Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#537056 - 09/12/09 08:13 PM kalama River hatchery kings toast
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
i'm about fed up with the managers who run the hatcheries. All the hatchery kings are being killed at the trap below modrow. they are only letting very few pass by. the last 3 weekends have been a total bust. in years past it was a way of stocking up on eggs.

it's very interesting that this is the 1st year that the kalama has fin clip only on kings. i thought this was odd, then it makes complete sense. how else will they be able to identify for a mass kill?

then last late september the upper hatchery claimed that "someone" had come onto the premisis and shut a water valve that killed a large amount of adult kings. ??? who comes onto a hatchery and closes a water valve? maybe a yellow bellied liberal...

as far as i can see this kill of hatch kings is well into it's 2nd year. i foresee two more years of a total kill then suddenly a all "wild" run a pure clean gened fish. thats sacassim by the way.

#537063 - 09/12/09 09:17 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Brewer]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Peculiar too that fin clipping kings was being done to provide additional fishing opportunities for sporties where no opportunity would otherwise exist....at least that's what we were fed.

Doesn't seem like much of an opportunity when they are being removed after barely entering the river.

On the other hand, are the upper and lower hatcheries struggling with egg-take this season? If so, I could see them removing the fish at the weir to ensure egg-take needs if they are concerned. This extreme measure would suggest something along those lines.

I'm with ya though. Back in the day when the Kalama was my regular summer/Fall destination, I actually liked the fall kings in the river because they pushed summer-runs out of their regular haunts and made them succeptable to sight fishing. Many was the time I'd be standing on a rock glassing a flat with Kings strewn about and the gray/blue shadow of summer runs finning amongst them. It took a precise cast to present to the summers but damn! was it fun!.....and productive.

#537110 - 09/13/09 12:49 AM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Eric]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
2500 fish back to the upper hatchery already I think that is plenty for egg take, every thursday wdfw puts out a hatchery escapment report, more on the kalama then barrier dam so far. I heard the trap was out last week, maybe those numbers were pulled out below the trap, who knows. Those kings are nasty anyway.

#537128 - 09/13/09 01:44 AM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Brewer]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Brewer....nice to have you back posting. beer

Been really boring.......BS is on death row. evil

- Albert Einstein.

#537198 - 09/13/09 01:10 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Sol Duc]
Brewer Offline

#537230 - 09/13/09 04:06 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Brewer]
Brewer Offline

kalama kings are not nasty fish. you can not judge a king on opearance. back in the 80s the kalama hatch system exprimented with breeding URBs with the tule strain. this created a quality fish, the king may have a tarnish to them but they cut red meated. i have opened hens in the upper river that had sweet eggs and desent meat quality. these fish are also great egg biters.

now there are still tule fish in the system. yes these are less than desirable.

after reading the pasted article it is obvious that the kalama hatchery kings will be ment for the "lower columbia river fishery" this smacks of what? for commercial use. the term is cloaked so that the word "commercial" is deleted.

#537317 - 09/14/09 01:41 AM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Brewer]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Yelo librals ate our degenarat fish. Learn to spell... expirment...

#537327 - 09/14/09 05:31 AM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Jake Dogfish]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

All hatchery fish MUST die. It's the only proper thing to do.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#537395 - 09/14/09 01:34 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: eyeFISH]
Brewer Offline

does anyone know of this Palmer guy? you know where he can be found please pm me.

#537413 - 09/14/09 02:42 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Brewer]
jackiepoo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place Washington
Eric I totally hear what you're saying about the sight fishing for those steelies. What I miss like a mofo is fly fishing the upper river. Good god the notion of heaven being on earth had me convinced some of those trips up in the holy water and all the area around the end of county road. Rockn the polarized glasses and perching up on the high boulders and spotting casting landmarks for when you were down crouched in the lower grass. A lucky cast here and there would produce some of the most memorable fishing adventures. As to the managers of the hatcheries they are major idiots. Cant't rememeber the dude's name but I used to work @ Prichards and he came in drunk and buligerent trying to buy beer before he "was launching @ camp kalama to go snag kings." I told em he was too intoxicated to purchase and he went on rant all pissed off etc. Same dude is well known for his aquatic pitch fork abilities. F**K him and the horse he rode in on.

#537445 - 09/14/09 03:53 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Brewer]
EnglishPete Offline
The Duke of Death

Loc: Upyerarseland
Originally Posted By: Brewer
does anyone know of this Palmer guy? you know where he can be found please pm me.

He plays for your american football team the Cincinnati Bengals - he's been pitchforking dead fish ever since his knee got blown out versus Pittsburgh in that playoff game a few years back.

What do Princess Diana and Pink Floyd have in common? Their biggest hit was the wall.

#537474 - 09/14/09 04:50 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: EnglishPete]
Brewer Offline

once again EP you show no class. jeez you suck!

heres a great idea! why don't we just run a 50 mile seine accross the the mouth of the columbia. we'll just pull all hatchery everythings and kill them. throw them over board, say the entire months of august and september? then we'll see how happy everyone is out at the bouy 10.

you sad bastards would raise a holy war fit if this happened!

all fresh chrome hatchery fish should die before the hit the coast line.

#537475 - 09/14/09 04:52 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Brewer]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I like the dude in the article complaining that the state is "playing God" by choosing to kill the hatchery fish...the irony is thick enough to cut with a ... a...pitchfork.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#537538 - 09/14/09 07:43 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: Todd]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
Eye fish and Todd, Its time to teach folks why hatchery fish need to die or you will never get very far with most of these guys. I have a real problem with giving up my fishing because fish don,t get that far up a river also. Needs to be some area where fishermen actually stand a chance of catching a fish. Does this all mean we are going to all be fishing in the salt only?

#537568 - 09/14/09 09:00 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: N W Panhandler]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: N W Panhandler

Does this all mean we are going to all be fishing in the salt only?

yup, add that to this,

http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=aug2809b

“Commercial boats could actually catch a lot more hatchery-reared salmon if we can find new ways to reduce mortalities of protected wild fish.”

if they get these new commercial methods refined enough they probly wont need any traps because the hatchery fish wont be there to catch the commercials will have already caught them, this could spread to willipa, grays harbor or even area 9 and 10, if people think it stinks to fish behind gillnets they aint seen anything yet.

#537570 - 09/14/09 09:01 PM Re: kalama River hatchery kings toast [Re: N W Panhandler]
Brewer Offline

PWP, personally i care what idoc or todd have to say about anything...

i enjoy catching kalama kings they have always been very reliable. come NFL preseason games kings were there to be caught.

40+ years of jamming hatchery kings into the system and cross breeding. the WDFG suddenly feels thier a threat.

COME ON PULL YOUR HEADS OUT!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1094 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |