THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#548936 - 10/25/09 12:04 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 ***** [Re: Salmo g.]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

It's been mentioned that the Colville Tribe is building a new salmon hatchery, on BPA's dime of course, and that the Tribe is testing selective fishing methods, beach seine, purse seine, and tangle net. Has anyone thought to ask why they are doing it

if they didnt do it they wouldn't get a new hatchery

#548939 - 10/25/09 12:25 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: boater]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I think there are a couple of reasons why the commercials, wherever they are, will need a larger share of the available fish if they go from gillnets to any kind of seine or reef net.

Money.

A gillnetter is an independent operator. If he catches 100 fish, he sells those 100, to his profit.

If he is made to go from gillnet to seine he will need another person to help. If all he catches is 100 fish, he loses money because he has to pay the crew.

If the intent is to keep a cap on the commercial harvest then it will be necessary to reduce the number of licenses until the new gear becomes profitable.

#548942 - 10/25/09 12:51 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: boater]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: boater
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

It's been mentioned that the Colville Tribe is building a new salmon hatchery, on BPA's dime of course, and that the Tribe is testing selective fishing methods, beach seine, purse seine, and tangle net. Has anyone thought to ask why they are doing it

if they didnt do it they wouldn't get a new hatchery

They're doing it for the same reason that WDFW is pushing purse seines in the LCR...and let's be abundantly obvious, it's not to save wild fish or to improve sportfishing...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#548943 - 10/25/09 12:52 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Carcassman]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

I think there are a couple of reasons why the commercials, wherever they are, will need a larger share of the available fish if they go from gillnets to any kind of seine or reef net.

the sole reason that the game departments are testng selective gear for the gillnetters is so they can catch and keep more hatchery fish, it says so right here and i didnt write it, this will effect spring and fall sportfisheries.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=aug2809b

“Commercial boats could actually catch a lot more hatchery-reared salmon if we can find new ways to reduce mortalities of protected wild fish.”

#548945 - 10/25/09 12:54 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: boater]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: boater
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

the sole reason that the game departments are testng selective gear for the gillnetters is so they can catch and keep more hatchery fish, it says so right here and i didnt write it, this will effect spring and fall sportfisheries.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=aug2809b

&#147;Commercial boats could actually catch a lot more hatchery-reared salmon if we can find new ways to reduce mortalities of protected wild fish.&#148;

That point is so obvious that I wonder why anyone would even question it...I mean, look around...that's exactly what's about to happen, and in many bad, bad ways...

Fish on...

Todd

#548946 - 10/25/09 12:59 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

can the gillnetters purse sein out of the boats they currently have? what kind of mods would need to made and how much would it cost?

#548948 - 10/25/09 01:12 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: HOOKUP]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: HOOKUP
can the gillnetters purse sein out of the boats they currently have? what kind of mods would need to made and how much would it cost?

if you can find that podcast with phil anderson on kjr he mentions "getting" funding to change them over

#548961 - 10/25/09 01:49 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: CCA IS DREAMIN
I'm a full-time guide

Signed,

NOT A IDIOT

doh

#548967 - 10/25/09 01:59 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: CCA IS DREAMIN
I can't handle it anymore, I've been reading this for MONTHS as well as other CCA GARBAGE!!!! I'm a full-time guide that is sick of this non-sense...

ATTENTION ATTENTION.......

Can anyone here please take Gary Loomis's Nuts out of their mouths....

That is: LB, AUNTY, SALMON BAKE and all you other horse's asses that think putting seine nets in the Lower CR will help the overall fishing for Sportsmans... I'm here to SAY that you are pissing up a rope and you'll do nothing but give back what we've all worked hard for, killing our hatchery Spring CHINOOK.... Sure, let's make the commercials go to a more selective method. Let's make them be more selective than sportsfisherman....

Hello - GIVE ME 30,000 members and we can eliminate the netters? Remember you idiots? Quote from Gary Loomis himself...

You are eliminating nothing more than the sportsmans catch.. CCA is chasing it's tail. CCA is nothing more than a bunch of sportsman who think they have a clue............... You've duped people into giving their $25 which goes no where other than the mother CCA, you've fundraised a fair amount of change and now you're dreaming of what could be????

How about you slow down a bit... Understand WTF you are doing then make an EDUCATED decision.

Back off a bit, before you give everything back that we've worked so hard to get.......

Signed,

NOT A IDIOT ASS CCA MEMBER

If I was a netter, Thanks again!!

Wow, as if you've been to the CCA meetings, I attended one meeting and was abolished by the lies and bullshiat that I heard...... But for the average beginner sportsman, heck it all sounds GREAT!!

Give me 30,000 members and we'll eliminate the netters..... rofl

Keep signing up folks, YOU are nothing more than being hipnotized by a Jehovah Witness Cult and giving you're VALUABLE Springers back to the anti-christ, the netters themselves.............

I'll be inlined to protest the idiocracy myself!!

Keith help

#548968 - 10/25/09 02:02 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: fish4brains]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

As in-eloquently as it may have been delivered, he's absolutely right.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. For those who think the commercials are looking at stuff like this and laughing...you're right, they are...and the reason they are is that the one organization we have right now with thousands of members is giving it to them, on a sliver platter...and it's not a surprise...take five minutes to google up "Big Energy" and "CCA" and "lobbyist"...the $hit I was warning you all about two years ago is coming to fruition...

#548984 - 10/25/09 02:35 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Todd
As in-eloquently as it may have been delivered, he's absolutely right.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. For those who think the commercials are looking at stuff like this and laughing...you're right, they are...and the reason they are is that the one organization we have right now with thousands of members is giving it to them, on a sliver platter...and it's not a surprise...take five minutes to google up "Big Energy" and "CCA" and "lobbyist"...the $hit I was warning you all about two years ago is coming to fruition...

Oh you mean the big energy that's been saying for years now on the CR "it's all about harvest"
It was a load of crap then, just like it's a load of crap now.
The folks that said that are defending the dams that kill 80% of the CR's potential run populations.

#548987 - 10/25/09 02:41 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Illahee]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Yes.

Fish on...

Todd

#548989 - 10/25/09 02:48 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Well well isn't this a fine kettle of fish, sorta speak.
Energy producing special interests have found a way to trick sportfishers into screwing themselves.

#548990 - 10/25/09 02:54 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Illahee]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

They didn't have to trick 'em...they just funded 'em.

Fish on...

Todd

#549029 - 10/25/09 02:08 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water

BPA makes payment to U.S. Treasury
U.S. taxpayers get return on their investment in NW hydro system
Portland, Ore. - Despite a poor economic year, the Bonneville Power Administration has met all of its financial obligations, including those to U.S. taxpayers. BPA has paid $845.1 million in full and on time to the U.S. Treasury for fiscal year 2009, which ended Sept. 30. The payment represents principal and interest on the federal investment in the region’s dams, transmission system, fish and wildlife projects and other capital projects of the Federal Columbia River Power System

BPA Administrator Steve Wright credited BPA staff and its customers with helping the agency build the financial stability in previous years that helped the agency weather a tough financial year due to low water and poor economic conditions.

“We were able to make the payment because we’ve rebuilt our financial reserves following the days of the West Coast energy crisis of 2000-2001. Solid reserves allow us to meet our obligations to U.S. taxpayers when a bad year comes along. Excellent collaborative work by our staff and customers helped make this happen,” Wright said.

The agency’s payment to Treasury included $432 million in principal and $366.8 million in interest. BPA also paid $46.3 million in other obligations, including $32.7 million to ensure that ratepayers fully fund post-retirement benefit programs for BPA employees.

BPA is a not-for-profit federal electric utility that operates a high-voltage transmission grid comprising more than 15,000 miles of lines and associated substations in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. It also markets more than a third of the electricity consumed in the Pacific Northwest. The power is produced at 31 federal dams operated by the U.S. Corps of Engineers and Bureau of Reclamation and one nuclear plant in the Northwest and is sold to more than 140 Northwest utilities. BPA purchases power from seven wind projects and has more than 2,200 megawatts of wind interconnected to its transmission system.

###

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and the one thing they have is alot of funds..

There's a sucker born every minute

#549034 - 10/25/09 02:23 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: SBD]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The Columbia Basin thus far has put the equivalent of 2 Bonneville Dams on line using wind power, that number will double in two years.
BPA is frantically building new transmission line to handle this huge increase in alternative energy.
So the idea that fish need to take a back seat to power production really isn't as relevant as it once was.
And the hand wringing over how we can replace the 5% power production from the four lower Snake River dams just seem that critical given the new clean energy now coming on line.

#549058 - 10/25/09 03:53 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Illahee]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I read where those wind turbines whack a lot of birds. Better start building some bird hatcheries. smile

I couldn't see any pertinent articles using that Google search Todd posted. Could someone post a link to the article please?

#549064 - 10/25/09 04:06 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Keta]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Do a search on the CCA's lobbyists, the firm they work for, and who their clients are...pay special attention the aluminum companies, oil companies, and the "Citizens for a Sound Economy"...there aren't less fish friendly groups out there than the groups that Heath Heikkila, Matthew Paxton, and their lobbying firm Ball Janik, work for.

Offshore drillers who want to stop all others from killing fish...so they can continue to do so unabated, just for starters.

There's a reason that no matter what you keep hearing about "we at the local chapters decide what we're going to do" that you will never...ever...hear a bad word said about a dam coming out of the national CCA...or an offshore drilling rig, or an aluminum company.

They represent commercial fishing organizations, aluminum companies, industrial farming groups, logging and timber companies, developers, PUD's, cities and counties, oil companies, energy groups and companies...and the CCA.

Fish on...

Todd

#549069 - 10/25/09 04:40 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

You are so full of sh!t todd. You lost this debate long ago and continue to do so over and over again. Keep up the good work, you never presented a plan that works like every one has asked from you. Bunch of ***** on here now, go get a life doughball!

#549070 - 10/25/09 04:45 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: salmon bake]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

And salmon baked shows once again how smart he is...which isn't very.

Typical refuge of the weakminded...attack the messenger and ignore the message.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FISH'N BRASS, jomat, Rollo, Venga, Warlock49766
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 199 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |