Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#489061 - 02/19/09 03:29 PM Kids motorcycles banned
Piper
Unregistered

Hopefully congress can get this fixed by summer... I was planning on getting my son a dirt bike for his birthday...

any guesses on how much kids bikes will cost once the third party approvals are finished... eek

click here for story

Lead law throttles youth powersports

By William M. Welch, USA TODAY

IRVINE, Calif. — A new federal law aimed at protecting children from lead in toys has also forced a nationwide halt in sales of off-road motorcycles and recreational vehicles built for young riders, killing off a multimillion-dollar industry that was thriving despite the recession.
Thousands of powersports dealers were told to halt sales of vehicles designed for children 12 and younger because of new lead restrictions in an act of Congress that took effect Feb. 10.

Even used vehicle sales are banned by law passed in response to lead found in toys imported from China.

"We're out of business as far as the youth market goes," says Rick Rizzon, owner of Rizzon Cycle in Middlesex, N.J. "It's crazy."

With the motor vehicle industry already hurting from recession, he said the ban means a 20% drop in sales of youth off-road motorcycles and the parts business for bikes already sold.

The ban hits California especially hard. Off-roading is hugely popular among families in the state and several state parks are devoted to dirt riding.

Kevin Matty, finance director at Temecula Motorsports in Temecula, Calif., (where the desert is a big draw for dirt bikers) estimates the ban will wipe out half of his business sales.

"I thought it was a joke," Matty said, until the manufacturers told him he had to take the youth vehicles off the showroom floor.

Economic repercussions

Passed by Congress after a series of reports concerning toys made in China with lead, the law bans sale of products aimed at children if they contain more than 600 parts per million of lead, says Joseph Martyak, chief of staff to the acting chairman of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Lead is found in steel and other metal alloys in the frame, motor and multiple other parts, said Paul Vitrano, general counsel for the Motorcycle Industry Council. The lead strengthens the metals and resists corrosion.

Supporters of the law hailed its passage in August.

Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., a bill co-sponsor, said at the time that supporting the law "is a vote for industry accountability, regulatory integrity, and most importantly, child safety."

Martyak said the wording of the law left the commission no choice but to enforce the ban on youth cycles and ATVs even with no evidence children would ingest or absorb the items. The industry has petitioned the commission for an exemption.

The ban will have repercussions economically.

The Motorcycle Industry Council estimates nearly 100,000 youth bikes were sold in the USA in 2008, though some were aimed at kids 13 and older and not covered by the ban. Dealernews, an industry trade publication, estimates that the value of inventory at U.S. dealers that can no longer be sold probably exceeds $100 million.

Beyond current inventory, Kawasaki spokeswoman Jan Plessner said the company has "millions and millions of dollars" worth of parts now in the product pipeline to dealers that cannot be sold.

Most cycles and ATVs are made overseas, but there are tens of thousands of jobs attached to the industry here. More than 13,000 powersports dealers sell products in the United States, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council, employing an estimated 124,000 people. Vitrano says the industry estimates the retail market value for all off-road cycles and ATVs is $14.5 billion a year, including sales, service, parts, accessories and payroll.

'Are you kidding?'

Children appeared perplexed by the ban.

"Are you kidding? This is silly," says Zack Bartell, 12, who was taking a dirt-bike riding lesson at School for Dirt's track next to Kawasaki Motors' U.S. headquarters here. "There's no way I'm going to stick a motorcycle part in my mouth."

The 12-and-under market is a huge focus for the industry because it believes children who ride will grow up to be adult riders and consumers as well. It builds bikes with single-cylinder motors as small as 50cc that fit children.

Children as young as Karsyn Boyd, who said she was "6 and a quarter," were riding with ease after an hour or so of instruction, carving figure eights, traversing hills and cutting around orange cones.

Vitrano says the ban will have a perverse effect: Rather than no longer riding, kids who can't get a cycle their size may hop on a bike made for older children or adults — one inappropriate and dangerous for a smaller child.

Terry Dempsey, sales manager at Long Beach Motorsports in Long Beach, Calif., said he sold $120,000 worth of youth bikes last year, plus more in parts, service and accessories.

"We're already down 30% (from recession), and now we just lost another 10% to 15% of our customer base," Dempsey says.

The economy notwithstanding, enthusiasts say the ban needlessly kills a family-oriented sport where children ride with their moms and dads and, like other sports, can induce children to behave.

"I know if I keep my grades up, I can keep riding," says Zack, who started riding at age 5.

#489110 - 02/19/09 05:47 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Probably some lead in bicycle frames also

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#489111 - 02/19/09 05:51 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Figures. Good thing I got the minibikes last year.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#489142 - 02/19/09 08:06 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Dogfish]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
Dear god man. I guess they figure if they make so the kids never get to experience it then they wont have to worry about them riding them later. This is bullsh!t. I think China has less restrictions on the public.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#489241 - 02/20/09 03:32 AM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Pugnacious]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
It's a commie-librul attempt at preventing red-neckery early...

So they don't go on to desire stupid Schidt like Chevy pick-ups, chum snagging, sis-fukkin', and El Caminos later in life.

#489254 - 02/20/09 09:48 AM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Irie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

El Caminos are cool.

#489270 - 02/20/09 11:32 AM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Irie]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
Originally Posted By: Irie

So they don't go on to desire stupid Schidt like Chevy pick-ups, chum snagging, sis-fukkin', and El Caminos later in life.

Irie,
Tell me this is another one of your sour attempts at humor that no one else can understand but yourself. If that is the case then great, I feel your pain. It isn't easy being the only that thinks things are funny.

If that is not the case, then what the hell are you talking about? Red-neckery? Sis fukkin? That's like saying everyone that drives a VW twinkie bus is a pot smoking, pachoulli (spellilng? I can't tell being a red neck sis fukkin chevy lover) wearing hippie. Now if you had said quad tard, or banshee riders I would have understood. smirk

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#489352 - 02/20/09 06:13 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Irie]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Irie

Id rather they turn out to be "sis-f***in' rednecks" than "Bro-f***in' commie-libruls"

#489432 - 02/20/09 11:42 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: ]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: sleeping in my duck blind
I am going in next week and buy a 90 for my kid and as long as I am writing out the check they better sell me one . I am getting sick of the Goverment telling what I can and cannot do

#489438 - 02/21/09 01:55 AM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: sodfarmer]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Remember this the next time you vote for a far left D. Many D's out there are middle of the road, but there are a fair amount of whack jobs out there.

Anybody know where I can get a mullet haircut?

#489503 - 02/21/09 03:19 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Dogfish]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
Lead levels on toys and most everything else were already regulated to be so low things were beyond safe. So Chinese toy factories sent us some goods that didn't fit underneath our lead safety standards. Imagine that. So, instead of coming down and banning/and or fining companies who produced and sold goods with too high of lead levels, we go and make our led level safety standards even tougher so more items that used to be WAY safe our now illegal. STUPID. If you have a kid that is gonna go chew on a mini-bike, then the extra led in his system is not going to do anymore harm.

Worthy regulation of products is good and responsible. Further ridiculous regulating standards just to say you made tougher regulations in order to keep kids safe is STUPID.

I am sick of politicians only getting stuff done that sounds good in a campaign commercial, but in reality is a waste of time and money. Nothing gets accomplished 'cuz most of our legislators waste their time, which is our time, on less important things that are easy to get done do to the fact that they sound good. Step up and make some tough decisions that might offend some people is what I say.

Ya might as well just ban motorcycles for kids, cuz there's a lot more chance they'll damage themselves riding one than eating one.

Stupid.

#489699 - 02/22/09 12:36 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Addicted]
Camofish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Irie ~ Is it wrong if your sis is smokin' hot???

Disclaimer: "I only lived upriver, I wasn't from there"

#490066 - 02/23/09 06:10 PM Re: Kids motorcycles banned [Re: Camofish]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
ever notice how just about any fishing tackle you buy has a lead warning on it, regardless of if it actually contains lead?(i think i bought a leader wallet that had one on it...)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |