THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#544722 - 10/09/09 01:57 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tribal [Re: Jerry Garcia]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
It would seem that if someone on the highway or a nearby property suspected poaching the tribal police wouldn't be the ones called.

eek2 Geeeeeeeeeeeeesh Jerry, that type of common sense requires thinking rofl I challenge anybody (Especially Mr McCollum) to find the phone number listing of that Tribe's LE/Game Enforcement LE in under a day or three rolleyes Especially anybody driving by on 101 with a cell phone. I wonder if Mr McCollum will be willing to produce any electronic communications records (cell, email, dispatcher, etc.) records of that bunch of asshats receivinmg a complaint???? I think not.

I guess the next step for us pissed off folks will be to determine that Tribe's Economic Interests (businesses) and boycott the crap outta them until they say they are very sorry and it won't even remotely happen again. The Pocket Book is a very harsh teacher folks.

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#544735 - 10/09/09 03:23 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tribal [Re: JohnQ]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Actually the officers involved direct numbers are listed on their web site and quite easy to find. Just sayin' In case anybody wanted to call them and ask them any questions. like "WHAT THE HELL DUDE!"

If they were concerned about a crime outside of their jurisdiction, why couldn't they have taken pictures, recorded license plate numbers, and reported it to the PROPER AUTHORITIES like you or I would have. Especially with a little kid involved! Really?! Did they think that dangerous, cop-shooting poachers were going to bring their toddler along and shoot an elk in plain site of the whole world? What idiots! I hope they and other LE learn a lesson from this.

#544869 - 10/10/09 12:50 AM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tribal [Re: OceanSun]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I served as a reserve county deputy sheriff here in Mason County for four years after my military service in later eighties. Even then, communication was good along the Canal up toward Triton Head. Contacts were always less than half an hour back before the newer, upgraded cellular coverage. 2cents

I'm concerned as a blackmouth fisher, towards the upper canal. Are the tribal law enforcement going to waste my time for close to two hours because I landed a legal fish come springtime???

#544938 - 10/10/09 05:00 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: ACT]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: ACT

And in the Peninsula Daily news Sgt Stamper of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office stated that the Tribal Officers "DO NOT HOLD LAW ENFORCEMENT CREDENTIALS " in Jefferson County. I repeat his words "DO NOT HOLD" law enforcement credentials in Jefferson County.

even if they did i dont understand how it could be legal, they had to renegotiate a treaty to give the tribal members the power and i thought that could only be done on a federal level ?

#544982 - 10/10/09 10:51 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: boater]
cheech Offline
Eyed Egg

Originally Posted By: boater
Originally Posted By: ACT

And in the Peninsula Daily news Sgt Stamper of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office stated that the Tribal Officers "DO NOT HOLD LAW ENFORCEMENT CREDENTIALS " in Jefferson County. I repeat his words "DO NOT HOLD" law enforcement credentials in Jefferson County.

even if they did i dont understand how it could be legal, they had to renegotiate a treaty to give the tribal members the power and i thought that could only be done on a federal level ?

shut up boater, you are an idiot

#545069 - 10/11/09 12:42 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: cheech]
FishBear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western Washington
Boys, boys...

...simmer down, eh?

George W. Bush

#545076 - 10/11/09 01:13 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: FishBear]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Per this Sunday Morning PDN, The Tribal asshat's thought those evil muzzle loading hunters were TRESPASSING eek2 Heaven forbid Trespassing eek2 Seems the Tribe and various Tribal Reps are just digging themselves deeper and deeper rofl If them Evil Muzzle Loading Hunters were Trespassing eek2 Yah thunk that within the 2 hours in question, one of those DipWads would've walked across the road and asked the Land Owner if those Evil Muzzle Loading Hunters eek2 were in FACT trespassing eek2 Or were they tooooooooooooooooooo Skeeeeerid of that 2 year old running around crying might jump them and beat them up rofl

I keep saying folks, grab them by the Economic Shorthairs, and their Hearts & Minds Will soon follow. moose

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#545671 - 10/13/09 04:18 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: JohnQ]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
Anyone heard any recent updates on this ???

#545678 - 10/13/09 04:32 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: fishhog]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

#545698 - 10/13/09 05:24 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: boater]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
Port Gamble S'Klallam Natural Resources Director Paul McCollum has said that his officers were acting properly.

McCollum has said the two officers were working as game agents under his department and not as tribal police.

someone help me understand. i always thought that the department of fish and game appointed game wardens not the port gamble s'kallam natural resource director.
so if i understand what mccollum is saying is that the tribe can appoint game wardens to act off the rez without an ok from anyone else.

#545699 - 10/13/09 05:34 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: larryb]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
It kind of sounds that way, doesn't it? I'll be interested reading the report from WDFW and Jefferson County SO when the investigation is completed.

#545702 - 10/13/09 05:37 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: JohnQ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: JohnQ
Per this Sunday Morning PDN, The Tribal asshat's thought those evil muzzle loading hunters were TRESPASSING eek2 Heaven forbid Trespassing eek2 Seems the Tribe and various Tribal Reps are just digging themselves deeper and deeper rofl If them Evil Muzzle Loading Hunters were Trespassing eek2 Yah thunk that within the 2 hours in question, one of those DipWads would've walked across the road and asked the Land Owner if those Evil Muzzle Loading Hunters eek2 were in FACT trespassing eek2 Or were they tooooooooooooooooooo Skeeeeerid of that 2 year old running around crying might jump them and beat them up rofl

I keep saying folks, grab them by the Economic Shorthairs, and their Hearts & Minds Will soon follow. moose

Do Game Agents do trespassing if there aren't any complaints?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#545783 - 10/13/09 09:21 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: larryb]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: larryb
Port Gamble S'Klallam Natural Resources Director Paul McCollum has said that his officers were acting properly.

McCollum has said the two officers were working as game agents under his department and not as tribal police.

someone help me understand. i always thought that the department of fish and game appointed game wardens not the port gamble s'kallam natural resource director.
so if i understand what mccollum is saying is that the tribe can appoint game wardens to act off the rez without an ok from anyone else.

Your a little confused my friend. WDFW officers work for the state, those are the people we call game wardens. Since tribes are considered their own government/nation they too have their own fish & wildlife enforcement officers, they police tribal members. WDFW enforce non-tribal members, and tribal members when they go outside of their hunting/fishing areas

#545926 - 10/14/09 11:05 AM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: bigman]
FishBear Offline
Returning Adult

I think we may discover, eventually, that the so-called "hunt" took place on private property... the owner of which had not given permission. In fact, the owner may hve expressly forbibben these people from tresspassing on her property.

When they wound up taking the elk on her property she called all the enforcement help she could reach, including Port Gamble S'Klallam. No one else showed up but them.

Not at all sure they should have taken 2 hours to sort it out but we may discover the answer to that problem as well.

I am not a hunter but just what about the conditions, that were so well captured in photos by the reporter, resemble a real "hunt" anyway? If anyone is familiar with this location it is a small piece of land between the highway and the shoreline of Hood Canal. These elk wil graze this patch of land several times a year. Every time they do a line of cars pulls over and the lookie-lou's and touristies all get out and a line of vehicles forms along the highway.

These animals essentially became trpaped between the growing human/vehicle wall and the shoreline. The phots showed several elk standing in saltwater, cowering on the edge of the area they had to move around in. Even after the "hunt" took place the animals were still pressed up against the shoreline and trying to get out of there... to no avail. The area they can move around in is probably about the size of a football field. This was the condition that existed. What about this resembles a fair hunt in anyone's mind?

No way does this get confused with what the officers did or didn't do... but what the hell were these guys doing "harvesting" wild game like it was a beef cow in the pasture?

George W. Bush

#545946 - 10/14/09 12:00 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: FishBear]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
The following paragraph was taken out of the newspaper article linked in one of the first posts on this thread.

"But then, Boling said, they were told they were in a "no-shooting" zone and perhaps "recklessly" shooting. The hunting party had received permission from the property owner, Boling said, and he'd been hunting there for years."

One person's hunt is another person's harvest. From what I've gathered this season is designed as a control "hunt" with restrictions on firearms allowed. It is not much different than the efforts to control the Sequim elk herd with limited license distribution and the state utilizing a "hunt master" to "guide" the "hunter" so that elk are harvested on specific properties where the landowner allows harvest.

Compared to a "canned" hunt inside a fence on a game farm, in this situation the elk could have moved. It appears, though, that this herd is habituated to human presence and doesn't move unless a person approaches inside the elk "comfort zone" as evidenced by the picture of the elk standing in the background.

#545954 - 10/14/09 12:30 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: FishBear]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: FishBear
but what the hell were these guys doing "harvesting" wild game like it was a beef cow in the pasture?

That's exactly what they were doing. It was legal, and while it may not fit your description of fair chase, it sounds as if it was a humane harvest. Which is the point of the controlled hunt.

There is also no description of the hunt leading up to the harvest itself. It is easy to infer from the pictures that the guy walked out there, pinned the elk on a peninsula and then shot the bull. But the reality could be much different. The elk could have been feeding in a normal pattern, the hunter used the wind, and available cover to get within range undetected by the animals, and then made his kill. Thus, the harvest was as humane and sporting as lots of other hunts that happen in our state. They just don't normally happen with audiences.

Guess what, I am going duck hunting on Saturday. We use decoys to trick the ducks into thinking they are landing with their friends, then we blast the sh!t out of them and laugh and hoot like slack jawed yokuls while they flap around on the water taking their last breaths, or wait to be executed by having their necks broken in our hands. I think that Elk died a much more humane death than what I just described, your idea of sporting or not, by the sounds of it the hunter did his job at the time of the kill.

#545960 - 10/14/09 12:44 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: Rocket Red]
FishBear Offline
Returning Adult

I don't think I saw any stuffed elk (decoys) in the photos.

"Shooters" used the shoreline, high tide and the civilian population with cars, trucks and RV's to corral the elk before they rolled in to make the kill. Nope, no fair hunt there, no sportsmanship, no nothing. Just pull the trigger and punch the tag. If this is what hunting has come to in WA state I am glad I am not involved.

There are more than one pieces of property involved... different owners. May have had permission to enter one piece of property... but were stricltly forbidden to be on the piece where the elk was when shot... based on what I was told. If this is true, and it will come out in the wash one way or another, it may just prove the old adage... about 1/2 of what you read in the "news" might actually be true.

George W. Bush

#545963 - 10/14/09 12:56 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: FishBear]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
If what you said is true, I agree it was just a harvest, not a sporting hunt. I wasn't there and there have not been many eyewitness reports of the actual kill that I have heard yet. The only thing I read is that the guys in the truck stayed back, and the shooter walked out there by himself to make the kill, then they drove out into the field. That kind of hunt I just described happens everywhere, all season long.

If they trespassed (which has not came out officially yet) then they are in the wrong, and should be treated as such.

#546176 - 10/14/09 08:16 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

from above article,

from the Port Gamble S'Klallam tribal page,

http://www.pgst.nsn.us/natural-resources/hunting

Tribal hunting laws are jointly enforced by Tribal police departments, Tribal fisheries enforcement officers, and Point No Point Treaty council enforcement officers.

rolleyes

#546186 - 10/14/09 08:57 PM Re: Do tribal police have a right to detain non-tr [Re: boater]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
They still have no authority over non-tribal hunters in any way, shape, or form.

Damage hunts put meat on the table. If you don't like them, don't apply.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |