LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#550281 - 10/28/09 10:51 PM Who collects old fishing lures?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I have a couple of wooden flatfish...one is a U0 and the other is an F3 or 4. The large one is a kind of perch color and the small one is black with dots. I could be more specific, but I don't feel like digging them out to take a pic or describe them more accurately.
I ran across them in my Dad's very old tackle box and would like someone who appreciates the old stuff to enjoy them. The price is up to the receiver.....will consider damn near anything in trade as well. The little one is in pretty good shape, the large one is missing the belly gang trebles and eye.

#550288 - 10/28/09 11:02 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

pm sent.

- Albert Einstein.

#550424 - 10/29/09 10:05 AM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Sol Duc]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
PM Sent

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#550439 - 10/29/09 11:01 AM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Phoenix77]
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Can I jump in here too? I recently got 4 old boxes from the 50's, maybe 60's full of junk. Did end up with about 30 of the old salmon plugs, Mac's, Wallace. I've looked at some of the collector sites but don't really know where to start. Kind of looking for suggestions.

#550442 - 10/29/09 11:31 AM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
The Mac's have value if they are in minty good condition. (not a ton, guys still fish them). The white/red head are the most common/hence have the least value. I have some NIB sitting here.

On the Mac's the colors that are still fished have the most value. They use them at one of our local lakes to catch one of the rarer types of trout.

Typically I use ebay for value when concidering items for purchace. Wallace Highliners are worth a few bucks. It pretty crazy all of the little nuances, that will either add, or detract from a lures value.

(odd ball colors, in very good condition= value you know $$$$$$$)

Most collecters will look past a light rub if they want the lure.

I sell pretty regulary on ebay, have been doing so for years.

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#550507 - 10/29/09 01:51 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Jason Y]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Very few Salmon plugs are worth a lot of money. There are some smaller companies that can bring quite a bit. The Bass plugs are a different story, they can be worth a lot in some cases.

There is a lot more demand for bass plugs, because they are found in every state. Most the Salmon plug collectors are generally from a few western states and parts of Canada.

I started collecting about 20 years ago. I once found a old coffee can full of tangled bass plugs at the Midway swap meet for 10.00 dollars. It turns out that one of the plugs in there ( Heddon 300 suface lure ) 1906, that was custom odered with two belly weights was one of a few ever found. I ended up selling it to a Doctor in FL for 5k dollars.

That was my best find ever..but have had a few other sweet ones.

- Albert Einstein.

#550544 - 10/29/09 03:10 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Sol Duc]
iNofish Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Angeles Washington
Put 'em on Ebay, you might be surprised what you can get.

#550561 - 10/29/09 03:53 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Sol Duc]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
Very few Salmon plugs are worth a lot of money. There are some smaller companies that can bring quite a bit. The Bass plugs are a different story, they can be worth a lot in some cases.

There is a lot more demand for bass plugs, because they are found in every state. Most the Salmon plug collectors are generally from a few western states and parts of Canada.

I started collecting about 20 years ago. I once found a old coffee can full of tangled bass plugs at the Midway swap meet for 10.00 dollars. It turns out that one of the plugs in there ( Heddon 300 suface lure ) 1906, that was custom odered with two belly weights was one of a few ever found. I ended up selling it to a Doctor in FL for 5k dollars.

That was my best find ever..but have had a few other sweet ones.

Wow that is cool! I bet he was disappointed when he realized he paid $5k for a fishing lure. Maybe not initially, but at some point.

#550563 - 10/29/09 03:54 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Sol Duc]
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
Sol Duc, Did I read that right? $5,000 on a $10 investment?
How cool is that!
I received a tackle box from a former neighbor a few years ago with a bunch of old plugs and spinners that were going in the trash if I didn't want them. I told him that I could probably find some sort of use for them. There was also 3 Penn 109s and a another reel that I can't remember the name. ( Salt Water City?)One of the most interesting thing in the box was a buisness card. It was the "C-Q Cafe" in Seiku. The phone number was 3 digits.
I love looking through old tackle!
I'm sure some of you guys have seen the Les Davis cut plug plug.
I've never fished it though.

#550575 - 10/29/09 04:21 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: charr]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
I have a bunch of gear from the early 1900's, passed on from my great grandfather. Probably at least 100 old hand made wood lures probably 50/50 between bass and salmon plugs. A couple old creels in good shape, and lots of bamboo fly and cast rods. The coolest to me is a couple meatline rods made out of bamboo with old reels and single strand lead line. Good idea about ebay I'am gonna check into it, thanks guys.

#550580 - 10/29/09 04:38 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: stlhdr42]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
NIB seems to get the most money but I enjoy the gear that came to me from family and left as it had been fished - to include wire leaders looped at the plug. Also when you have known the manufacturer. For the trivia buff Ernie Hanson (Hanson Salmon plugs) was an Edmonds carpenter who produced plugs in his garage. Upon retirement he built Spectacle Lake Resort and ran it for many years. A trip there was our Memorial Day event for many years. He and wife Clara are buried in Palmer.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#550592 - 10/29/09 05:17 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: charr]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

It was a rainy Saturday and was just getting ready to leave for the day and decided to look at one more spot on my way out...I didn't notice until later that day when I untangled the lures and found this Heddon in the middle of the nest. thumbs

- Albert Einstein.

#550604 - 10/29/09 05:47 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Sol Duc]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
I have 5 old lures. I have no clue as to value. Pretty beat up condish. One is a old, 8", REBEL floater (plastic). I know one is a HEDON for sure, cant quite make the model name because the hooks cover part of it(NTVAM) is what I can make out. Two are old home made jobs I think one of the lips say CHIFFONIER , which is furniture, the other has no nomeclature. The last has writing but I cant make out what it says. Starts with D and has boy at the end.

j7 2012

#550616 - 10/29/09 06:06 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Sol Duc]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
Originally Posted By: Sol Duc

Absolutely correct! I have been collecting salmon tackle for many years and I'll be the first to say there's not many people in it for the money! Those that are already have a sizeable incomes coming in and do it for a few bucks here and there... Collecting is a passion and hobby. No one is going to get rich collecting salmon plugs- perhaps after you're long gone.

Everything has a value. First the seller must have a item at a price that the buyer wants and is willing to pay. If a buyer wants the item bad enough, chances are they buy. Just because something is old doesn't mean it is worth something. Some items have heart-felt value that were inherited and therefore priceless even though it might be worth $5.00. Salmon plugs are no different.

Generally, eBay is not a good source for estimating a price on salmon plugs. Half the folks on there have no clue what they are selling or bidding on. Others do and adjust their prices accordingly to maximize profits, make up for PayPal, shipping, etc. I have seen a lot of very rediculous bids ($100-plus) on plugs that wouldn't fetch $20 at a NFLCC meeting and I have snaked a few at bottom dollar. Prime example of a rediculous bid was on a Mason plug that was worth at the time approx $150.00. This plug was sold for over $800! The highest bid I have seen for a bass plug on eBay was over $37,000- not worth a quarter of the final bid. Just goes to show you if someone wants it bad enough... Also avoid antique shops although you can find some good buys occasionally.

Mac's Squid... 48 different colors were available. Made in Tacoma and Gig Harbor by school teacher Floyd Tucker. Believe it or not, they not that valuable. Unless... you have one in a green box (the first box color). The common box color most are accustomed to seeing is white with blue and red lettering. Later switched to a cellophane pane to cut cost in the late 70's until mid 80's when they were quit being made. Yes, us old timers still fish a #15 Point Special (white body red shovel) on occasion. The Point Special received it's name from the popularity of it's use in the Point Defiance area. The green box is worth more than plugs.. Should be in the neighborhood of $25 TO $40. Plugs will fetch $7 to $15 each in mint condition. I attempted to purchase the mold for these plugs in 1998, but to no avail...

Rarity, condition, color, box, manufacturer, unique, etc., will all play a part in how much a lure is going to fetch.

Send me some pix... or take them to a collector. I haven't met a unfriendly one yet. You'll get a friendly free estimate, possibly a little history or sea story, cup of coffee, or maybe even they'll take it off your hands.

Here's just a few of my favorite plugs from my collection..

Nothing special... box is a little worn, but plug is beautiful and MINT

Neon Mickey.. That is mercury in the bulb. Designed to flash underwater.

Shoff Socko King: Somehwat rare, unique metal lip, correct box

Krilich Killer: Made by Ned Krilich out of his home in North Tacoma. Ned sold quite a few of these from his boat at Point Defiance. Note associated paperwork.

Alaskan: Unique hook hangers. Hollow metal plug that came in solid chrome, brass, and copper. Someone at the factory plugged a chrome head in to a brass body - rare find.

My favorite. A 7-inch Canadian made Pallister signed by the man himself. I am told that less than 10 plugs were signed.

Collecting is a hoot! You'll meet a lot of great folks that share the same passion. Man caves are perfect for displaying or decorating. In fact I was just adding stuff the wall when the post popped up.

Edited by Capt Downriggin' (10/29/09 06:08 PM)

#550628 - 10/29/09 06:17 PM Re: Who collects old fishing lures? [Re: Capt Downriggin']
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

You're Shoff box is worth more than the plug itself, which is the case many times. Capt...I once owned the only known wood "Alaskan" salmon plug..as you know their known for the chrome and Brass plated ones.

- Albert Einstein.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |