Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#477218 - 01/04/09 11:28 AM Golden vs Lab
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: sleeping in my duck blind
It is time to get a new pup I have always had labs all my life , now the Family wants a Golden but I am not sure how they are for hunting I have been spoiled with my labs all of them have been great so I am a little biased

#477220 - 01/04/09 12:09 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: sodfarmer]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
My limited experience says goldens have too much hair and not enough drive. I'll stick with labs. I almost got a German Wirehair this round but chickened out and got another yellow.
Good to see you are getting another dog. We'll get them on some ducks next season.

#477222 - 01/04/09 12:23 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: seastrike]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The Goldens I've seen, in addition to too much hair, are too wired, too nervous. Eventually, takes maybe 5-10 years, a lab grows up, stops being a puupy, and settles down.

I grew up with Brittanies in CA. Used them for everything; pheasants, quail, ducks, doves, even deer. Damn dog could do it all. The labs I have had added the "family" aspect. I think they'll die to protect their family and they are such great family dogs.

Only had Yellows and Chocolates. Odd as it sounds, there seems to be some differences between the colors. The yellows seem to be very people oriented; noice all the yellows as service dogs. The chocolates are 4-wheeled tanks; not a place they won't go, nothing too tough.

#477235 - 01/04/09 01:34 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Carcassman]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

I agree with you my yellow lab would wait for the bus every day and make sure Cole got off ok ! Cole and I went to see Marley and me yesterday that dog looked just like Cedar not a dry eye in the place

#477246 - 01/04/09 02:59 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: seastrike]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Originally Posted By: seastrike
My limited experience says goldens have too much hair and not enough drive. I'll stick with labs. I almost got a German Wirehair this round but chickened out and got another yellow.
Good to see you are getting another dog. We'll get them on some ducks next season.

+1....my pops had 2 Goldens during the mid 70's. During that time, the breed was being shown BIG TIME. Which led to alot of in-breeding and therefore schizo pups. But like all dogs, there's good ones and bad ones.

I'm close to getting another lab, and just deciding which color to get. I don't belive that there's a difference in colors of labs though. I've been around all phases, and my current bitch has thrown all colors in her (2) litters...dogs are like people - we are individuals albiet influenced by our upbringing and genetics.

#477489 - 01/05/09 11:48 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: snit]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Along with the dogs individual characteristics, you have to add in training and exercise. I heard all kinds of horror stories about having a pointer because they dont listen and they are hyper. I found out this is true, but most sources say to give them regular exercise and training (daily). I followed this advice and it works out great. Read up on the dog you want; there is plenty of info on the web. If you have the time and space for a golden, I would go for it. Labs seem to retain training and long term hunting behaviors set in faster than traditional upland dogs.

j7 2012

#477654 - 01/05/09 07:28 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: j 7]
rtturbo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I have had multiple goldens and it's very important where you get your pups from. How you train what you expect and how they are raised is very important. I always had pups out in the thick stuff from day one and never had a problem. They were always around guns and hunting, it's important to let them explore and search on their own.

I have seen people be to controling and baby their pups and never experience the hunting situation then all of a sudden two years pass by and you think your dogs going to hunt but yet you throw the dog out there and it doesn't do what you want. (SURPRISE) I have used goldens for migratory and upland. I usually bought a dog from someone else who hunted and would really stress let them explore..

Unfortunately I dont migratory hunt anymore and spent a lot of time on the eastside so I do own a GSP.

I heard this quote once and it stuck

train your dog a few minutes a day and get the dog you deserve and if you dont train your dog a few minutes a day you will get the dog you deserve.

#477667 - 01/05/09 08:02 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: sodfarmer]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
I'd get a Lab. Both Goldens and Labs will hunt. For me,the long hair on a Golden would drive me nuts. My buddy has a Golden and its just a nightmare keeping his dog halfway groomed. Burrs,sticks,mud,all get caked in his coat. He has way more patience for grooming than I do.

Labs don't retain all that crap nearly as bad as Goldens.

Labs shed way more than Goldens though. I'd rather vacuum a couple times per week as opposed to all the grooming.

As far as color goes. I've got to call BS on any color being better for something than another. You can get a knothead with any color. thumbs

#478477 - 01/08/09 04:39 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: SundayMoney]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Lab all the way. Goldens are some pretty dumb dogs......

Keith

#478505 - 01/08/09 05:41 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: rtturbo]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: rtturbo
train your dog a few minutes a day and get the dog you deserve and if you dont train your dog a few minutes a day you will get the dog you deserve.

I had two golden's. First one collected starfish in the Puget Sound and hearded us kids like cattle. Loyal to the death and a very cool dog.

The other one hunted, but was flakey as all hell. I think she got some in to some poisoned gophers and was never the same since.

I'd second what most said about goldens. They tend to have breed issues, bad hips, way too much damn hair to collect thistles and things that never come out. They are very loyal, loving, and make for a great family dog.

Most of the labs I meet mostly reflect their owners and how their were trained, or not trained. One shouldn't have to ever "bark" louder than their lab.......

Unless you get a truly phsyco dog, most "issues" with hunting labs and goldens stem from the rtturbo's quote above.

If I were to get another hunting dog, I'd get a lab.

#478527 - 01/08/09 06:44 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: The Moderator]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
When I finally get a new dog it will be a lab.

Black, because they are easier to hide. I grew up with a yellow lab, and he was awesome. A great hunter. My dad has a yellow and he is a pain in the ass. He does some nice retrieves, but will not hunt very hard.

My old dog, I trained everyday for just 5 minutes, and that is all it really takes to make a good waterfowl hunter, and overall good dog.

My dad inherited his dog from my sister, after she went to college. Her ex-boyfriend had given him to her. His basic hunting training was annoying my good dog, and the results show it.

My dogs don't get to live in the house. They're dogs.

#478561 - 01/08/09 07:48 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Rocket Red]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

I think you are missing out RR. I've got friends who also do not let their dogs live in the house. I don't let mine on the furniture but having them indoors at night is nice. They are love machines. If you or the kids have a bad day you can count on those little buggers to sit at your feet for pets and general goodness.
My last dog also saved me from a middle of the night break in at my house. I was already sold on the live inside thing but after that in was in cement. That old dog got a free pass after that incident.
This current puppy however is making me rethink the whole thing. He's a good dog and all but I swear he has horns.

#478576 - 01/08/09 08:40 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: seastrike]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: seastrike
This current puppy however is making me rethink the whole thing. He's a good dog and all but I swear he has horns.

Originally Posted By: parker
Most of the labs I meet mostly reflect their owners and how their were trained, or not trained.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#478632 - 01/08/09 11:56 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: NOFISH]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

My last three labs were each in their own way dogs of a lifetime they could hunt ducks ,quail pheasants what ever I was hunting and every one rode up front with me and stayed inside the house . Tomorrow I am going to look at some golden pups a few years ago in Royal City I watched two goldens working a corn field side by side with just hand signals from their owner impressed the hell out of me ( yes Dave I know a lot of farmers on the east side ) Not sure yet if I really what to go that route but can't hurt to look Maybe I can start training my new pup to hunt LaConner Turkeys

#478647 - 01/09/09 01:11 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: sodfarmer]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

You don't need a dog for those LaConner turkeys Todd....just a hockey stick.
My date worked out pretty good tonight. Not sure if I'm going to keep her but I'm thinking about it.
Screw you Pat.
whistle

#478649 - 01/09/09 01:15 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: seastrike]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

PS
Todd how the hell do you go look at a dog and not bring it home. I've never been that guy. I go look at dogs and at least one is coming home.

#478768 - 01/09/09 03:22 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: ]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

Stam ,what's with the 420 grill in the background .
Passed on the puppies this morning (long story )

Edited by sodfarmer (01/09/09 03:23 PM)

#478822 - 01/09/09 07:06 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: ]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

I have a "34 GP and a "36 BR in my fleet

#478928 - 01/10/09 03:13 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: sodfarmer]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
Seems all the Goldens I have been around are very nervous and territorial. Never gonna have to worry about being surprised. They bark at everybody and anything. Never did like all the hair and cleaning they require to keep from getting the burrs and stuff behind the ears and stomach and such.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#478941 - 01/10/09 10:06 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Pugnacious]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
I just lost the BEST lab I have ever had in a divorce. Rex Beaver. A yellow male. That [censored] has more personality than all the other labs I have owned put together. Just an all around good dude. Just turned 5, about as handsome as he can be and beyond faithfull. Great Goose dog.

Crap, now I'm bummed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
birdhunter111, metalman, solducsinker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (chrome/22, stonefish), 946 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |