Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#461194 - 10/20/08 01:39 AM Odessa Pheasant
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I just got back from a weekend trip to Odessa. We had a great time and i figured i would throw up a few pictures to share.

The quail numbers were excellent and so were the pheasant numbers but unfortunately the rooster to hen count was way down from normal. Out of twenty plus birds only three were roosters. Saturday I got ten quail and a rooster with fourteen shells which has to be a personal record and this morning I managed somehow to miss one of the sweetest flushes ever- right in front of me. This rooster, practically in slow motion, got up out of a creekbed maybe fifteen feet below me and made this slow swinging arch ninety degrees to my left. Right at the flush I stopped and waited for him to get further out so not to make a pillow case out of him and watched as he sailed away unscathed after two misplaced shots. Unbelievable. I should have lowered my gun mount and swung back through him in hindsight b; I know the first shot was behind him eventhough I had a sustained lead that looked perfect. I expected him to crumble like a house of cards and when he didn't I then overcompensated and lead him too much. Classic blunder.

I will also introduce my Springer, Lola who had an excellent trip as well. She managed to hook the top of her head on a barbwire fence, puncture a pad on more of the same and presumably took a stick to her right eye. She is fine but definitely worn out completely. Tonight she is a little stiff and deserves some TLC after miles and miles of busting cover, flushing a copule hundred birds and bringing fourteen to hand.

Pictures to follow

Attachments
1.jpg

Description: Our hosts house to looking to the east- private land as far as you can see- it isall ours for next two days!

2.jpg

Description: Same with a view to the west

3.jpg

Description: Lola and I are ready to hit it!

4.jpg

Description: My buddy Chris is pretending to cry because he is stuck on the worng side of a creek. he lived...

5.jpg

Description: Good job Lola!

Edited by JTD (10/20/08 03:13 AM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#461201 - 10/20/08 03:20 AM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: JTD]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

A few more...

Attachments
7.jpg

Description: One for Chris...

#10.jpg

Description: And finally, two days later a tired dog.

In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#461206 - 10/20/08 09:24 AM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: JTD]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Nice report. I like the Odessa area. Since it was also deer season and you were packing a shotgun i assume you saw some of those big azz mulies.

#461215 - 10/20/08 10:52 AM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: seastrike]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
nice report and good lookin pup!
did you see any huns as well?

Edited by D3Smartie (10/20/08 10:52 AM)

#461221 - 10/20/08 11:33 AM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: D3Smartie]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

We saw dozens of mulies but not a single one with horns. Not even a spike in the bunch...

#461254 - 10/20/08 02:19 PM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: JTD]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Tired dogs are a sign of a good hunt. Nice job on the shooting.

j7 2012

#461400 - 10/20/08 09:15 PM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: j 7]
castnblast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kingston
Sweet hunt. Good shooting on those quail...they're quick lil devils!

Good to hear there are a few birds around. I didn't see many uplanders when I was waterfowling last weekend.

#461447 - 10/20/08 11:21 PM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: castnblast]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

How was the waterfowling?

#461474 - 10/21/08 12:00 AM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: JTD]
fish monger Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I'm heading over to Pullman for our annual pheasant trip this weekend and was concerned that numbers would be down this year. Good to hear you saw lots of birds. Hopefully there's plenty in the SE as well.

#461520 - 10/21/08 03:56 AM Re: Odessa Pheasant [Re: fish monger]
castnblast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kingston
JTD,

Did well chasing ducks opening weekend, all jumpshooting tho. I posted the results in the "just ducky " thread.

Might try to get back over this weekend or next to give it another try for waterfowl/upland.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |