LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#531130 - 08/23/09 05:16 PM Kettle River?
kjsteelhead Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellingham
I'm heading to Colville later this week. Was wondering if it's worth it for us giving the Kettle River a try. I have a raft, any advice on put-ins and take-outs? Trout or bass or both in the river?

#531133 - 08/23/09 05:41 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: kjsteelhead]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Whether the Kettle is worth taking a raft to can only be answered by you. Some would say yes, others would say, no. Depends on lots of different criteria. If your in good shape and are willing to walk, then the raft is not needed. If you have a buddy meeting you there and you have two vehicles available, then you got your shuttle vehicle already there and a raft would be a good bet.

It is mostly a trout river, especially higher up. There are a few other critters that wander into the lower Kettle.

Sorry, can't help you with put ins/take outs.

Good luck.

#531161 - 08/23/09 09:15 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: kjsteelhead]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

It's been 10 years or so, but I used to fish it every summer....Never did float it, but always wanted to. Where Toroda Creek rd meets E Kettle river rd, would be my choice for put in....I always wanted to float all the way to Curlew, which would probably take a long day...saw lots of people do it in a canoe. Healthy river with lots of bull trout...post a report if you go...Tom

#531168 - 08/23/09 10:11 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: Speyguy]
mindfusion Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: bonney lake
grew up on the kettle. from laurier to just north of barstow it is a trout stream with some NICE rainbows. From just south of the Barstow bridge to the columbia river its primarily walleye and small mouth bass ( My brother still pulls a few nice bass outta there around Kamloops)

As for launches, there is a small set of rapids just north of barstow and the river is pretty low right now I imagine so that area is not nice on boats.

THere is a nice launch just north of boyds across the Napoleon bridge concrete plenty of parking.

I think there is also a launch at kamloops campground?

north of barstow is a pack in show but you can float the entire river from laurier down to barstow on a pontoon boat

#531179 - 08/23/09 11:31 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: mindfusion]
Snake_River Offline
Fry

Loc: spokane washington

As previously stated (below)
"THere is a nice launch just north of boyds across the Napoleon bridge concrete plenty of parking."

Best fishing would be for walleye from the bridge by Napoleon down stream.... Bait of choice would be crawlers or Gulp (leach or minnows) .... good eats...

#531212 - 08/24/09 02:13 AM Re: Kettle River? [Re: Snake_River]
kjsteelhead Offline
Fry

Thanks for the replies. I think we'll try it for trout north of Barstow and leave the raft at home.

#531235 - 08/24/09 10:24 AM Re: Kettle River? [Re: kjsteelhead]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
If you are heading that way there are lots of better little rivers to fish than the kettle. It is a fun float but we always did it in a tube with lots of beer. Watch the gorge though. A little rough on a boat of anything else.
Now far as rivers over there.....The Colville is full of large trout with good access all along the highway. Sheep creek is fun for small trout and all along the Pend is great.
For large trout you will get much better #'s on the Big C up by Wanita(sp.) border crossing. Once there it is about a mile walk down to the river but well worth it. Good Bows and even some dolly's. The best catching would be a boat on the Big C for walleye though. We have 50 to 100 fish days up there. Troll bottom walkers on ledges about 30 to 60 ft. Even throwing rapalas in the rocks, grass or about anywhere will get you some fish.

#531314 - 08/24/09 05:16 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: docspud]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Kettle is super pretty up high with classic trout flyfishing. The lower river holds some HUGE trout. I had a rainbow swim by me at sloth speed that was easily over 12 pounds.

If you are over there, hit the San Poil River.

#531320 - 08/24/09 06:02 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

If you decide to fish the San Poil, ya might want to get a fishing permit from the Indian reservation though. Big trout in that one!

Edited by cobble cruiser (08/24/09 06:03 PM)

#531321 - 08/24/09 06:10 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: cobble cruiser]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I'm unfamiliar with the need for the alternate permit although I don't doubt it. I fished it many years ago and fished in a very accessible section right off the highway. Fly fishing was the way to go. Broke off a HUGE trout on a hopper and caught a ton of other decent fish.

#531322 - 08/24/09 06:24 PM Re: Kettle River? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
20 years ago those where my old stomping grounds. We used to camp up on Boulder Pass in September, hunt deer in the mornings, fish the Kettle and re-bait our bear stands during the day, and then sit in our bear stands in the evenings. Good times. Then came the dog/bait-ban initiative and it was over. frown

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 632 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |