Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#509243 - 05/18/09 08:53 PM Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall
NW Wild Country Offline
Juvenile at Sea

If you've ever travelled anywhere with Zog - never, ever will I forget the first 1 a.m. flame-run with Herzog, Judas Priest, volume 11 jellifying my eardrums - you know of his affinity for metal.

Entertaining read: Of Metal and Metalheads: The Rise and Fall ...

Edited by NW Wild Country (05/18/09 08:54 PM)

#509259 - 05/18/09 10:03 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: NW Wild Country]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Now that was a good read...hard to find much in there that I'd disagree with, either.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#509260 - 05/18/09 10:07 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: NW Wild Country]
okiedude Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: sedro woolley
I would like to read something positive from him once in a while...
I love Bills' writing but, his latest reads are nohing but, a soap box for him to stand on to say look at me... I am holier than thou.

I understand He doenst like Side-drifting??? Well guess what?
He should practice what you preachs! He is not apart of anykind of solution. In his book Drift-fishing for Steelhead he describes the technqiue in its extent for anglers to follow. Yet turns his nose down to it. Maybe you should take that page out of your book.. Cause look what happens!

Bringin' BUFOSO back for the 2010

"If you can fish Pops, you can fish anybody"

#509278 - 05/18/09 11:11 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: okiedude]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
herzog wrote his book back in the early '90s if i'm not mistaken. back then(coincidentally, also when i started steelhead fishing) it was pretty uncommon to see many folks boondogging, much less choosing it as the only way they fish like is so common now.

Edited by Chum Man (05/18/09 11:15 PM)

#509290 - 05/18/09 11:47 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Chum Man]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Thanks for posting that! Now I'm gonna have to explain to the wife why I'm smiling all night! .........and he didn't even mention float and jig!

#509294 - 05/18/09 11:54 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Chum Man]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Good read. So is it better if you do it with a fly rod, a float, and pretty orange pink green purple black blue balls "flies" of yarn? Mebbe with a touch of scent? Is it bait that makes it bad? The boat? If I use a spoon is it better? Spoondogging? wink How about float fishing? Is float fishing really any different from shore or in a boat?
I don't know...... I don't disagree with him on the music part, and all due respect to a guy who has been at it a long time. If everyone were swinging spoons, it just wouldn't be as cool anymore smile With the kind of spoons rvrfshr is makin, it won't be long until metal rules the world once again!.
Cheers,
Neal

#509298 - 05/19/09 12:01 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Wild Chrome]
okiedude Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: sedro woolley
Even though Bill wrote that in the early nineties, boondogging has been around since the sixties on the Skagit. If you ask any old timer up this way, he will describe this style of fishing to the "T". Thats just how they fished.

If Zog wants to see some innovation... he's got an open seat with me anyday:)

Bringin' BUFOSO back for the 2010

"If you can fish Pops, you can fish anybody"

#509316 - 05/19/09 12:32 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: okiedude]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Sooooooo.

Bill's not a fan of sidedrifting, huh?

smile

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#509317 - 05/19/09 12:39 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: okiedude]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
The Kip Winger of steelhead fishing... That's funny!

#509320 - 05/19/09 12:43 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Dan S.]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Boondoggin started down on The "Sac" in Cali, not the skagit. The preferred method on the skagit back in the day was anchoring up in your grandpa's skagit boat, and dropping out your plugs, or your plunking set up with a spin and glow and a shrimp and all the while gramps cooked breakfast on the camp stove.

peace Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#509323 - 05/19/09 12:58 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: superfly]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: superfly
Boondoggin started down on The "Sac" in Cali, not the skagit.

But Sac style boondoggin was straight upstream from the boat, literally dragging your goods past all the fish you just ran over with your free-drifting boat.

Same style of boondoggin' they do on the Kenai... literally "draggin' bait" as they like to say. Works OK in the glacial flows as the fish are probably unaware of the boatwith the limited viz. But it sure is a fast presentation... fish gotta grab and go NOW or miss out on the bling that just went by, as in bye bye.

The Skagit guys are the ones that discovered the merits of presenting to the fish running the slots away from the not-quite-free-drifting boat.

Zog may be down on side-drifting as a brainless technique, but it's NOT brainless for the boat operator... just the guy hangin' onto to the rod while the guy on the tiller (or the oars) puts him over all the willing biters.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#509328 - 05/19/09 01:16 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: eyeFISH]
NW Wild Country Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Definitely two different camps on the history of "boondogging", as FNP points out. The old Oregon technique would best be described as "boondragging" - matter of fact, if you fish the Tillamook streams, you'll still see guys dragging baits downstream like they were bassakwards back-bouncing ...

Edited by NW Wild Country (05/19/09 01:58 AM)

#509334 - 05/19/09 01:39 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: NW Wild Country]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
I don't always agree with Zog (if I did it would be boring) but I respect him and his writing style. He can inflict feelings that don't easily go away. I still vividly remember a story he did years ago on Hood Canal coho. He brought tears to my eyes but at the same time I was filled with rage as he wrote about the total demise of a great fish and how the fishery managers sat back and watched it happen. I still get pissed thinking about it.

As far as boondogging, I still see a place for it. Zog encourages us to learn many techniques and then use the best one for the current conditions or the one that you get the most satisfaction from using.

The old man caught more steelhead while guiding and fishing on the Skagit in its hey-day than I'll ever see but yet boondogging out of his home made boats is the only steelhead method he ever learned. He wouldn't know how to catch a fish from shore if it bit him in the arse. I on the other hand had to learn multiple techniques in rivers devoid of fish, pretty much as a bank maggot. Therefore, I love side drifting out of a flat bottom sled because the boat operator does all the work and I can sit back and enjoy the fishing. Only problem is this only occurs about once every three or four years but yet its my all-time favorite technique, except for maybe hooking fish on a swinging dry.

As far as music, I grew up listening to my older brothers' music from the late 70s and then my music from the 80s and love it. I can't tell if the music was better then than now because of my biased opinion but it sure seems like it was better then, just like the fishing.

#509338 - 05/19/09 02:03 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: The Catcherman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Hey for those of you music who like oldies, you need to log onto internet "radio" by Pandora.

PANDORA

Just put in the genre or artist you want and it automatically creates a "radio station" with an assortment of songs representative of that artist/genre.

Great stuff when you are stuck at the sink cleaning a mess of clams.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#509357 - 05/19/09 08:33 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: eyeFISH]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The Zog likes to catch fish and will do what ever techniqueit takes to get a wiggle on the end of his stick. He might have his favorite ways to catch fish but he's not dumb, he will do what ever it takes.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#509381 - 05/19/09 11:30 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: eyeFISH]
BERG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: fishNphysician

thumbs

I love it. You can create dozens of different stations, which Pandora saves for you. I can switch from Tool radio, to Bob Marley radio, to Randy Travis, etc. depending on the weather.

And say a Nickelback song somehow shows up on one of my stations.....give it a thumbs down, and it goes away! applause

#509382 - 05/19/09 11:31 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Jerry Garcia]
BERG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
...will do what ever techniqueit takes to get a wiggle on the end of his stick...

Amen.

#509393 - 05/19/09 12:04 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: BERG]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Good article. The only statement I disagree with was

"The new “gurus” of side drifting catching 400 fish a year are no more steelheaders than some guy who consistently makes holes in one on a putt-putt course is a PGA pro."

I don't care *what* technique you are using, but if you can personally catch 400 steelhead in a year, you ARE a steelheader. Someone of that skill can read water like there's no tomorrow. Correctly reading and interpreting water is 99% of the "skill" of being a good steelheader, IMO.

#509425 - 05/19/09 01:12 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: The Moderator]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I've never cared for heavy metal music or for calling steelhead metalheads. It's undignified. It seems like Bill is criticizing fishermen who are "one dimensional," who know no method of steelheading other than boondogging. I think that's legitimate. A well rounded angler is one who can employ a variety of gear and methods under varying conditions and catch fish.

As for sheer quantity, Bill's right, and Parker is wrong. When steelhead runs are, or were, abundant, a one-dimensional angler could stand on a select rock at some hatchery blood hole (Cook Ck, Salmon R, Fortson, etc.) and repeat the same cast for as many hours and days as necessary and catch 400 steelhead a year. That makes him a successful fisherman in one place under one set of conditions, but not necessarily a skilled angler. Drop him off on a wilderness river containing only wild fish and he may catch fish only by random accident when there is no blood hole. It's all part of the difference between an evolved and a not-so-evolved fisherman.

Sg

#509429 - 05/19/09 01:27 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Salmo g.]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
As for sheer quantity, Bill's right, and Parker is wrong.

He wrote it, not me.

I wouldn't have said anything if he'd put down a *realistic* number......

wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |