THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#549726 - 10/27/09 05:05 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI ***** [Re: kevin lund]
ospreysteelhead Offline
Fry

Loc: steelhead country
ALOT of bycatch of Alaska Kings in the pollack fishery up there right now. definitely not the only reason returns are down but its a factor.

Also, if you think ocean conditions are bad now wait until climate change and ocean acidification dramatically reduce productivity in 30 years. Then we'll be wishing for the good old days of 2009. Thats why its so important that we control what factors we can such as hatchery impacts, freshwater habitat and harvest.

Edited by ospreysteelhead (10/27/09 05:11 PM)

#549729 - 10/27/09 05:08 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: The Moderator]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: parker
Originally Posted By: kevin lund
The time that fall kings spend in any river habitat is minimal. Therefore they are effected less by the river habitat than a steelhead or coho, which may use the river for as much as 18 months.

How many hours, days, months, weeks, years, does a salmonid EGG spend in the ocean???

If the habitat is degraded enough as to where the survivability fails at the egg stage, what does that leave you with?

Doesn't really matter now if you have THE BEST ocean conditions EVER - if all those fish are failing to make new fish because the habitat is messed up, or getting messed up.

Eventually, the habitat loss will catch up to the numbers.

Or, keep the wool over you eyes and enjoy the fish now and in your lifetime, as your kid(s) can kiss them goodbye.

Originally Posted By: willametteriveroutlaw
Its the Ocean *now*, Stupid.

Fixed that statement for you.

No you didn't fix it for me. Here is the problem, everyone is looking for that perfect answer to fix salmon stocks. There isn't one, all factors are important. Looking at the historical data, Ocean conditions are the driving factor in salmon returns, habitat is a driving factor in maintaining some sort of population base. No habitat = no returns, marginal-to excellent habitat, ocean conditions dictate returns.

#549733 - 10/27/09 05:10 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: willametteriveroutlaw
Here is the problem, everyone is looking for that perfect answer to fix salmon stocks. There isn't one, all factors are important. Looking at the historical data, Ocean conditions are the driving factor in salmon returns, habitat is a driving factor in maintaining some sort of population base. No habitat = no returns, marginal-to excellent habitat, ocean conditions dictate returns.

I kinda thought that is what I was implying by the fix. I think we're on the same page......

#549734 - 10/27/09 05:11 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: The Moderator]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: parker

Ah, ignorance is bliss.

Climate Change isn't real and I should have voted for Sarah Palin and that other old dude she was running with.

What was his name again? You'd know him, he was white.

Thats right, the Messiah is kicking ass and taking numbers with regards to saving the salmon... Oh wait, he just signed on with the previous administrations bullsh!t plan.

#549735 - 10/27/09 05:12 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: ]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Loc: gales creek, or
We have all of those things here in Oregon and Washington too Jake. Yet we have fall chinook returns to the Tillamook basin that marvel any. On good ocean conditions of course.

I'm not saying that habitat is not important. What I am saying is that habitat didn't take the runs out of of rivers that don't have habitat issuues.

If the Siletz was the only river in Oregon that was failing to get fish back into it, and every other river was doing good, then you could say that is a "river" problem. But............

Every river in the NW region that has Coho is doing great, yet the kings are bad(for the most part). So is the king habitat that bad? Or is the coho habitat that good?

Where did all the spring and fall chinook jacks come from? There are more over Bonny this year than ever in the history of the dam. Can you thank the improved habitat for that? God i hope not!

Did those smolts have such great food in the Ocean that they grew fast and healthy? you bet! Did they get to the Ocean in 2006 to find bath water? Not this time. They had all the stars alligned and got a burst of the best ocean conditions in years.

I want to know one thing. If our chinook runs turn 180 degrees, like I think will happen in 2010. Will all of you be giving credit to a healthy habitat?

the only thing that has varried so much in the last ten years for a salmon is the Ocean in which it grows. the habitat is very close to the same as it has been for 50 years, maybe even better now that they realized the importance of trees in the river.
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#549736 - 10/27/09 05:15 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

What I am saying is that habitat didn't take the runs out of of rivers that don't have habitat issuues.

I'm not too sure anyone is disagreeing with that, as much as just having fun yanking your chain.

There is and always will be dramatic oceanic cycles, varying from good to bad.

We are in (or coming out of) bad and in to good.

We should see run sizes increase. I don't think anyone doubts that. I will be shocked if we don't start seeing increased run sized due to increased favorable oceanic conditions.

Look at the HUGE jack count on the Columbia? One of the main hypothesis of why a jack would return early is because of good ocean conditions. If that's true, we should see an ass-pot of adult springers next spring on the Columbia.

Not too sure how this part of the thread got started. I thought we were talking about broodstocking on the Oregon rivers.

Granted we are not oceanographers, but what I'm interested to know more if is the how/why our oceans changed so much recently. Is/was it just a cyclic event (yes, to a lot of degree), but is or was there a climate change issue at work here?

I don't study oceans, so I don't really know. I'm tending to lean towards a natural oceanic cycle at this point and not the Al Gorefearmongering Climate Change idea. I'd think that would be more gradual......

#549738 - 10/27/09 05:21 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Salmon/steelhead runs go up and down lots. From one extreme to the other. lets look at the habitat. Does it go up and down in a trend that follows this? I don't see it.

Does the health of the Ocean and the size of a fish return have anything to do with one another.

It seems pretty clear that in 2001-2004 we had some great returns of fish all accross the region from California to Alaska. Was that in part due to the good habitat those fish were in each river. NOT!
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#549741 - 10/27/09 05:29 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The real issue is a rivers carrying capacity, which is a cumulative sum of all the life history habitat, water quality, stream complexity, abundance of large woody debris, overwintering back channel alcove habitat, and estuary habitat.
When any one or a combination of these factors are degraded, then the overall carrying capacity goes down.

#549745 - 10/27/09 05:42 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: ]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Jake,

This is only one example, but the little north fork of the Wilson flows in at mills bridge. You should remember where that is, as we fished just above the bridge for steelhead two years ago. Anyway, the little river or creek has a smolt trap that counts smolt that outmigrate the stream. The numbers are staggering. It appears the adult fish are doing their part in making the little ones. You tell me what the next part to eliminate is.........maybe the Ocean.

here ya go.
http://nrimp.dfw.state.or.us/CRL/Reports/FinPro/tbnep99-3.pdf

Keep in mind this little trib put out 1.2million fall chinook smolts on it's own in 1998. it is only one of many tribs that get fall fish from the wilson. There is data to shows that the river are putting out tons of smolt. Just look at how many the birds are eating in the Columbia.
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#549746 - 10/27/09 05:48 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Illahee]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Yeah, I'll buy that. What a crock of crap!

Carring capacity?

These rivers around here are nowhere near their historical carring capacity. maybe that is due to habitat?

How many fish can you pile in a ditch? Look at the Trask and tell me we are at our limit of carring capacity. Talk with people who have fished in the 50's and 60's who can tell you about what was here.
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#549751 - 10/27/09 05:51 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
We have all of those things here in Oregon and Washington too Jake. Yet we have fall chinook returns to the Tillamook basin that marvel any. On good ocean conditions of course.

I'm not saying that habitat is not important. What I am saying is that habitat didn't take the runs out of of rivers that don't have habitat issuues.

If the Siletz was the only river in Oregon that was failing to get fish back into it, and every other river was doing good, then you could say that is a "river" problem. But............

Every river in the NW region that has Coho is doing great, yet the kings are bad(for the most part). So is the king habitat that bad? Or is the coho habitat that good?

Where did all the spring and fall chinook jacks come from? There are more over Bonny this year than ever in the history of the dam. Can you thank the improved habitat for that? God i hope not!

Did those smolts have such great food in the Ocean that they grew fast and healthy? you bet! Did they get to the Ocean in 2006 to find bath water? Not this time. They had all the stars alligned and got a burst of the best ocean conditions in years.

I want to know one thing. If our chinook runs turn 180 degrees, like I think will happen in 2010. Will all of you be giving credit to a healthy habitat?

the only thing that has varried so much in the last ten years for a salmon is the Ocean in which it grows. the habitat is very close to the same as it has been for 50 years, maybe even better now that they realized the importance of trees in the river.

For the most part I agree here, we'll see some huge runs of salmon in 2010.......... The writing is on the wall.......

Keith thumbs

#549755 - 10/27/09 05:55 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Jake,

This is only one example, but the little north fork of the Wilson flows in at mills bridge. You should remember where that is, as we fished just above the bridge for steelhead two years ago. Anyway, the little river or creek has a smolt trap that counts smolt that outmigrate the stream. The numbers are staggering. It appears the adult fish are doing their part in making the little ones. You tell me what the next part to eliminate is.........maybe the Ocean.

here ya go.
http://nrimp.dfw.state.or.us/CRL/Reports/FinPro/tbnep99-3.pdf

Keep in mind this little trib put out 1.2million fall chinook smolts on it's own in 1998. it is only one of many tribs that get fall fish from the wilson. There is data to shows that the river are putting out tons of smolt. Just look at how many the birds are eating in the Columbia.

So the smolt migrate into the mainstem Wilson, then turn down river, where they encounter rip rapping, dikes and stabilized stream banks, the riparian zone from Mills Bridge to the mouth is nonexistent, now the smolt enter the estuary where there is zero cover, avian predators are now feasting on the smolt because all the structure has been removed from the bay.
I think the problem is most folks don't really know anything about what habitat salmonics need to thrive, and your a classic example.
You make your living from the resource, yet you don't even know the basic habitat requirements for a healthy stock.

#549757 - 10/27/09 05:57 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Wild steel appear in good numbers in december and still enter my favorite river into late april. Since the removal of big creek hatchery fish ( which are early returners like chambers creek junk stock) the early wild fish numbers have increased steadily. With wild broodstock programs, less smolts are planted than generic stocks and a much higher return rate occurs. Less smolts are needed to have good returns. So saying generic stocks are better because they don't return at the same time is a hoax. Also if less hatchery smolts need to be planted to get a decent return, the less the competion between hatchery and wild smolts for food and habitat in stream. Planting 50k wild broodstock smolt is far less impactful than planting 180k junk generic, poor returning chambers, big creek, alsea etc.. Trash strains. The wilson r. Program has it right. Come fish it if you don't buy it.

#549758 - 10/27/09 05:58 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
The Wookie Offline
Eyed Egg

The real impact is created by the continued use of the hatchery stock in the recovery of the wild fish while using the wild fish for the hatchery stock. Not confusing at all to see why ODFW is trying to figure out what happened to their fish or should we say ours.

#549761 - 10/27/09 05:59 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: ]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Magically return a river's habitat to where it was before we showed up and your going to see better returns even with continued harvest and the affects of ocean conditions.

This is present everyday in many places in BC and Alaska. So why are the runs of chinook in the tank in places like the Karluk, or the Togiak, or the Good News, how about the Arolik. These rivers have 0 habitat change in the last 100 years. Do you mind explaining how these rivers chinook returns have been hammered by poor habitat?
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#549764 - 10/27/09 06:04 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Illahee]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Freespool,

You are correct in that the Tillamook system has poor estuary habitat. Fall chinook don't spend much time in the bay or the river.
In 2004 and 2005 we had as good of runs of chinook as you could ask for. I saw incredible fishing from Alaska to BC even in to the Klamath region in Cal. How do you explain that. Freak of nature? Habitat? Ocean?
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#549771 - 10/27/09 06:10 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: kevin lund]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

You'd have to look at 20 or 30 years of population numbers to ascertain that they are indeed tanking, and not just reflecting the ocean conditions that are now poor.

#549772 - 10/27/09 06:11 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Illahee]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: freespool
You'd have to look at 20 or 30 years of population numbers to ascertain that they are indeed tanking, and not just reflecting the ocean conditions that are now poor.

Mark my word....

All this bickering will be gone next year with what's in store... Chinook counts should be through the roof with most rivers up and down the Coast and Columbia, more than just the jack counts say so...

If we can just keep the seine nets from going into the CR, we'd have it whooped....

Keith thumbs

#549779 - 10/27/09 06:24 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

One big-ass glacier to cover all of Alaska, Canada, and Washington......

That would fix the habitat problems...eventually...when the ice melted.....

IceAges. The end-all cure to our fish issues. thumbs

#549781 - 10/27/09 06:27 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: stlhdr1]
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Extreme Left of Center
Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Originally Posted By: freespool

Mark my word....

All this bickering will be gone next year with what's in store... Chinook counts should be through the roof with most rivers up and down the Coast and Columbia, more than just the jack counts say so...

If we can just keep the seine nets from going into the CR, we'd have it whooped....

Keith thumbs

Don't Bogart that joint my friend...pass it over to me

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 945 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |