Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#697255 - 08/02/11 05:50 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Driftin']
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
Would it be OK to use Rem Oil on a pellet gun to lube the seals; or should I just buy the oil marketed for pellet guns?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#697270 - 08/02/11 06:56 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: MartyMoose]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

So I've looked at a few and am leaning toward an RWS. It's a spring pump model, single shot. Do these tend to be more accurate and durable than CO2 models? And should I buy it with the scope offered in the catalog, use iron sights that it comes with, or buy a better scope?

Sg

#697617 - 08/04/11 02:19 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Salmo g.]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

I have a Crossman Odyssey break barrel type that my 18 y/o son left behind. He lost the scope for it some ears back so I have zeroed in the sights and use it for target practice.

I'm looking at the Ruger Airhawk for myself.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#697649 - 08/04/11 04:36 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: MartyMoose]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Marty:
The "spring air" guns require special oil. Using the wrong il can cause the oil/air mixture to combust, called "dieseling". This can cause damage to your piston and other internals. It sounds like a .22LR when this happens.

SG:
With CO2 guns, you have a drop off in speed over time, plus the added cost of CO2 over time. I do like them for the reason of the fixed barrel and the quick reloads, but the cost of CO2, and having to carry them, is a big downside. Imagine a tornado of crows above you, with more in the trees, and you run out of CO2. Buzz kill.

Accuracy wise, a good break action spring air RWS is every bit as accurate for you and me, as a CO2 gun would be. RWS does make a few side levers that have fixed barrels, but I'm not sure of the cost. My .22 cal Webley shoots dime sized groups at 40 yards. Certainly accurate enough for head shots on starlings and crows at that range.

Scope wise, you need to use a scope specifically designed for spring air guns. Spring air guns have a rather violent recoil impulse and they will trash your average .22 scope, or even cheap Tasco full sized rifle scopes. The cross hairs on the spring air scopes are build sturdier to take the additional recoil. Make sure your scope ring bases either have an integral scope stop, or buy one. About $15, and it keeps your scope from moving, again due to the recoil impulse.

I use iron sights on my .177 rifle, but on my .22cal rifle I have a Beeman 4x scope with a parallax compensator. It is 12+ years old and keeps on going strong after 3,000+ shots. Irons vs. a scope is a personal choice. At 40 yards and under, irons should be fine, but a scope is nice.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#697655 - 08/04/11 05:20 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I've had one of these since high school.
It's been run hard and has never failed.

The unique 5mm pellet packs a good wallop.
8 pumps max blush and a little loud grin
If you need quiet, just give it 3 for close work.

Sheridan 5mm with Weaver 4x

#697826 - 08/05/11 03:11 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Direct-Drive]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
DD,
Still have a 5mm Blue Streak that preceded the FWB 124....

SG,
A good quality break-barrel spring piston pushing quality pellets will put a smile on your face. Be sure to post pixels of same. Good glass will add to your enjoyment. As Andy indicated, only scopes designated for air rifles due to vibration/recoil. Because targets are usually close, I'd add that one with parallax adjustment is best. If your peepers are good, an aperture/peep sight doubles the sight radius of the standard irons and will serve most purposes if you don't want to go for a scope to start. Spring piston rifles take some time to smooth out and settle in. Like fine wine and women, they improve with time....

#697835 - 08/05/11 03:59 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Driftin']
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I bought this .177 pellet gun from an ad in the newspaper: 1500 fps one pump springloaded Pellet guns/$50, will deliver rofl rofl

I figured yeah, right.....but WTH, it's only $50. Dude shows it to me in the parking lot, no markings or stamping on it anywhere, and no safety......after a few rounds going through 1/2" plywood, I was sold grin

She is getting a bit tired after many rounds through her, but pellet gun dude, if you're still out there, I would buy another today thumbs

Attachments
P8050035_resize.JPG

P8050034_resize.JPG

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#697847 - 08/05/11 05:18 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: NOFISH]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Lots of those chinese guns got sold around here. I bought 3 for about $35 each. Gave them all away, but they were plenty powerful. Tended to diesel a bit because of the grease they were packed in.

#697848 - 08/05/11 05:22 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Dogfish]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
What oil would you recommend Dogfish, it could use a shot of a little sumthun sunthun, I know what you mean by diesling....

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#697930 - 08/06/11 01:38 AM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: NOFISH]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
NF-
You'll need a needle too....

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/RWS_Air_gun_Chamber_Lube_p/dyn2167510.htm

Had my 124 tuned by Beeman after a few thousand rounds. Molybdenum disulphide paste in the compression chamber and spring gel made it very smooth and quiet. No need to ever oil the chamber again with the moly. Beeman use to sell Dri-Slide with a needle for chamber lube as well but I don't see it on their website anymore. Had to shake that bottle well, inject a few drops, stroke repeatedly, invert and let the carrier solvent evaporate to preclude dieseling....

#698049 - 08/07/11 12:58 AM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Driftin']
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

What he said.

#699625 - 08/17/11 02:08 PM Re: pellet gun laws [Re: Dogfish]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

I put a question into the WDFW regarding the legality of hunting small game with an airgun, and I am too impatient to wait for their reply. smile

Does anyone here know if Air Rifles can be considered firearms for the purpose of hunting?

Edited by MartyMoose (08/17/11 02:11 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1049 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |