Page 10 of 30 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#568863 - 01/03/10 10:27 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
tryin to get the thread closed ?

#568865 - 01/03/10 10:30 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Lucky Louie]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

"Boater, Billjr64, and Keta, You don't like the idea of seines,so that leaves you with status quo gill nets or helping freespool out with his proposal or change legislation regarding commercial status. What is your pick? Or other plan you can propose to the legislature this year?"

When there are policies like(1) a set number of ESA listed fish that are allowed to be killed one way or another, (2) doing next to nothing about the biggest problem, the dams, and (3) banning commercial fishing seems to be off the table, it's hard for me to get too exited about selective commercial harvest methods. The idea that seines or whatever method they use will get more fish to the sports fishing sector is delusional.

#568869 - 01/03/10 10:41 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Originally Posted By: boater
tryin to get the thread closed ?

Ya, sure, you betcha! (pretty stupid statement, even from you)

you have a history of doing that.

#568870 - 01/03/10 10:44 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
dobberbown Offline
Fry

Loc: Oregon
So let's say for argument that we got our wish and all commercial harvest was banned on the LCR. Sounds great right?

The sport fishermen are terrible at catching a big percentage of hatchery fish. If too many hatchery fish escape and attempt to spawn with the ESA wild fish then we have to close down hatcheries.

Without commercials on the main Columbia, how do you propose we do this?

#568875 - 01/03/10 10:51 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: dobberbown]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
[quote=dobberbown]So let's say for argument that we got our wish and all commercial harvest was banned on the LCR. Sounds great right?

The sport fishermen are terrible at catching a big percentage of hatchery fish. If too many hatchery fish escape and attempt to spawn with the ESA wild fish then we have to close down hatcheries.

Without commercials on the main Columbia, how do you propose we do this? [/quote

Hatcheries already have weirs that block ALL fish from going past them. Only wild fish are allowed past that point usually. Some may spawn downstream of that point but not many, especially in the case of spring chinook and native steelhead. Bill

#568878 - 01/03/10 11:09 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: dobberbown]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: dobberbown

Without commercials on the main Columbia, how do you propose we do this?

use the esa take that they had and make bigger bag limits and longer sport seasons.

#568879 - 01/03/10 11:10 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: billjr64]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Freespool's a gill netter, now that would explain most of every conservation that I have ever had with him.

I expect now he will come back as a newby.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#568880 - 01/03/10 11:12 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

is this a new trend ?, if your not onboard with the cca it means your a gillnetter ? rofl

#568885 - 01/03/10 11:34 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Wow the bees are buzzing tonight. It seems like a rerun of the best of boater with all the old quotes and topics. Are they related to you? rofl

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#568886 - 01/03/10 11:35 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The ballot measure CCA has proposed clearly illustrates what a monumentally bad idea management by popular consensus really is.

#568887 - 01/03/10 11:38 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Hey, I`m not a gillnetter, nor am I "onboard" with C.C.A.,BUT I promise to stop every hatchery fish that I can from making it upriver past my bait. Bill

#568890 - 01/03/10 11:50 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: billjr64]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

WDFW officials envision a future in which the river's commercial fishers could catch considerably more fish than they do now while helping boost wild fish productivity.

http://www.cbbulletin.com/369796.aspx

hopefully this spreads to willipa bay, grays harbor and puget sound

#568896 - 01/04/10 12:13 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Boater,
I appreciate what you bring to the table for well rounded discussion. I'm looking out 6-7 years VS most people looking at present when it comes to this gillnet/seine topic. That is the time frame for Washington side of equation where anything can happen between now and then to enhance sportfishing. I think this topic has been beaten to death X3 so I'm out of here for now.
LL

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#568902 - 01/04/10 12:55 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

WDFW officials envision a future in which the river's commercial fishers could catch considerably more fish than they do now while helping boost wild fish productivity.

http://www.cbbulletin.com/369796.aspx

hopefully this spreads to willipa bay, grays harbor and puget sound

Ya gotta a mean streak in ya. Ya get that from raisin them pomeranians?

#568906 - 01/04/10 01:23 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
is this a new trend ?, if your not onboard with the cca it means your a gillnetter ? rofl

The same could be said about your stance on hatcheries, if your not on board with WSC then your anti wild fish.

If you really want to push their agenda then do it yourself, why should CCA walk in lock step with your agenda?

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#568938 - 01/04/10 12:59 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

I was involved in a ballot initiative in 2003, at that time it cost about $5 million to successfully pass the measure.
I would think that the price has risen since then, better plan on having a banquet every day for the next year to pay for it.

#568942 - 01/04/10 01:17 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Somehow with the way its written I get the feeling Oregon Supreme Court is going to throw it back in there faces.

Edited by SBD (01/04/10 01:20 PM)

There's a sucker born every minute

#568943 - 01/04/10 01:21 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: SBD
Somehow with the way its written I get the feeling Oregon Supreme Court is going to throw it back in there faces.

Measures with no clear plan for funding should be rejected.

#568944 - 01/04/10 01:31 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I think it will, or they will be forced to rewrite it to remove the ban on seines, fishwheels, and traps, or at least be bared from promoting these alternative methods in there ad campaigns which there already doing. Might be wrong, going to be fun to watch!

There's a sucker born every minute

#569010 - 01/04/10 04:21 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Somethingsmellsf

The same could be said about your stance on hatcheries, if your not on board with WSC then your anti wild fish.

If you really want to push their agenda then do it yourself, why should CCA walk in lock step with your agenda?

Fishy

whats the wsc have to do with this ?, what part of "i want more fish for sportsman and not for the commercials" dont you understand ?

Page 10 of 30 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29 30 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (darth baiter), 961 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |