Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#502697 - 04/15/09 05:30 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Salmo g.]
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
The Eagles dominated AOR at their peak, went solo and saturated the AOR market individually and then for awhile when the classic rock stations came online dominated that format as well. They are like that painting that hangs in your living room that you don't even notice anymore...

I used to work with Joe Walsh...briefly. Everyone else thought of Joe as cute, funny, irrascible, quirky and unpredictable....

...I thought all those things made him a dbag...and yes I have stories but they aren't for general public consumption.

As for metal and its draw...for me personally its about the combination of classical music, the blues and the middle finger...if you take the first two ingredients in that recipe you can combine them in an infinite number of ways so that each new output is something never heard before....something neither genre was able to do on its own by the time metal came along.

With classical music, its precision and rules made it mechanical and with few exceptions (Wagner and Paganinni, for example) devoid of emotion. The blues had no rules and was all about emotion....

...the proverbial peanut butter and chocolate if you will...

IMO, along with free jazz, it's the one of the last bastions of true musical expression.

Go back and listen to that Amon Amarth vid I posted. Even the gruffly sung vocals have melody....the main riff is nothing if not melodious, albeit loudly so....and the interplay between both guitars and bass follows the rules of harmony (dualling lead guitars, a bassline that moves independently from the main riff)...the drums are certainly much faster than what the older folks in here are used to listening to, but to deny that they are rhythmic and complimentary to what is happening elsewhere in the piece?

Melody, harmony, rhythm.

#502774 - 04/15/09 10:25 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: h2o]
Steelie Tamer Offline
Smolt

Loc: SW Washington
pretty much everything that sounds like this noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAB5qwhi0w

#502803 - 04/15/09 11:29 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Sol Duc]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
I hate the following really bad! in no particular order

faith no more
rush
peter frampton
extreme
live
3/11
gold finger
great white
spin doctors
styx
boston
lemon heads
wall flowers
meatloaf!!!!!!!!!!!

#502827 - 04/16/09 12:45 AM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: big moby]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
All music is just noise, Salmo.

The rest is in your head.

If it sounds good to your head, what else do you need to know?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#502850 - 04/16/09 02:40 AM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Dan S.]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
what brewer hated the most about the doors was the cheap keyboard sound. all i mentally picture is some guy hunched over like linus, from peanuts. over a cheap electric piano playing with two fingers.

#502891 - 04/16/09 12:32 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Brewer]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Dan,

Yeah, all music is noise, but not all noise is music, including a lot of noise that some would pass off as music. So you're sayin' it's about the sounds in my head, huh? Figures.

Sg

#502894 - 04/16/09 12:41 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Salmo g.]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Music is definitely in the head. I have a workout I-pod and a regular listening I-pod. On the workout I pod I have songs by bands like Man-o-war, which when I listen to under normal circumstances I can't stand.

But when I am doing a set of dead lifts or squats or something and I hear those idiotic lyrics:

"There stood he, on his chariot made of gold
He did reveal the trinity of secrets old.
A sceptre of iron could mercy bring.
A shield of gold, the Creator and king,
And the great sword of steel.
Sons of destiny shall wield."

I believe that sh!t. Turn it on when I am driving in the car and I feel like a d-bag listening to that stuff.

#502896 - 04/16/09 12:58 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Rocket Red]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

RR, just use you're playlists..no need for two pods.

- Albert Einstein.

#502897 - 04/16/09 12:58 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Rocket Red]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I don't have an I-pod. Still can't figure out that concept. But I can relate. I listen to stuff working out in spin class that I would never bother with at home or driving in the car. But it serves an entirely different purpose.

I think it's worth noting, a CD mix of 60s/70s music that I relate to, gets me in a better groove and makes for a lot more intense workout than a mix of music that I don't identify with. Dan is right. It's all about the sounds in my head.

Sg

#502900 - 04/16/09 01:14 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Salmo g.]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
Spin class rofl

Doing some trolling there?....

#502916 - 04/16/09 02:23 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Sol Duc]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
RR, just use you're playlists..no need for two pods.

Not true. The workout Ipod (excuse me MP3 player in this case) stays in the gym bag, which stays at work, since I work out in the middle of the day. The other one hooks to the car, or my remodel job-site radio. When I tried to use just one, and switch between playlists, vehicles ,and locations, I invariably forgot it either in my gym bag, my play truck, or the remodel project and never used it.

Now is much better. Salmo G. you should get one, especially for the gym and bike rides. You will get the concept as soon as you put your 60/70s rock mix in it.
Believe me, there will be no going back.

#502943 - 04/16/09 04:35 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Castingpearls]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Castingpearls
Spin class rofl

Doing some trolling there?....

? Have no idea what you mean. It's a 1 hour, 700 calorie burn.

Sg

#502949 - 04/16/09 05:11 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Salmo g.]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

I was just kidding around with ya. Spin class is a good workout, just kinda falls into the soccer mom workout.

#502955 - 04/16/09 05:37 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Castingpearls]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Alot of this is shocking. Do agree that boy bands suck though!

#502979 - 04/16/09 07:06 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: cobble cruiser]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Castingpearls,

Any soccer moms that join that workout for any length of time become MILFs!

Sg

#502981 - 04/16/09 07:19 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Salmo g.]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

That's exactly what I was getting at..... thumbs

#502986 - 04/16/09 08:01 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Castingpearls]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
the ipod is a great tool. i wear mine everynight at work. has like 3600 songs on it. some nights all i want is a grunge playlist, other nights a heavy metal. tonights its just a random play. just turned off bonham's mobey dick.

#980045 - 09/24/17 09:54 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Brewer]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
jimmy hendrix
janis joplin
bob dylan
kiss
queen
leonard skynyrd
pearl jam (seen em twice)
rage against the machine

#980047 - 09/24/17 09:58 PM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Sol Duc]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

"jimmy hendrix
janis joplin
bob dylan"

Now that's just blasphemy!

#980633 - 10/14/17 04:49 AM Re: Rock bands that you dislike... [Re: Sol Duc]
RobertF
Unregistered

Who hates the Beatles wtf??? This whole thread made me lose all hope. You guys need to have your ears fkn checked. Since you washingtonians have sh!tty taste in music I am just gonna list my top 5 least favorite Seattle bands:

1. Heart. They fuckin sucked. Other than the fact I would have f*cked the life out of Nancy Wilson I just cant hang much on the actual band. Barracuda is a travesty. That song alone is enough to make the top 5 .

2. Queensryche. Geoff Tate is a wanker. I liked Take hold of the flame and that earlier sh!t ok. Then they copied Floyd and did silent lucidity. They can eat a d!ck. Seen em live. Suck.

3. Nirvana. Other than Bleach, and maybe incesticide, they sucked. I like Dave Grohl as a drummer but Dale Crover of the Melvins (cant believe anything good ever came out of Montesano lol) played on bleach and Kurt Cobain was absolutely overrated and Krist Noveselic was just goofy on stage. Gtfoh.

4. Pearl Jam. Love 10. Hate all else. Eddie vedder is sh!t. And every " side project" those guys were in far surpassed anything pj ever did. Mad season destroys anything because Layne Staley was incredible and Eddie Vedder is a fag. Dave Vedder should sue him for slandering his last name with his overworked gutteral crappy vocals.

5. Screaming Trees. They just dont do anything for me. Crap vocalist imo. Just useless.

May as well do a list of faves.

1. Soundgarden. Other than Down on the upside, which even that had a couple songs I dig, everything else they did prior was epicly fantastic to me and Kim Thayil is a fkn monster on guitar imo. Great band. Great look. And at his peak Cornell beats all singers ever imo. Seriously great musicians all of them.

2. AIC . Jerry is a criminally underrated guitar player. Jar of flies is the greatest ep of all time hands down. And Layne . What a tragic loss to the music community as was Chris Cornell.

3. Mudhoney. Saw them live in SF a few years ago. They destroyed. Those guys are like the Iggy pop and the stooges of the grunge world ( I hate the term grunge and I am ashamed I even typed that). I like everything they ever recorded and Mark Arm is just cool to me.

4. Earth. Slow. Weird. Heroin soaked riffs. Dylan Carlson is creepy as hell. I have weird musical tastes anyway. Dig it. The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull is a really good album. Not everyones cup of tea. But some of you hate the Beatles and Bob Dylan because you don't get enough sun and probably think Starbucks makes a good cup of coffee as you proudly wear your eddie bauer sweater. Sad so sad.

5. Melvins. Buzz Osbourne is a genius. He is a visionary. Best hair of any musician. Dale Crover is a monster drummer. Maybe top 5 drummers of the modern era for me. Bullhead is a must have album imo. These guys tour actively to this day. They have never compromised. They have never sold out. They continue to break new ground. And they left Washington lol. Just kidding. Washington is lovely. Aberdeen. Longview. Enumclaw. Olympia. Great cities. Aberdeen may be the worst place I have ever been to other than all the sh!tty towns I have visited in California. Look up Needles, CA. Iraq would be a better living alternative. I digress. Anyway I love the Melvins. Never saw a bad live show from those guys.

So basically for all the [Bleeeeep!] bands from Seattle, as well as the Mariners sucking ( you had Ichiro and Griff and well. I guess you can hang on to those memories ), some fine music has come out of the State of Washington. You people certainly can't drive for sh@t.

Btw top 5 least fave all time bands while I am on a roll:

1. Eagles. Joe Walsh left James Gang for that crap?

2. Bad Company. Suck

3. Bachman Turner Overdrive

4. Bruce Springsteen. He bores the [Bleeeeep!] out of me.

5. Joan Jett . Basically all the Runaways. I would have loved to have banged Lita Ford so she could have had some more Ford in her. What a trashy slut. The Blackhearts. Why even mention them? It could just be called "Joan Jett and the Band no one gives a f**k about because they suck ).

In closing. Most of you need some musical education. Whoever listed Pantera is completely lost as a human being and I will pray for your god forsaken soul.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |