THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#556261 - 11/16/09 06:21 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: The Moderator]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Parker, I think ol Moonshine has a spoon just for you. It's called the "Flounder Pounder".

#556262 - 11/16/09 06:25 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: Captain Q]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Damn.

The name alone is giving me the creeps!

#556327 - 11/16/09 09:57 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: The Moderator]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Good on ya Gilly for the Moonshine plug from parts east. I have a bunch of those but haven't fished em much out here in the Sound. Have to dust em off. Thanks for the idea,

fb

#556402 - 11/17/09 02:08 AM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: fishbadger]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
KK and Parker, CoFounders of Team Flounder Pounder

#556415 - 11/17/09 03:37 AM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: summerrun]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Quote:
KK and Parker, CoFounders of Team Flounder Pounder

Too Fn funny. I cant wait until the shirts come out.
I'll take one of those nice hoodies in 4X please !!!

THE HORDE RULES

#556444 - 11/17/09 11:28 AM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: Achewter]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Team Flounder Pounder.

Bugger.

That one is gonna stick around for a while.

The shirts/hoodies will come out ONLY if I can get sponsorship from Silver Horde......

Anyone care to draw up a Sol-quality logo for Team Flounder Pounder?

laugh

#556448 - 11/17/09 11:42 AM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: The Moderator]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Ill take an XL...back on topic a bit although I love herring I have fished the Silver Horde gear for many years and I dont know that you can beat the violent hit of a big king on a plug. Plus the fight is spectacular with no flasher dragging away

#556482 - 11/17/09 01:58 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: summerrun]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Summerrun,

I still don't have confidence fishing tomics/plugs in PS... I'm not at all convinced I know how to rig them for good action... Gilly pointed me at the tomic website a while back which has lots of ideas, but I still don't know what the actuion is supposed to look like when things are tuned up right...

So flashers & Spoons/hoochies for me until I get that figured out -- if anyone knows of any good videos showing the plugs, properly tuned, swimming nicely, I'd be super grateful...

#556496 - 11/17/09 02:36 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: IrishRogue]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

If you are gonna run a plug IR, you gotta start from scratch and do it right the first time.

IE, widdle down a balsa plug and make your own j-plug from hand. Next, you gotta use a row boat (no motors) and row around outside of Shilshole or Edmonds and hook and land a 20+ pounder (or is that FLOUNDER?) all by yourself. No help is allowed.

Once you do that, you will be a member of Team Flounder Pounder! Hell, pull that one off and I'll make you the freaking Vice President of the Club! laugh

#556499 - 11/17/09 02:54 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: The Moderator]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
How about a plug flasher ? evil

Since I feel like giving a few secrets away today....

Remove the tow bar from a Tomic. Slide the mainline through the top hole, a 5mm bead, and attach to a barrell swivel. Next tie on 30# FC leader and attach spoon 24 to 30 inches back.

The plug moves all over the place and puts some powerful vibrations out.. The spoon follows in tow.. Deadly!! evil

The question that probably popped up... Do the fish hit the plug? Never! They always hit the trailing spoon or hoochie. I have tried attaching a leader off the bend of the hook on the plug and have never- not once - ever caught a fish on the plug in this fashion so I have discarded the notion of having a second hook.

For winter fishing I use a 5-inch tubby and summer a 6-inch tubby.
The reaction (movement) off a tubby is far more erratic than the classic due to more lip/surface area..

This combination works with anything in tow... without flasher drag!

Nailed a lot of fish off Possession this last weekend with this combo!

Have fun with this one!

Edited by Capt Downriggin' (11/17/09 02:55 PM)

#556501 - 11/17/09 03:08 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: Capt Downriggin']
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
In river fishermen.....know that spoons like these would "NEVER WORK" for us..........lmao

BUT.....if someone would send me 4 or 5.......I'd give them a try.......hehehehe

Edited by DrifterWA (11/17/09 03:09 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#556504 - 11/17/09 03:21 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
Thanks for the link Matt, some of those combos look deadly...

#556507 - 11/17/09 03:50 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: The Moderator]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I like the Ace Hi Canadian series, glow, rattlers. Just below the forage or scatching the bottom this time of year.

The fish are where you find them. zip

#556510 - 11/17/09 04:00 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: slabhunter]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
CD

Nice idea. I'm going to try it whe I can get back out on the water.

I'm wondering though about possible wear on the main line or is the Tomic "hole" smooth enough to not fray the line? If line fray might be a problem could your set up use a section, say 12" or so, of heavier mono/cable with a swivel to snap your main line to? Would doing that kill some of the plug action?

Thanks

#556542 - 11/17/09 07:05 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: bushbear]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
BB,

I have been running 18# and 20# Maxima UG as a mainline with no issues of fraying. The one tip I'll pass along is filing the edges of the tow bar after it has been cut and before you you pull it through. This will alleviate the rough edges.

You could also leave the tow bar intact and tie the leader directly of the barrel swivel under the plug. The only issue is getting the plug to run true. A good solid knot on top of the tow bar is the key here..

I have also ran the J-plug styles of plug with this setup. Just add a barrel to the split ring under the plug and tie the leader off directly.

You're heavier mono should be ok- never tried it, and I don't see the action being killed too much (similiar weight to the old wire loops we ran). It's worth a shot I have only tied directly to the barrel swivel (as shown). If I want to change setups, I just changed rods.. It also gives me opportunity to keep checking the knots.

Let me know how your setup works...

#556550 - 11/17/09 07:27 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: Capt Downriggin']
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Cut Plugs are sooooooooooo last week. Just kidding. I was hoping the guy at the Everett Ramp would have them, but I guess he hasn't been there for a while. I guess next time I will have to drive to Edmonds to get my fresh bait. Does anyone out there jig for herring? Ours had green label sized herring in it. Fresh herring is hard to beat.

I did run a 5" Tomic I have that is full of teeth marks. It hit two fish right off of the bat. Biggest fish was on this plug, but had an extra rudder.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#556551 - 11/17/09 07:30 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: Fishinnut]
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
I have really good luck with a double clinch knot tied tight to the tow bar of the plug and I push it back on the top of the towbar towards the plug. It will hold pretty true for trolling straight.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#556557 - 11/17/09 07:48 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: Fishinnut]
SPUD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Ron,

Back to topic......how did the new Irish Creme work for you on Saturday ?

#556620 - 11/17/09 11:29 PM Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! [Re: SPUD]
Fishin' Luhrs Offline
Alevin

Hey Spud it work great for me smile Kevin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |