THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#533912 - 09/02/09 05:34 PM Puyallup report!
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Puyallup, Wa.
I know that most on this board consider the Puyallup river a poop hole of toothless losers, but just in case there are some who were wondering, here is a little report!

Went to my super secret spot..I wont tell you where...oh, ok, you talked me into it, under the Fred Meyer's bridge. I arrived right at day light and there were only around 4 or 5 people there; plenty of room.

First cast...Bang! Silver. Second cast..nothing...considered leaving a that point but troopered on.

All in all I was there 5 hours and I caught 49 pinks and 11 silvers!

Right about 11am more and more toothless losers were showing up and the snag fest began. I differentiate myself from the above mentioned toothless losers by noting that I 1. fish a Gloomis, 2. Just bought some Simms G3 guides, and 3. I still have most of my teeth!

Only saw one king caught...a native, but the guy kept insisting that it was a silver to justify his poachery.

My arms and hands are killing me! But I'll be there tomorrow and will skip the weekend. Being unemployed does have it's advantages!

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#533919 - 09/02/09 05:37 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Yeah, there are a ton of silvers in there right now, but most are from 2-6 pounds.

#533922 - 09/02/09 05:41 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Driftfishnw]
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

I'll buy that, the one that kept was around 5-7lbs.

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#533924 - 09/02/09 05:42 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
Originally Posted By: Geddy5
I differentiate myself from the above mentioned toothless losers by noting that I 1. fish a Gloomis, 2. Just bought some Simms G3 guides, and 3. I still have most of my teeth!

After witnessing some of the local meat holes the last few years, I can only give you credit for #3.

Many a snagger has donned the Loomis and Simms to go down for some grip it and rip it action.

The missing teeth are the only give away.

#533926 - 09/02/09 05:48 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Castingpearls]
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

LOL, I can agree with that! Day before yesterday I actually asked a guy who was 'setting' the hook every 2 seconds or so, "are you a snagger?" He replied, "Why?" I said, "It doesn't matter to me what you do, but I would imagine that there is a hefty fine for doing that." He didn't reply, but he did seem to tone it down for about 3 casts before resuming his antics.

In the interest of full disclosure, I DO use a 5 foot leader so maybe I'm not as pure as I'd like to think. However, of all the fish that I caught, only two were fouled.

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#533930 - 09/02/09 05:52 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

LOL, In the interest of full disclosure, I DO use a 5 foot leader so maybe I'm not as pure as I'd like to think. However, of all the fish that I caught, only two were fouled.

Admission of guilt is the first step in snagging recovery program!

#533933 - 09/02/09 05:53 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Driftfishnw]
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

2 snags out of 60 fish isn't too bad is it?

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#533938 - 09/02/09 05:59 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

You tell us.

#533943 - 09/02/09 06:01 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Castingpearls]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Castingpearls
Many a snagger has donned the Loomis and Simms to go down for some grip it and rip it action.

Probably using Owner or RVRFSHR hooks, too.

rofl

#533944 - 09/02/09 06:02 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: The Moderator]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
....hot lure was two black corkies and a paddletail rvrfshr worm on 3/0 sickles.

#533946 - 09/02/09 06:03 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: The Moderator]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Although they don't use a Diawa reel since that would hurt their delicate hands.

#533948 - 09/02/09 06:05 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Castingpearls]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Subtle, yet nice. Well played!

+1

#533950 - 09/02/09 06:06 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Castingpearls]
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

I would say that it's not bad at all. I fish a spinning set up, and I keep one finger on the line where it comes out of the reel. I feel the 'tap tap tap' of the sinker bouncing off the bottom and only set the hook when I feel pressure on the line or a tug. That's the way I was taught. If I'm doing it wrong, please let me know. It seems to me that you are going to foul at least one or two no matter what you do when they're in the river so thick.

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#533953 - 09/02/09 06:09 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: The Moderator]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Swing and a miss / swing and a hook up.Oh never mind I don't know where I was going with this.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Don't worry I know a person who has all his teeth and not a tweaker and lives close by the river and makes over 130K per year and still goes down to participate in the activities of the puy and carbon."WHY" I'll never know as he own's a house & property down in the gray's harbor area and owns a drift boat to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Takes all kinds.

#533958 - 09/02/09 06:13 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

I would say that it's not bad at all. I fish a spinning set up, and I keep one finger on the line where it comes out of the reel. I feel the 'tap tap tap' of the sinker bouncing off the bottom and only set the hook when I feel pressure on the line or a tug. That's the way I was taught. If I'm doing it wrong, please let me know. It seems to me that you are going to foul at least one or two no matter what you do when they're in the river so thick.

You using a bait of eggs or a spinner?

If not, and all you are using is the classic corky/yarn terminal gear (5' leader is PLENTY long enough to floss with), the argument can be made that you are probably flossing *some* of those fish...

Not accusing. Just saying......

#533962 - 09/02/09 06:19 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: The Moderator]
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

By spinning I just meant a spinning reel (don't know all the lingo yet, haven't been river fishing all that long and I'm still learning). I'm not sure what 'flossing' is, though I have an idea, but that seems a reasonable assumption.

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#533987 - 09/02/09 07:34 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
SmellslikeTuna Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seabeck, WA
I know that most on this board consider the Puyallup river a poop hole of toothless losers, but just in case there are some who were wondering, here is a little report!

Nice fishing! No dead bodys floating\snagged?

#533992 - 09/02/09 08:13 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: SmellslikeTuna]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Kenai flip.

#533996 - 09/02/09 08:22 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: fish4brains]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

More like the "Federal way Rip"!

#534013 - 09/02/09 09:54 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Driftfishnw]
tailout terror
Unregistered

Why is it forbidden to admit the fact that 99.999% of the fish caught on the Puyallup in August and September are flossed. Drives me crazy when I hear that the ticked-off fisherman that swears up and down they bit........"It was in the tongue".... "It was down the throat"...... yada, yada, yada...... I'd get flamed for saying this on any other site but you folks seem to have it together........ Do I participate?????? Well, I do fish eggs and humpy eggs are, well, fantastic.... Hmmmmm....... My black bead was smokin' em....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |