THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#567797 - 12/30/09 11:39 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Tyee Warrior Offline
Fry

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: SBD
I have friends in alot of various industrys/agencys and the problem there facing right now is not the commercial guys but sport fisherman selling on the side. One estimate I heard from a Dept of Agriculture employee is 20% of the salmon in the mom and pop restuarants is coming through the back door. I've heard the same thing from a NMFS enforcement agent, and even a Portland ares chef at a big name restuarant that said it was so common he didn't even know It was illegal, and don't worry about the extra fins.

I call B.S.

Edited by Tyee Warrior (12/30/09 11:40 AM)

#567799 - 12/30/09 11:48 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Tyee Warrior]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water

There's a sucker born every minute

#567800 - 12/30/09 11:48 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

One estimate I heard from a Dept of Agriculture employee is 20% of the salmon in the mom and pop restuarants is coming through the back door.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/brothers_to_pay_150000_in_colu.html

$150,000 fine for commercial poaching with gillnet of salmon and sturgeon.

Edited by Lucky Louie (12/30/09 11:49 AM)

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#567801 - 12/30/09 11:50 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Lucky Louie]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

What is so dam funny.

#567803 - 12/30/09 11:53 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Lucky Louie]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Yes and they got caught, easy when its going through one channel..Hard as hell when its going a thousand different directions

#567808 - 12/30/09 12:12 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Yes and they got caught, easy when its going through one channel..Hard as hell when its going a thousand different directions

Getting back on thread, that is why I would like to see gillnets banned so they aren't doing damage in a thousand different directions.

#567827 - 12/30/09 01:16 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: AuntyM

So no... I don't think you're here to fight for fish or even allocation for sport fishers. You're here to divert peoples attention from taking long overdue action. Since you do it so often over more than a half dozen YEARS, the logical conclusion is that you are a gillnet hugger.

i actualy hate gillnets and hate fishing after gillnets, why would i want the gillnets changed over to a more selective method that would allow them to take more of the same fish i fish for and make sportfishing worse ?, why do you think the wdfw wants the gillnetters to change to a more selective method ?

#567835 - 12/30/09 01:32 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: boater

So no... I don't think you're here to fight for fish or even allocation for sport fishers. You're here to divert peoples attention from taking long overdue action. Since you do it so often over more than a half dozen YEARS, the logical conclusion is that you are a gillnet hugger.

i actualy hate gillnets and hate fishing after gillnets, why would i want the gillnets changed over to a more selective method that would allow them to take more of the same fish i fish for and make sportfishing worse ?, why do you think the wdfw wants the gillnetters to change to a more selective method ?

If you hate gillnets, then you should welcome a switch to selective methods that can more carefully handle wild fish AND be easier to monitor and control how many are caught. You aren't. In addition, instead of doing something on your own and being proactive, you chose to attack ANY organized effort that will change the status quo to benefit the resource.

So again, logic and your history prove you are dishonest about your motives.

cant you ever answer a question ?

#567838 - 12/30/09 01:40 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

No your right there not sportfisherman, just poachers using sport gear. Watching another one right now along with me buddies, He's going down hard!

#567841 - 12/30/09 01:44 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Couldn't get any fresher than that.

#567843 - 12/30/09 01:48 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
RtndSpawner Offline
Parr

Loc: Mason

After reading the article I fail to see how this is a problem with recreational fishermen. If you read through the list of citations the only one mentioned is one for commercially caught sport fish. Also, if you see the timing of when this operation was conducted was in April. Huuum, what kind of fishery is going on at that time of the year? Could it be springers in the CR? Almost all recreational fishers are going to be hanging on to the few each individual catches. However, there is tremendous profit to made selling commercially caught wild fish out the back door. People will pay good money for "wild caught spring salmon." Notice I didn't say "wild spring salmon." Once that fish gets served on a plate most people would not be able to tell you if that was a hatchery or wild fish. There are alot of struggling establishments out there willing to cut corners because the risk of getting caught is quite small. In this case some of them did.

Bottom line is we need to get rid of all gillnets and switch to a selective harvest of hatchery fish and eliminate the temptation to harvest wild fish no matter what is in season. If we maintain the present course it's only a matter of time before there won't be enough fish left for anyone to fight over.

#567844 - 12/30/09 01:52 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper

Obviously for you the glass is perpetually half empty, don't you have a neighbor to call the cops on or something?

#567845 - 12/30/09 02:01 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: RtndSpawner]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Commercially Sold Sport
Caught Fish, Not Commercially caught sport fish

There's problems everywhere

#567847 - 12/30/09 02:22 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: fish4brains]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: fish4brains

Obviously for you the glass is perpetually half empty, don't you have a neighbor to call the cops on or something?

good one.

#567848 - 12/30/09 02:25 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
RtndSpawner Offline
Parr

Loc: Mason
I stand corrected. When it comes down to poaching it doesn't matter how the fish was caught.

#567874 - 12/30/09 03:41 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: RtndSpawner]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Here we go again
Proposed gillnet ban would delegate resource management to TV pitchmen

http://www.dailyastorian.info/main.asp?SectionID=23&SubSectionID=392&ArticleID=66704
12/29/2009 11:17:00 AM

An advocacy group is at it again this winter, promising to put an initiative to ban gillnetting on Oregon's November ballot. Voters should reject this self-serving plan.

All types of fishing play important parts in the economy and culture of the Lower Columbia River. Although the commercial importance of salmon isn't what it once was, gillnetting continues to support local families. And for many residents, gillnetters provide our only hope of buying a splendid taste of the salmon that swim past our towns.

Nor should we overlook the contributions of recreational fishing. Taking many forms, from casting a line off a jetty to spending thousands on a boat, sport angling is both a key lifestyle choice and a prime economic sector.

Just as our economy needs all types of fishing, salmon need all types of fishermen to serve as allies in the struggle against river industrialization and environmental threats like global warming. Most fishing groups understand this partnership and have worked well together over the years.

The regrettable exception to this spirit of cooperation is the newly arrived Coastal Conservation Association, which might be better named "More Salmon For Us." This sport-fishing group will be trying to persuade voters that it is somehow immoral to catch salmon in a net. They tried and failed to push the same radical agenda in the Oregon Legislature last session.

Designing fisheries with a citizens' initiative is a horribly flawed idea, essentially taking management out of the hands of biologists and placing it with TV advertising pitchmen who will try to convince a big block of urban voters to put gillnetters out of business. This is no way to improve salmon populations.

There are worthwhile studies under way to enhance the selectivity of salmon harvests. These even include bringing back a form of fish traps, which permit fishermen to examine unharmed salmon and free any that spawn in the wild. Considering the money and expertise invested in gillnetting, any broad-scale change in methodology will necessitate much thought, planning and government assistance.

But such innovations may be the real future of salmon management, not heavy-handed resource grabs like the one being pushed upon voters in 2010.

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#567878 - 12/30/09 04:25 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon

No doubt there's some going on, but your link to the OSP newsletter indicates it was more like commercial fishers bypassing the commercial processors and selling direct, to make more money. As opposed to sports anglers exchanging their stringer of trout for cash.

#567879 - 12/30/09 04:28 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Phoenix77]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Phoenix77
Here we go again
Proposed gillnet ban would delegate resource management to TV pitchmen

http://www.dailyastorian.info/main.asp?SectionID=23&SubSectionID=392&ArticleID=66704
12/29/2009 11:17:00 AM

An advocacy group is at it again this winter, promising to put an initiative to ban gillnetting on Oregon's November ballot. Voters should reject this self-serving plan.

All types of fishing play important parts in the economy and culture of the Lower Columbia River. Although the commercial importance of salmon isn't what it once was, gillnetting continues to support local families. And for many residents, gillnetters provide our only hope of buying a splendid taste of the salmon that swim past our towns.

Nor should we overlook the contributions of recreational fishing. Taking many forms, from casting a line off a jetty to spending thousands on a boat, sport angling is both a key lifestyle choice and a prime economic sector.

Just as our economy needs all types of fishing, salmon need all types of fishermen to serve as allies in the struggle against river industrialization and environmental threats like global warming. Most fishing groups understand this partnership and have worked well together over the years.

The regrettable exception to this spirit of cooperation is the newly arrived Coastal Conservation Association, which might be better named "More Salmon For Us." This sport-fishing group will be trying to persuade voters that it is somehow immoral to catch salmon in a net. They tried and failed to push the same radical agenda in the Oregon Legislature last session.

Designing fisheries with a citizens' initiative is a horribly flawed idea, essentially taking management out of the hands of biologists and placing it with TV advertising pitchmen who will try to convince a big block of urban voters to put gillnetters out of business. This is no way to improve salmon populations.

There are worthwhile studies under way to enhance the selectivity of salmon harvests. These even include bringing back a form of fish traps, which permit fishermen to examine unharmed salmon and free any that spawn in the wild. Considering the money and expertise invested in gillnetting, any broad-scale change in methodology will necessitate much thought, planning and government assistance.

But such innovations may be the real future of salmon management, not heavy-handed resource grabs like the one being pushed upon voters in 2010.

I didn't see a name attached. So what pitchman paid for this ad.

#567881 - 12/30/09 04:37 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Lucky Louie]
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon
It's just an editorial....

Kinda bad journalism to editorialize when you haven't even seen the language of this proposed ballot initiative.

Anybody have an actual copy of what CCA submitted to the elections office?

Edited by OntheColumbia (12/30/09 04:37 PM)

#567888 - 12/30/09 05:31 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: OntheColumbia]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

OtC

First time I heard this I didn't pay much attention, Dept of Ag friend who checks resturants and avid angler who knows the difference between frozen and fresh salmon and he said there's a problem that his agency is aware of. Second time was NMFS agent, same thing supply and demand, when you get into the 5 bucks a pound stuff temptation is great. A year later the chef from Portland said way more common than you think, pick-ups with coolers late night. The OSP report just kinda backs it up..

Page 3 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 29 30 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |