Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#522829 - 07/26/09 07:55 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
If you are hooking lots of true cod in an area and you think you have yet another on the line......why not just leave the line down there and see what happens.

You don't know it is a true cod yet, you are probably saving all the others you will hook if you don't unhook this one, and most importantly, I know from experience that a lot of large bottom feeders feckin' love these fish. wink

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#522845 - 07/26/09 09:00 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: Tackle Shack]
bullshooter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: graham wa.
Originally Posted By: miniloomis
Originally Posted By: bullshooter
I caught a bunch of them in the straits during halibut season. There were a bunch of them in front of Pillar Point. While fishing 300ft for Halibut we caught one about 5-6lbs. Released it but later regretted it when we found out they are good eating.

Just because a fish is good to eat is NOT reason enough to eat it. IMHO there is no way Pacific cod should be retained by anyone in Washington State.

They will come back if we let them. Of course the dirtbad draggers will wipe them out ASAP while destroying habitat as a side benefit. Even so we should not base our actions on the poor behavior of others.

Well said and point taken. Even if it is legal to do so. Kinda like bonkin' a 30lb nate just cause one can. But we dont want to beat that dead horse. whistle

Edited by bullshooter (07/26/09 09:02 PM)

#522895 - 07/27/09 12:13 AM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: ParaLeaks]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

i caught on off the alki pier last winter that was about 17" long. i was shocked to say the least. but as the year has went one ive heard of alot.

also there has been alot of black sea bass caught in the des moines area. i seen 8 or 9 caught in one night that were in the 1-2lb range

#522897 - 07/27/09 12:17 AM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: bankbum]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Used to be thick on possesion and mission bar back when I was a kid - some of them quite large. I've got a picture of my brother kissing about a 15# pacific true cod. Used to be a lot of hake around too - anyone been seeing any of those?

#522916 - 07/27/09 01:51 AM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: OceanSun]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
I would believe they migrated in... Let's hope they stay around. I haven't caught a TC since the late 70s or early 80s when this last March I could keep them off the line. They are a pain when you are blackie fishing.

As far as hake, haven't seen one of those for a while either.

Without looking at the regs, I believe it is illegal to retain True Cod in 5-13.

I can vividly remember when blackie fishing was slow mooching or jigging off Point Fosdick for limits of these tasty fish.

#522920 - 07/27/09 02:10 AM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: Capt Downriggin']
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
My cousin used to fish for hake as a kid. He would ride his bike down to Les Davis pier at night with no fishing gear on hand! He would find some line a hook and some old bait on the dock and many times he would come home with several hake.

#523012 - 07/27/09 02:27 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Rickomatic Offline
Smolt

Loc: Snohomish
I too remember catching lots of true cod and hake while salmon fishing. I also remember catching them from the old Edmonds dock where my brother and I used to fish at night in the late 60's.
My dad used to have an old 30' Bristol Bay double ender sailboat that we would go on with him as long as he made sure we'd get a little fishing time. We used to catch lots of cod between Kingston & Edmonds.
One thing to remember (and I'm no expert) is that hake and true cod do look "similar". Also, there is a seperate fish called a Tom Cod which is a small version of the Pacific Cod, growing to maybe 12"-14" and can be mistaken for a young Pacific Cod. I remember one time catching dozens of them off our dad's sailbot in Quatermaster Harbor one evening and while bringing one up feeling a huge jerk on my rod, then back to normal. When that little Tom Cod came to the surface some kind of 8'+ shark loomed up from the deep following it. You never saw a couple of kids scramble for high ground faster than my brother and I did. eek

#523036 - 07/27/09 03:37 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: Rickomatic]
WaveDancer Offline
Parr

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Originally Posted By: Rickomatic
snip...
One thing to remember (and I'm no expert) is that hake and true cod do look "similar". Also, there is a separate fish called a Tom Cod which is a small version of the Pacific Cod, growing to maybe 12"-14" and can be mistaken for a young Pacific Cod.

We also caught a lot of what we called "tomcod" but now I know that they were actually "greenling" and mostly the females as the color was almost always brown/gold.

The true tell tale sign between greenling and pacific cod or true cod is a white whisker under the chin, whereas the tomcod had no whisker.

WD.

#523042 - 07/27/09 03:49 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: WaveDancer]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

tomcod
pacific cod (true cod)
hake

and also don't forget the walleye pollock

all look somewhat similar. Not sure if I can tell the difference between a tomcod, true cod, or WP when the fish is less than 12 inches long. At least with hake, they have more readily identifiable features, like bigger teeth and a generally oddball appearance

Edited by cheapskate (07/27/09 03:51 PM)

#523104 - 07/27/09 05:16 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: cheapskate]
Rickomatic Offline
Smolt

Loc: Snohomish
Pacific Cod (True cod) = Gadus Macroephalus can reach 119 cm (46.9 in)

Pacific Tomcod = microgadus proximus can reach 30.5 cm (12 in)

And, Tomcod do have the whisker. I remember them looking like "minnie me" versions of True cod.

I do remember the unique "google eyes" of the Walleyed Pollack.

Hake were harder to tell apart from True cod, although usually smaller, if memory serves me correct.

I think "Krab" is made from either pollock or hake.

#523118 - 07/27/09 05:32 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: WaveDancer]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: WaveDancer
[quote=Rickomatic]snip...

We also caught a lot of what we called "tomcod" but now I know that they were actually "greenling" and mostly the females as the color was almost always brown/gold.

I humbly disagree. I spent my youth on the docks catching Tom Cod. They look just like a small Pacific Cod. There are two types of Tom Cod Microgradus tomcod, and Microgradus proximus.

Greenling, Hexagrammos decagrammus, look like, well ,greenling, or if you have enough imagination perhaps lingcod, but to me they do not look like Tom Cod . Also note the male and female kelp greenling look quite dissimilar

Edited by Dave Vedder (07/27/09 05:37 PM)

#523136 - 07/27/09 05:54 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: Dave Vedder]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

What I had always heard was that they spawned in Agate Pass and that it was the largest run in the world. Then they allowed the commercials to net Agate Pass during the spawn and wipe them out.

Hake are night feeders. Used to be mooching for kings you had to thin out the true cod to get to the kings and in the evening you fished until you caught a hake. Hake will destroy leaders and once you catch one all you are going to catch is more hake.

#523138 - 07/27/09 05:55 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: stlhead]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Vedder, I thought you spent your youth catching crabs?

#523147 - 07/27/09 06:30 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: stlhead]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: stlhead
Vedder, I thought you spent your youth catching crabs?

That was my Navy years.

#523175 - 07/27/09 07:46 PM Re: Pacific Cod? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Here's what the little fellows look like.

Edited by Sebastes (07/27/09 07:48 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |