THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#517366 - 06/30/09 01:33 PM Swim baits for tuna?
Happy Birthday The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville

I'm intrigued by the idea of using/tossing swim baits for tuna, yet I know little about what baits are being used and how they are fished.

What's a good swim bait used for tuna?

How is it fished? You stopped on a pile of tuna and cast/retrieve them, or are they trolled behind the boat?

What's the skinny?

#517378 - 06/30/09 02:07 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The best way to do it, by far.

Any swimbait you'd use for lingcod will work fine.

Cast them from as far away as you can manage and still get it in the school, and hold on...you'll reel them to the boat in short order, then they'll go straight down and it will take another 10 or 15 minutes to get 'em in the boat.

The last time I did swimbaits for tuna I used an 11', 10-20 Lami Cert. Pro. with 40# PP, and these:

http://www.fishusa.com/Storm-WildEye-Swim-Shad-5-and-6-Swim-Baits_p.html

Bring your back, you'll need it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#517382 - 06/30/09 02:12 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: Todd]
The Chosen One

Gotcha.

Why not just use live 'chovies at that point?

8 of us filled the Hula Girl with 160+ tuna last year and were done by 1:00 pm. We had to stop because the boat was at the waterline and couldn't hold any more fish without fear of sinking. All but a couple were caught on live baits. I got one on a Point Wilson Dart, which was pretty fun and a change of pace from the live bait action.

Going back again this year for more abuse. Easily, the most fun one can have on the ocean.

#517383 - 06/30/09 02:16 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: The Moderator]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

1. I can cast a 1 oz. swimbait a helluva lot farther than an anchovie, and the fish weren't letting us get close that day.

2. My captain's "live" well was a "dead" well...we burned an hour and a half filling the damn thing with bait, and then it all died. We used it for chum.

Having a tuna latch onto a lure while you're retrieving it is cool...cooler than watching line spool off a reel while they much on a 'chovie.

Fish on...

Todd

#517386 - 06/30/09 02:26 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: Todd]
The Chosen One

Did you have Seastuck on board? He probably ate all the bait.......

Sky-Guy is doing the "I'll pretend to eat a bait in order to coax Seastuck in to really eating an anchovie" thing in the background. rofl

The gal in the green gloves was puking all day long and I don't think this helped. rofl

#517388 - 06/30/09 02:33 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: Todd]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I think live bait is WAY more fun but I would throw a kelp cutter if that is what it took. wink

Trolling them work to switch up for something new if you are seeing fish but no getting hit. Troll at live bait speeds- you will see behind the boat when they are swimming best.

Casting to jumpers works too. If you cast too close you will put them down. 90% of the takes come on the drop not the retrieve. So cast, controlled free spool and count to twenty or so. We have had hits on a steady retrieve but the drop is more productive.

Green and silver, blue and silver work just match the size and color to what is around. I used Berkely power 'chovys but they are too soft. Any anchovy pattern will work.

I am a boat ho in this case too and I cant wait to get out there again! August probably.

Good luck
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#517390 - 06/30/09 02:38 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: The Moderator]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Originally Posted By: parker
Gotcha.

Why not just use live 'chovies at that point?

8 of us filled the Hula Girl with 160+ tuna last year and were done by 1:00 pm. We had to stop because the boat was at the waterline and couldn't hold any more fish without fear of sinking. All but a couple were caught on live baits. I got one on a Point Wilson Dart, which was pretty fun and a change of pace from the live bait action.

Going back again this year for more abuse. Easily, the most fun one can have on the ocean.

What Todd said. But I believe the popularity of swim baits stems from ports without the availabitly of live bait.

http://www.fishtraplures.com/_Colors.html Gotta be the most popular brand of swimbaits in the PNW.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a 3oz blue/silver LJ Crippled Herring as an Albie casting lure. Very versitle incase the tuna 100ft below your boat are better biters that the ones on the surface. I think the profile is more of that of their natural forage too, as opposed to a swimbait.

#517393 - 06/30/09 02:47 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: Jaydee]
The Chosen One

All good stuff to know. Now, I just gotta Ho my way on to SZ or NG's boat! wink

Once you go Tuna, you become an instant TunaHo for life!

#517394 - 06/30/09 02:49 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: The Moderator]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I was told that going tuna fishing would endanger steelhead on my "favorite fish to fish for and catch" list...which didn't happen, or even close, but it is really fun, and you can't beat the eats.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I'll throw my name in the boat ho hat...anyone needs a good reeler for a day of tuna fishing, I'm in smile

#517399 - 06/30/09 03:08 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: Todd]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Unless I mysteriously win the lottery my 100k boat won't materialize for another ten years. In the meantime tunaHOing isnt so bad. Luckily I have been invited by a killer captian for the last two seasons- pay my share of gas and divy up the take and try to earn my way back by putting more than my fair share of fish in the boat. It is more like winning a grocery spree than actually shopping. Live bait albacore is hands down as much fun as you can have on the water.
Last year, on the last trip of the season, they had to keep moving because threshers kept coming in and biting them off after three or so fish to the boat. I can't quit day dreaming about the chance to set the hook on a fish that big...
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#517403 - 06/30/09 03:35 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: The Moderator]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Well I suppose I'd ask the same question, if we down here on the left coast's taint had the option between the two. But for we Oregon anglers, who only hear about this 'live bait' jazz, swimbaits are as good as it gets.

There are many ways to effectively fish them. ALWAYS have a few rods rigged, especially if trolling conventional clones/feathers/jet heads. As soon as those rods hook up, drop heavy headed (2+ oz) swimbaits into your prop wash, right off the lines of the hooked up rods. Free spool them down as you wait the 6-10 sec for more troll rods to hook up, then as you take the boat out of gear and work those rods, engage reels on the swim baits and place them in the holders, and let them bob with the swell as you bring troll fish in. They'll light up!

Casting to jumpers: Whippy-er rods, as the one Todd mentioned earlier, with lighter, smaller heads/bodies, so you can flat out huck them a ways. 4" bodies, in clear/silver flake, black back white body, blue back white body, on 3/4 - 1.5 oz heads with red eyes.

Trolling: Starting late Aug last year, we had much higher numbers trolling 2 -3 oz heads on 5-6" bodies in standard troll patterns (only slower, 4-5kts) than we did running clones, etc.

As mentioned earlier, most bites are on the drop, and in the words of my old man, on his first swimbait hook up " ' Sum beeeeeeeech!" as he nearly lost the rod. I like to bomb a couple mega casts and instantly engage the reel, placing them up in the rocket launchers, after we've stopped to deal with troll caught fish. As these cast swimmers sink, you'll suddenly go from 4 fish on, to 6+.

As for other options, the crippled herring mentioned above are slick, but check out "Spinnow"s, the 2.5 oz size. They run on a heavy wire spinner shaft, and 'spin' as they drop, and on fast retrieves(fast jigging). Just be sure to swap out the factory trebles.

A solid swimbait hookup is "Tunabites" by MarkMc off Ifish. Makes them in his free time, and has built a huge following. He has spent a LOT of time perfecting the plastics, colors, etc. I guess that is to be expected from an HP engineer.
I'll try to get some pics of heads and bodies up later...

Pics up (I hope they work)
Various Tunabite bodies, from the big dogs (6") to the late season special (4")

Here are some various heads I Poured up to match them, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 oz, 3d recessed eyes

And here are the Spinnows, after an Owner mod.

Edited by Twitch (06/30/09 08:13 PM)

#517404 - 06/30/09 03:43 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: Twitch]
The Chosen One

Originally Posted By: Twitch
But for we Oreogn anglers, who only hear about this 'live bait' jazz, swimbaits are as good as it gets.

Bummer.

It's something I'd highly recommend to anyone. I was a skeptic until last September. Now, I'm an addict.

As mentioned above, live 'chovies are truly a very fun way to get tuna.

Watching your reel quickly devoid itself of a vast quantity of mono as you count to 8 is beyond words.

Not to mention, when you slam the clutch in place, the fish takes another 100 yards of line or so at Mach 4, just for good measure!

After that, it's just rinse, lather, repeat. wink

#517406 - 06/30/09 03:51 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: The Moderator]
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles
Hey Parker, Keep an extra tuna or two for me wink

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#517407 - 06/30/09 03:52 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: The Moderator]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Here are some heads I just made up. The owner saltwater line of jig hooks are flat out scary.

Edited by Twitch (06/30/09 08:20 PM)
Edit Reason: Pics not working

#517409 - 06/30/09 04:00 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: TBird]
The Chosen One

Originally Posted By: TBird
Hey Parker, Keep an extra tuna or two for me

Hopefully you'll be in town in September - I invited everyone and their dog over for TunaFeed 08. Will do it again this fall.

All it takes is a hot BBQ, a couple of cast iron pans, and more 1" thick tuna loin cuts than you could ever want to eat. Toss in beer on tap and it's a Feast!!!!

thumbs

#517410 - 06/30/09 04:03 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: The Moderator]
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles

That'll work! I should be around wink

Originally Posted By: parker
I invited everyone and their dog over for TunaFeed 08. Will do it again this fall.

Evidently my owner didn't pass on the invite rofl wink

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#517411 - 06/30/09 04:09 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: TBird]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Can't beat piles of tuna for eatin'.

Save some for sashimi!

Fish on...

Todd

#517418 - 06/30/09 04:32 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: TBird]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
Thanks for the beta, Twitch. That's all killer info...

#517426 - 06/30/09 04:53 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: LoweDown]
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
One more thimg parker, don't forget the home made kiwi salsa, killer on fresh BBQ tuna,

#517434 - 06/30/09 05:27 PM Re: Swim baits for tuna? [Re: Doug Kelly]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Swim baits are kick ass after hooking up on the troll rods,what we have learned is let the crackers/newby's reel in the troll rods while the people in the know get out the swim bait rods and start casting.Next thing ya know all the rods are loaded up,if they didn't load on the troll/slide.The swim baits that we use are called "Fish Trap" and 95% of the time we use the "Albi Special" which is black & purple.We put these on a 1-1.5 oz lead head.The key is to glue the swim bait to the lead head a few day's before heading out then it will last a little longer before it's torn up and need to switch to a new one.Like said above they like to hit it on the drop there fore the bail is in free spool,then slam it and set.Fun stuff.We mix it up with trolling/swim baitin and live baiting also.If it wasn't for winter metal and summer tuna I'd be lost,fishin for salmon in the ocean just hasn't been the same after getting into the tuna gig the last 3 years.Parker I owe ya a trip of some sort and it needs to be redeemed soon,your on the list I just won't tell ya what number you are.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 20 Gage), 1325 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |