Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#539605 - 09/21/09 02:53 PM Clearwater report
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I took a couple days off and drove over to the Clearwater River. What with the huge steelhead counts moving up the Columbia, I figured many would be headed there. A week ago the CW was running nearly 10 kcfs, but by the middle of last week it was down to around 3 kcfs, making it very approachable for a wading angler. I'm not sure what the overall effect on fishing was, but the river temperature increased from around 54 to 60 degrees F. That's still in the range for steelhead to be snappy. I rose 3 but only landed 1, which was a wild fish. Very nice, but I would have liked to find more.

Sg

#539691 - 09/21/09 07:39 PM Re: Clearwater report [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

From the stink hole upstream a ways above Lenore. Hadn't fished there in a long time, so had to go back and do some scouting. A couple experienced rods said they thought I was lucky to hit a fish up as far as Lenore, but who's to say? They get dip ins in the Deschutes all the way up to Pelton Dam, sometimes 1/3 of the entire run at that point is dip ins. According to boat guys with fish finders, the confluence is absolutely carpeted with thousands of steelhead. However, the hookup rate would suggest the fish are either scarce or not snappy. Maybe all the boats driving over them from dawn to dusk puts them off the bite. I don't know.

Sg

#539692 - 09/21/09 07:44 PM Re: Clearwater report [Re: Salmo g.]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Would the Snake have a better bite going now? Grand Ronde? Sure it is all heating up there

I fished the Clearwater a bit later and have done well.

Its all good with the scenary

#539746 - 09/21/09 09:38 PM Re: Clearwater report [Re: Coho]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
We looked for you on the D. You didnt' miss much there either. Monday (the day of my friends 17/25 report) was the last of the good times. White R. blew out Tues, finally came into shape Thurs, but fish still weren't on a very good bite. I think all told, drfitfishnw and I were 2/8 or something. Fished from just above the campground, to upper wagonblast. Talked to a guide friend of mine on day 2 (Bob Toman) and they had only landed 3 the day before, making me feel a little better...

#539814 - 09/22/09 12:53 AM Re: Clearwater report [Re: Twitch]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Snake water temp @ Anatone is appx 68 degrees. Not much going on there except Smallmouth Bass. My guess is that the Rhonde is probably pretty much the same.

#539949 - 09/22/09 02:12 PM Re: Clearwater report [Re: BrianL]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

With the Snake at 68, not many steelhead are moving up out of the Lower Granite pool. There have been a couple good days on the lower Ronde, but mostly barren water I heard. Even with the CW up from 54 to 60, it seems like the most attractive place for a steelhead, but it seems the fish would rather carpet the confluence with intermittant snappiness.

Twitch, I still may hit the D, but I've got to put in a hardwood floor sometime soon. This time of year is total time conflict. I think the D is sometimes a lot like the Ronde - pulsey. When they're in, it's every cast a coconut, and when they're not, you'd swear steelhead don't live in that river. Scratch fishing shouldn't be a natural part of Sept. - Oct. My bias is showing.

I got a set of panniers for my mtn bike. I'd kinda' like to see how it works loaded with fishing gear.

Sg

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |