Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#508017 - 05/11/09 09:43 PM Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
I was informed by a person whom I consider to be a reliable source, the State will re-open the Voight's Creek Hatchery for what it is worth.

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#508024 - 05/11/09 09:55 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Phoenix77]
jon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: auburn, wa
Now that is great news for those of us in King and Pierce County.

#508027 - 05/11/09 10:10 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: jon]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
they'll keep funding that run-down hatchery that keeps getting flooded out and produces dismal returns, yet they want to totally shut down the wynoochee summer run steelhead program? the place should have been closed years ago.

#508042 - 05/11/09 11:17 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Chum Man]
jon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well I looked at this way Chum Man. The state could have very easily used the flood as an excuse to walk away from this hatchery and the sports fish it produces. The State could have taken the money and gone out to fill pot holes with it. They didn't and it looks like the state is going to re invest money back into a hatchery and the sport fish it produces. To me this is a good sign. We have all been worried that the state was going to pull the plug on sport fishing or worse turn a hatchery or two over to private company or a tribe. Well, maybe their not. In tough times when the state is short on money I am not going to complain when they step up and put money into sports fishing. And you just might get to keep that summer run on the Wynoochee. I hope so I hate to see that go away too but if it does maybe it will come back in better times.

#508045 - 05/11/09 11:52 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: jon]
Fish-Culture Offline
Returning Adult

Chum Man,
You are only partially correct. While Voights Creek may have a dismal return rate on its winter steelhead program, it produces one of the highest smolt to adult return rates of any hatchery program in Puget Sound on Coho, and isnt far behind on Fall Chinook. While it is largely a floss fishery, the Puyallup has one of the highest sport harvests of coho of any of the rivers in Puget Sound. While it may not be everyones cup of tea, it is an urban opportunity for thousands of license buyers. Coded Wire Tag data shows Voights Coho to show up strong in virtually every fishery in Puget Sound, the Straits, and BC, so it offers more than just a terminal opportuntity, as well.

#508094 - 05/12/09 08:47 AM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Fish-Culture]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
BTW, the State is actually going to spend money and make some major modifications, so it will not fllod so often, if at all.

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#508121 - 05/12/09 11:01 AM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Phoenix77]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
It produces alot of Salmon and gets a ton of fishing pressure. If they can't fish there, then they will go to where you are fishing Chum Man. I don't want to fish there either but I am happy all those people are not on my spots...

#508122 - 05/12/09 11:08 AM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm with Jake...I'm glad it's there, and I'm glad it collects a good portion of the flossers and snaggers from around the area...because if they are there fishing in the mud, then they aren't fishing where I'm fishing smile

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#508137 - 05/12/09 01:45 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Todd]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
You don't have to floss or snag to catch silvers in the puy/carbon, I live a block away and don't even look at it until mid to late october when it clears up then its game on, they'll bite like coastal fish.

#508141 - 05/12/09 01:56 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: stlhdr42]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Of course you don't have to floss or snag...but tell that to the hundred or so flossers and snaggers lined up below the creek when the salmon are running!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#508178 - 05/12/09 05:27 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Todd]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
OHHH yaaaaaa, I leave the pole at home grab a box of beer and the dog, laugh at people and load up on unwanted eggs. See the flossers and snaggers are good for something.

#508197 - 05/12/09 07:51 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: stlhdr42]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
I was there plunking a couple years ago and got checked by the gamie. He said my rig was ok, but I should lose the corkie/bait, put on some yarn and use a longer leader. True story...

#508212 - 05/12/09 08:55 PM Re: Voight's Creek Harchery to Stay Open [Re: Todd]
jon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

No one is ever going to convince me that fishing below a hatchery is any different from one river to another. I've been to may rivers over the years and I know better. I have yet to come across a true virgin river void of any wrong doing by anglers. And I'm really tired of snagging and flossing posts.

So, how about the state coming through with some much needed money to keep a hatchery and sports fishing going. Do you think there is some light at the end of the tunnel? For those of you active in fishing organizations is this something you have wanted and been waiting for?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |