THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#465490 - 11/05/08 12:47 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Sol]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thank you Tim, back at you.

When you take a fine animal with a traditional bow, you put yourself in a class far above the rest.

Takes one bad hombre to willingly get within range of old ephriam with a stick and string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMe1jsPMDA

Legendary bowhunter Chuck Adams took this monster on The Alaska Peninsula

Jack Brittingham took a new world record Brown Bear with a compound bow a few years ago.
It is of monsterous proportions.
The video is awesome.

Renowned bowhunter Archie Nesbitt took a ten footer on the Alaskan Peninsula with a bow and the video footage is incredible as well.

On my first grizzly hunt I saw the kind of destruction that a big grizz is capable of.
After swirling winds and crunchy snow ruined a stalk on a huge boar, we approached the den of the great bear.
There were trees as big around as my thigh that were snapped like twigs.
A young spruce was completley pushed out of the ground.
I left that site with a whole new respect for Ole Ephriam.
Those memories still send chills up my spine.

#465508 - 11/05/08 01:15 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Salmonella]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Damn, that Youtube footage got my heart beating like I was the one shooting.

What people don't realize is how horribly wrong a bowhunt like that can go wrong if it does. Even with an outfitter backing you up with a high-powered riffle, you are putting your life on the line at bow range.

#465556 - 11/05/08 03:29 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: seastrike]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
It's a frickin wooly mammoth!

#465569 - 11/05/08 04:05 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Sol]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Sol
Here's my biggest, shot with a recurve I made at 10 to 15 yards on the ground.

Is that the infamous "Al-Can Highway" bear?

#465580 - 11/05/08 04:39 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: The Moderator]
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: parker
Here's my biggest, shot with a recurve I made at 10 to 15 yards on the ground.

Is that the infamous "Al-Can Highway" bear?

Brings to mind two words; gut and tourists. my baaaaad.

Most people suck at internet........

#465584 - 11/05/08 04:55 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: The Moderator]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Lol...no. I hunted that bear in NE Washington over bait for two weeks back when it was legal to do so and couldn't kill it. He would not come in during daylight. I started taking the bait back out with me at night to force him in while I was on stand and he still wouldn't come in. He would simply circle my stand a couple hundred yards out and chase off smaller bears. I got down one night to pick up the bait and he came in woofing at me. the wind was in my face and I assume he thought I was a smaller bear the snuck in for "his" goodies. At 10 to 15 yards I came up over the baiting vee of deadfall at full draw and he whirled sideways as my arrow sailed though both lungs and clipped his Aorta off his heart. He died and I walked ove and petted him in less that a minute after letting go of the arrow. That was a headrush. It happened so fast after so much work it did not seem real.

#465585 - 11/05/08 04:56 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Wow, that's a toad of a bear!

I've never seen anything that big before in the woods. We had one that tipped the scales at 480 back in the hound hunting days, big old bore wouldn't tree so my buddy shot him bayed up on the ground as he was tearing the crap out of the dogs.... Kind of a horrifying sound going in on a bayed up bear!

Keith thumbs

#465672 - 11/06/08 01:08 AM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Sol]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
What people don't realize is how horribly wrong a bowhunt like that can go wrong if it does. Even with an outfitter backing you up with a high-powered riffle, you are putting your life on the line at bow range.

Even a rifle hunt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc&feature=related

#465730 - 11/06/08 11:12 AM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: LoweDown]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Even black bear sows with cubs are bad juju. We drove around a corner on a logging road up in BC this fall and there was a yearling blackie standing on the shoulder so we pulled over. When it bailed off the road we got out to maybe get a picture before it disapeared into the alders. I immediately saw momma and the second yearling at the bottom of the embankment and they scrambled about 10 up an aspen in the middle of a thicket of 6-foot alder to get a better look at us. The aspen was probably 25 yards from the truck, and when momma came back down in a hurry I got the hell back in the truck pronto. It would have been nothing for her to come out of that patch of alsders at us in a flash. They can do allot of damage to a person fast.

#466363 - 11/08/08 12:18 AM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Sol]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

[/quote]

Are you suggesting the hyde squared at 8 feet? 2'x4'?

The referenced measurement was 7 feet 2 inches in length from head to tail on the ground. I think it's fair to say the bear stood *over* 7 feet tall on it's hind legs. We're talking about a rare black bear of grizzly sized proportions. [/quote]

That is either DRIPPING with sarcasm, or...........................................

#466365 - 11/08/08 12:29 AM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Sol]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Lol...no. I hunted that bear in NE Washington over bait for two weeks back when it was legal to do so and couldn't kill it. He would not come in during daylight. I started taking the bait back out with me at night to force him in while I was on stand and he still wouldn't come in. He would simply circle my stand a couple hundred yards out and chase off smaller bears. I got down one night to pick up the bait and he came in woofing at me. the wind was in my face and I assume he thought I was a smaller bear the snuck in for "his" goodies. At 10 to 15 yards I came up over the baiting vee of deadfall at full draw and he whirled sideways as my arrow sailed though both lungs and clipped his Aorta off his heart. He died and I walked ove and petted him in less that a minute after letting go of the arrow. That was a headrush. It happened so fast after so much work it did not seem real.

Sweet !

#466478 - 11/08/08 03:17 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: LoweDown]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
Originally Posted By: LoweDown

Even a rifle hunt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc&feature=related
the comments on that site are proof that 13 year olds shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

#467282 - 11/12/08 02:21 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Chum Man]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
Thats a Bad Ass Bear!!!!

#469977 - 11/24/08 10:34 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Sol]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

Sal, I have killed a couple bears here in Kitsap that would come close to 8 ft standing, One measures 8'6" nose to tail, 514lb field dressed (skinned) hanging at farmer georges meat locker, The other was 8'2" nose to tail and weighed 486lb at the locker. 22 1/8, 21 15/16 Skull size. toads and that bear in the picture is a toad for sure. About 14 yrs ago Dave killed one I and 8 others helped drag out that was bigger then mine... It was about 4 miles from where the bear in the article was killed. Both mine mounted on modified Mt. Griz mounts....

#470451 - 11/27/08 12:39 AM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I wish The Sun would have reported thyat blackie's skull width.......I saw a pic yesterday out on the Queets with a purported 23" skull width applause

I know pic.'s are deceiving, but the head on this one was friggin huge in comparison to the one in our backyard eek2

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#470520 - 11/27/08 12:49 PM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: NOFISH]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: NOFISH
I saw a pic yesterday out on the Queets with a purported 23" skull width

Impossible.
You must mean overall score...Length plus Width.

World Record Black Bear Skull

SCORE: 23 10/16
HUNTER: Picked Up
OWNER: Cabela's, Inc.
DATE: 1975

KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Greatest length of skull without lower jaw: 14 12/16
Greatest width of skull: 8 14/16

#470611 - 11/28/08 01:20 AM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: Salmonella]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
23" maybe you saw a watermelonheaded bigfoot.......

Keith applause

#470623 - 11/28/08 11:41 AM Re: 8-Foot Black Bear killed in Kitsap County [Re: stlhdr1]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I did say "purported" in my report! I'm not experienced enough in bear morphology to know when to call BS......all I know for sure is the bear in the photo I was shown looked much larger than in the photo of the kitsap bear.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |