 AM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: wabowhunter]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually found some nice elk trails through the patch I was hunting and made it possible to walk through quietly as long as I went real slow.

Do deer spotted but lots of tracks so I will keep at it.

#461585 - 10/21/08 01:12 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Castingpearls]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Well, it wasn't in the Timber but I thought I would post up my deer here instead of making a new post. Shot at 1st light in a walk-in area behind a locked gate (gotta love locked gates). I took a sniff at the weather Monday morning and couldn't resist a quick little hunt in an area not far from my home. My plan was to walk through this one unit for 1/2 hour and then head to work a little late. Well, this guy was the reason that I had to change that plan and take a "personal day". I have shot a couple 3 points that were not as big in body size or antler size.

Now I can go back to chasing chrome.....

#461625 - 10/21/08 02:40 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Castingpearls]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Nice one! That is a really good looking 2 point. Solid blacktail for sure.

I looked at the "Who's Online" yesterday and saw that you weren't on there and knew that the weather was the reason. Looks like it might have been the only stormer in the whole rifle season.

#461631 - 10/21/08 03:00 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Rocket Red]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Yup, had to pay hookie to get this guy. When I saw the tall curl I thought it would've been a 3 pt or more but hey.... I'll proudly take it.

He was alone and not swollen. I have heard of a few bucks that were in rut but this guy wasn't.

Edited by Castingpearls (10/21/08 06:15 PM)

#461710 - 10/21/08 07:45 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Rocket Red]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
did you save the cape? I hope you did. I know a guy who will do a nice horn mnt. for a trade for the cape. Shoot me a pm and I'll get you his #. that is a nice looking BT.

my wife shot one just a little smaller and I had it mounted for her for a B-day present.

Kris

#461729 - 10/21/08 08:36 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: dcrzfitter]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Actually, I did cape it out. I was having thoughts of doing a head mount but have decided to wait for "Big Walley" so I will be doing a horn mount.

My dad does a good job on the horns. He works in the woods and has been collecting maple and cedar burls (sp) for about 30 years. A nice set of horns mounted up on a nice piece of bird's eye maple is really cool.

I think he is low on leather though so if you or anyone else has some hide that is dried and tanned, I would happily trade my cape for it or something.

#462107 - 10/22/08 10:59 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: Castingpearls]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Congrats! thumbs

Beats the hell out of working, and the meat is 10 times better than you can buy with your wages.

Rusty Bell

#462174 - 10/23/08 10:14 AM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: sykofish]
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa
Great Job Man... that is a nice looking buck!!!

Congrats!

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#462324 - 10/23/08 06:26 PM Re: Timber Hunt [Re: wabowhunter]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Very nice!

Keith thumbs

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |