Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#558258 - 11/23/09 09:19 PM New Sidearm
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Just bought a new Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II, and I'm TOTALLY stoked! Can't wait to break it in...

I went to a new indoor range in Bothell Last week and had the opportunity to shoot quite a few different .45's one after another. I about pulled the trigger on a Springfield XD ( which I was pretty set on buying) because of the reliability of that platform, and my coworker who's a gunsmith said they were really great guns, he owns 6 of them. The XD is a nice gun but I couldn't keep it on target nearly as well as any of the 1911's I fired when shooting a round every 2-3 seconds or so.

My shooting partner Rob has a Kimber Covert II, and after firing that 50 or so rounds my groups were super tight at 20-30 feet. I was sold. Very fine weapons that are really easy to fire accurately. I'm not a great shot, but a decent shot, but his Kimber seemed to make it easy...and I felt like a great shot smile

I also shot a couple Colt's, Taurus's, and Springfield 1911's. Nice, but not like the fit and finish of the Kimber.

I've looked around over the last week or so and found that Kimber's are super hard to find right now, and back ordered for 12 weeks if you wait for one from the factory.

Luckily, my local shop happened to have almost exactly what I wanted. If I had the patience, I would have waited an bought a CDP II then added laser grips.
In the end, I had to settle for the Crimson Pro Carry. cool

Good shooting to ya!

#558280 - 11/23/09 09:45 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Thanks! I'm stoked about this gun because it's the first nice firearm I've purchased that is what *I* wanted..... Anything I have ever had up to now has been an old hand me down, or really used...etc.

#558464 - 11/24/09 11:35 AM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Sky-Guy]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Great gun! thumbs

If I had a reason to carry these days, I'd be all over that firearm!

PM me with what you paid for it and do they have any left. wink

You'd better hurry up and sign up for the first class in the Seastrike Academy of Firearms Safety!

Lesson 1 is all about which direction to point the gun when firing. 50% of the class(es) can't seem to figure this one out.

laugh

#558601 - 11/24/09 04:45 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: The Moderator]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Nice. Watched American Shooter last night and they covered that exact pistol.

Parker, take the price of an XD and double it.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#558637 - 11/24/09 05:30 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

I'm not very proficient or well versed about the qualities of different pistols. It's apples to oranges... just like Ford and Chevy, Glocks, Springfield and Kimbers all have their followings.

Personally, I didn't consider a Glock because I don't really care too much for the gun. Yeah, they are really reliable, but typically they are all black polymers and pretty boring. The Glock 30 also has a wider grip that I don't care for.

The Springfield XD, what I would consider a glockish-style weapon...a newer generation weapon platform that is really reliable, etc etc.... Squared-off, boring.. & They typically have worse recoil than an all steel or half aluminum/half steel gun.

Deal breaker for me was how I fired both of these... the Springfield vs. the Kimber 1911.

The Kimber feels much better in my hand, and I feel like I have better control over it because it seems to point more naturally. And most importantly, I shot much tighter groups with the Kimber over XD. I felt like I could aim it better, and keep it on target better then the XD. I think I'd feel the same way if I compared it to a Glock.

Finally, the Kimber Crimson trace laser grips are really cool. Factory sighted to 50 yards, and I like how they tell me how I am shooting after pulling the trigger, as well as how they help you line up before you pull the trigger.

#558662 - 11/24/09 06:22 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Sky-Guy]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Glocks are fine when they are full loaded with a full magazine - especially in the .40 and .45ACP calibers.

Glocks SUCK ASS when they are emptied - especially in the .40 and .45ACP calibers. "Mr. Snappy" becomes apparent with the Glock as they go from full to empty. They are tough to keep on target as they get lighter, as they become top-heavy and unbalanced.

Hate 'em for that reason.

Got nothing bad to say about any Kimber - or just about any 1911 framed pistol, for that matter.

For home defense, a classic Colt 1911 or full-sized Kimber will do just fine and it *will* get the job done.... 'prolly save you a few pennies too. Maybe.

Forget anything that requires batteries. Good open sights and good knowledge of how to fire a pistol trumps batteries any day. I already know exactly where that .45ACP is going as soon as I draw. Draw about 10,000 times and it becomes automatic.

#558700 - 11/24/09 08:13 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: The Moderator]
Tornado Offline
Parr

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
I've owned my Kimber Pro Carry in .45 for about four years now. It has been an excellent gun. Only problem is I find myself wanting a handgun that I can throw around and leave in my pickup. The Kimber is too pretty and I don't want it to get stolen. I'll be adding a cheaper Ruger .45 next year. The Kimber will stay next to the bed.

Congrats on the new gun.

#559153 - 11/26/09 02:41 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Tornado]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Nice 45 you have their.

My neighbor has a couple of Kimber 45's I've shot. A target 5" & a little shorty, funny thing is the stub is the tack-driver of the pair.

I've been looking @ this Sig Target Nitron online for a while now. Love to shoot one like it, any @ the local ranges?

c/22

#559199 - 11/26/09 08:15 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: chrome/22]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
My dad has a kimber pro carry and it is the best feeling and shooting gun I have ever handled. I have a Sig sp 234 which shoots great but compared to the kimber its junk. But like Tornado said, they are too pretty and expensive to throw in your truck and leave it, or even carry it around in a holster every day.

#559220 - 11/26/09 11:12 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: ]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
Get the older XD or a Sig. They are quality guns that you can get for around 500$ If you want to go cheaper, you can find Rugers and SW's for around $400 You can find cheaper guns but I wouldnt even consider them.

#559224 - 11/26/09 11:30 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: huntncoug]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
XD 45. Indestructable.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#559238 - 11/27/09 01:07 AM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Dogfish]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Hey Skyguy...

Were you shooting at Shooting Sports Northwest?

#559367 - 11/27/09 08:04 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Originally Posted By: Big_Daddy
Hey Skyguy...

Were you shooting at Shooting Sports Northwest?

Yep, pretty nice place.

#559438 - 11/27/09 10:51 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Sky-Guy]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

It is a very nice place to shoot.

During the winter months, I hit the range there 2-3 times per week.

#559455 - 11/27/09 11:48 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
You guys should go together and have a shoot out!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#559458 - 11/28/09 12:08 AM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Todd]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: Todd

I'd buy a ticket and put my money on BigDaddys' odds.........no matter what he's gunnin'.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#559485 - 11/28/09 01:16 AM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Todd]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Todd

Fish on...

Todd

Only if you will run down range and hang the targets......LOL

#559495 - 11/28/09 01:27 AM Re: New Sidearm [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I kinda meant shoot at each other smile I'll bring a lawn chair, though!

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I'd have to see the both of you shoot before I'd be holding any targets for you rofl

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#559507 - 11/28/09 02:08 AM Re: New Sidearm [Re: Todd]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
XD is a great weapon for the money. I love mine. There are lost's of decent 1911's out there too. Para Ordinance, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, etc..

It all boils down to how much dinero you want to drop.

Congrats on the Kimber!!!

#559547 - 11/28/09 02:31 PM Re: New Sidearm [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Can't go wrong with these...... grin

- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (darth baiter), 391 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |