Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#537343 - 09/14/09 10:25 AM Fishermen's public image in the mass media
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
We're takin' a beating.
From the crap on the Skok to the Puyallup pink pugilists, the media is not out to do us any favors...

We need to be acutely aware of our image and Be Careful Out There!

We've got a lot to protect and a lot to fight for.

Fairly or un-fairly, The actions of a few make us all look bad at times.

Take a minute to point someone in the right direction. Be a coach, be a leader... If they tell you to take a hike, walk away and let them think...

Edited by TJN (09/14/09 10:27 AM)

#537360 - 09/14/09 11:50 AM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: TJN]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
As long as humans have this "It's MY fish" attitude, we'll continue to see fighting.

#537365 - 09/14/09 12:02 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Irie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I've never seen a reporter where I fish.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#537368 - 09/14/09 12:10 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Dogfish]
uglybugger Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: everett,wa
Nicely done Tom. thumbs

#537371 - 09/14/09 12:18 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: uglybugger]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
TJ -
An on point topic though IMHO it is not the media who is the villian here; rather it is us the recreational fishing community. We have allowed our fishing ethics to slip so far that for many of our anglers it is now a " right to instance success and limit catches" by any means. Our ethic is no longer "fish first".

Tight lines
Curt

#537373 - 09/14/09 12:22 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Smalma]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I agree with Curt...don't blame the media for reporting on something that any one of us can go out to the river and see with our own eyes...the lack of ethics shown by a lot of folks in our own community is appalling, and those with the most appalling behavior are the first to whine about commercial fishing, tribal fishing, sea lions, etc...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#537404 - 09/14/09 02:18 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Todd]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Like they say, it only takes a few rotten apples.

But the problem always seems to be, it's the 80% of the slobs out there that make the remaining 20% look bad. Hard to overcome a negative image with those kinds of odds.

Sg

#537409 - 09/14/09 02:31 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Salmo g.]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Lets send Parker out with his Zombie guns to "clean up"! smile

#537430 - 09/14/09 03:19 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Salmo g.]
SalmonPrincess Offline
Smolt

Loc: Tacoma
In the glass half empty society we live in, the negative PR always overshadows the good. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

I was on the Puyallup a couple weeks and a picked up trash as it floated by me. We left with one silver in the catch bag and handful of beer cans and debris stuffed in my pockets and waders. Can't say that the surrounding combat anglers joined in, but I'd like to think that I made a few think twice as to what they did with the trash. Just saying...

#537480 - 09/14/09 05:01 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: ]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Hankster, fishing ethics isn't the issue here. It's the tons of garbage they are leaving along the banks of the Poopyallup that is of concern. What a bunch of F'n slobs. But, it's like that almost everywhere.

Take a vacation to some remote Bahamian Island where there are very few humans around. The amount of garbage being dumped off the cruise ships and washed on shore is appaling. Every big storm just washes more garbage in the seas to be deposited on some other beach somewhere. Everything we let blow out of our boats and don't retrieve ends up somewhere.

Really it's ok though, someone else will pick it up.......:(

#537626 - 09/14/09 10:46 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: ]
MTElkchaser Offline
Fry

Probably not a better time to lead by example and sponsor a river cleanup and show the public we are not all d-bags.

#537658 - 09/14/09 11:59 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: MTElkchaser]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
I would guess that most of the people that participate in these discussions are going to carry with them some semblance of tact and ethics where ever they go. Of course there is that small faction that will disregard all else and feel that they alone are entitled to do as they wish and act accordingly.

Actions speak louder than words, I hope we all act accordingly.

Fsihy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#537674 - 09/15/09 12:42 AM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
I don't mean to come off blaming the media.

We're doing a pretty good job of shooting ourselves in the foot.

I mean, here we are in the midst of one of the better salmon seasons in nearly a decade and we celebrate by trashing the rivers and fighting over the resource.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir and I agree that most if not all on this board are not the problem.

So, we need to be the solution.

Educate the public.
Inform the new angler.
Advocate for the resource.

I think I just heard my soapbox crack... time to get off it...

Maybe I'm just bummed that today's Hawg Quest tuna trip got rough-water canceled....

#537690 - 09/15/09 01:55 AM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stam
..i.e. I won't pick on flyfishermen anymore wink .....

you know the rest.

Sure ya' won't. You stop picking on fly fishing and we'll all know that you been out in the back yard practicing your backcast and double haul.

Sg

#537699 - 09/15/09 02:34 AM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Salmo g.]
Happy Birthday Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Stam,
Head south this winter, I'll let you borrow a fly stick.

#538019 - 09/15/09 11:18 PM Re: Fishermen's public image in the mass media [Re: Twitch]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Nelly, Too bad about the tuna trip. We all have a right to complain as most of us that really fish have taken it upon ourselves to learn about the resource.How to take care of it and through that we have learned the intricacies of what is expected of us and how hard we fight for our resource. So it galls us all when we have a huge run of fish, only to have people come out of the woodwork and act like complete slobs.

Your right we need to;

Educate the public.
Inform the new angler.
Advocate for the resource.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |