THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 26 of 30 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#572030 - 01/13/10 12:15 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Salmo g.]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
SBD,

You've mentioned several times about treaty tribes fishing downstream of Bonneville. However, none of the treaty tribes have adjudicated U&A downstream of Bonneville as far as I know. Why would WA or OR allow unadjudicated treaty fishing? If you know something else, give it up.

Sg

Salmo, Treaty Tribes have built and used platforms to dip spring chinook from Willamette Falls in the recent past, and they harvest ells annually at those same falls.
The only thing that keep the Tribes above Bonneville Dam, is simply their own free will.

#572032 - 01/13/10 12:21 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Illahee]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Freespool,

Which treaty tribes have adjudicated fishing rights downstream of Bonneville? If no tribe has such adjudicated rights, then they are fishing at the pleasure of the state. That is my understanding of legal status. Maybe Todd has a thought on this.

Sg

#572034 - 01/13/10 12:24 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
They were also taking ceremonial between the bridges using a non-indian commercial gillnet boat and have already told the states more of the same in 2010.. Contrary to popular sportsmans belief Bonneville was not constructed to hold the tribes back but to provide Hydro Electricity and it just became a kind of an unwritten divider between the two fishing groups..No Laws involved here.

Edited by SBD (01/13/10 12:28 PM)

There's a sucker born every minute

#572035 - 01/13/10 12:31 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

#572047 - 01/13/10 01:08 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

I think the tribes care deeply about recovery they just haven't been sucked into this Hatchery/Selective Fishing hole that the BPA/Irrigators/LNG gang are selling.

#572048 - 01/13/10 01:09 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
River Nutrients

SBD,

Claimed U&A and adjudicated U&A often are not the same.

Sg

#572050 - 01/13/10 01:19 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Salmo g.]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Not sure Salmo... But I haven't seen the tribes ever lose a case when it comes to Bolt Decision..Maybe the sportsfisherman want to test this water..My guess is they get scalded bad, and the tribes don't forget.

#572056 - 01/13/10 01:53 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Aunty
I'll send you a PM when I hear the tribes are working below Bonneville and you can jump in the car and go look for yourself..Your right don't believe anything you read on these boards or at special interest meetings..Do your own research!

#572059 - 01/13/10 01:56 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: SBD
Not sure Salmo... But I haven't seen the tribes ever lose a case when it comes to Bolt Decision..Maybe the sportsfisherman want to test this water..My guess is they get scalded bad, and the tribes don't forget.

What the hell is your problem? You sit back and judge the first organization that comes along and makes some real progress in a relatve short time, has a resume of accomplishments, longer than your arm and you refer to them as the LNG crowd? Now you light a fire for some redneck to jump on and watch the fire take off? You a commercial or just a pouty angry old man? Even the PSA members around here recognized a winner. Doesnt stop them from getting involved, in fact, their situation and influence is improved, because they support cca.

Im getting a little tired of the whining about springer allocation, when the entire state is involved. This process will be played out over and over for a variety of improvements to the fish, habitat, harvest, hydro, predators etc over the next ten years or more. Its akin to not setting up a retirement account, cause you cant buy enough tackle. Man up! Its one thing to be a starving college student, but hanging on to the free ride attitude, is exactly what got us to this point. Ive never met so many people who bitch about 25 dollars. Where can you buy an attorney and two lobbyists for $25 at the federal level. You want better fishing. Its not free. You want to defeat the commercial overharvest and the processors? Its not free. You want to sue the ........ its not free. You have hatcheries because of great lobbying and lousy mgt. You want to catch wild fish? Then protect the fish we have.

#572060 - 01/13/10 02:06 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Fast and Furious]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

I guess I have more faith in NMFS than most when they say we can use x number of impacts and not hurt the recovery effort..All the rest like this bill is just an allocation issue, even though its title says Salmon Protection Act.. It never explains how it will protect the fish other than passing the burden to the next user group above them, and with all the fine print it reaks of something else..Kinda of a rotten egg smell

#572071 - 01/13/10 02:36 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

Ive never met so many people who bitch about 25 dollars. Where can you buy an attorney and two lobbyists for $25 at the federal level.

Piss on the $25 bucks. That's the lousiest arguement I've heard yet... I'd send CCA a check for $1000 today if I didn't believe CCA is taking us down the road of destruction....

As soon as you give the netters a better harvesting method that is less lethal than sportsman you'll never get our fish back and our allocations will slowly fade....

You watch... Money drives the system, sad but true...

Keith

#572072 - 01/13/10 02:40 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
River Nutrients

SBD,

The treaty tribes were clear winners in US v WA and US v OR, and it was exactly those same federal court decisions wherein each treaty tribe's U&A was deliniated. That was adjudication. Tribes have claimed U&A beyond the areas described in the decisions, but I've yet to see WA agree to any treaty fishing area other than was has been adjudicated. I said a treaty tribe can fish outside its U&A at the state's pleasure for a specific reason. I believe the use of a non-treaty gillnetter downstream of Bonneville and dipnetting at Willametter Falls was allowed at the pleasure of the states so the tribes could obtain some salmon for ceremonial use. WDFW has given the Yakama Tribe spring chinook from the Cowlitz Hatchery for that reason. The Yakama Tribe claims U&A in the Cowlitz River, but WA doesn't recognize it because it hasn't been adjudicated. Consequently I don't anticipate any of the Columbia River tribes coming downstream of Bonneville to fish unless it's allowed by WA and OR until such time as those tribes obtain adjudicated fishing rights to the area.

Sg

#572073 - 01/13/10 02:41 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Todd would be the one to update you on Tribal Laws he's been right on so far...Yes all the rest is theory, but the lightly attended LNG meeting I attended the main concern came from the sports side..1000ft LNG tankers with 1500ft no travel zones around them twice a week and bouy 10 don't work together, the skipanon river would close for 48hours.. Shutting down the terminal fisherys and 3 mitchell act hatcheries that feed it and taking the smolts far upriver would fix that. Just rename the fishery the St Helens Derby, everybodys happy and CCA is king, look what they did for us.. One thing that did come up would be the need to remove some dikes for mitigation and there was some in the Youngs Bay area..It would fix that problem too..and the worst problem is I'm not against it because I hate whats going on in the middleast and would sell my soul to the devil to get us out of there..Its just that I think some other people all ready beat me to it

#572084 - 01/13/10 03:03 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I guess I have more faith in NMFS than most when they say we can use x number of impacts and not hurt the recovery effort..All the rest like this bill is just an allocation issue, even though its title says Salmon Protection Act.. It never explains how it will protect the fish other than passing the burden to the next user group above them, and with all the fine print it reaks of something else..Kinda of a rotten egg smell

Really? Allocation... Its ONE change. Ban nets, and switch gear. The rest just plugs the loop holes.
It wont protect Salmon? The tribes can also go to selective gear and Ive been told TWICE, since the tribes are CO MANAGERS they are responsible for reducing ESA mortality. That came from a rep that works for the tribes. You assume this is the end. Its not. Process of elimination.

NMFS? Then where is the recovery? Great science behind the San Juan Island MPA.

How many people do you know on the NMFS board? Florida CCA has/had four in the last year or so. There are about 150 people on that board. Ever had to sue NMFS? CCA did and won. look it up. From what I understand they still have to pass it up to Commerce, which is our old buddy Gary Locke.

Ive been reading a commercial site. Even they dont trust NMFS. Ive been guilty of finding a comfortable place and not paying attention. When they rolled over me, I didnt even feel it.

#572085 - 01/13/10 03:22 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I will settle for a hundred. I hope you have something else to entertain guest with. Its bound to get boring listening to that tape. I thought you said we are heading there anyway.....
This is about more than one river. I know guys who dont care about the CR and I know guys who dont care about PS. Support the others and hopefully, they return the support.

Time will tell, but its not me, running the show. Most of these guys are not new to the game. This definitely is not the Koenings era.

Last year, I had a guy bug me for a free hat. Otherwise, he would not join. mooooocher. Way too many, "something for nothing" in our sport. JHC look at the snaggers and poacher we have.

#572086 - 01/13/10 03:23 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA

What the hell is your problem? You sit back and judge the first organization that comes along and makes some real progress in a relatve short time, has a resume of accomplishments, longer than your arm and you refer to them as the LNG crowd? Now you light a fire for some redneck to jump on and watch the fire take off? You a commercial or just a pouty angry old man? Even the PSA members around here recognized a winner. Doesnt stop them from getting involved, in fact, their situation and influence is improved, because they support cca.

Im getting a little tired of the whining about springer allocation, when the entire state is involved. This process will be played out over and over for a variety of improvements to the fish, habitat, harvest, hydro, predators etc over the next ten years or more. Its akin to not setting up a retirement account, cause you cant buy enough tackle. Man up! Its one thing to be a starving college student, but hanging on to the free ride attitude, is exactly what got us to this point. Ive never met so many people who bitch about 25 dollars. Where can you buy an attorney and two lobbyists for $25 at the federal level. You want better fishing. Its not free. You want to defeat the commercial overharvest and the processors? Its not free. You want to sue the ........ its not free. You have hatcheries because of great lobbying and lousy mgt. You want to catch wild fish? Then protect the fish we have.

After approximately four seconds of thought, I nominate the above quote for "dumbest fukin post in a 28 page thread"...congratulations.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#572090 - 01/13/10 03:29 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Todd would be the one to update you on Tribal Laws he's been right on so far...Yes all the rest is theory, but the lightly attended LNG meeting I attended the main concern came from the sports side..1000ft LNG tankers with 1500ft no travel zones around them twice a week and bouy 10 don't work together, the skipanon river would close for 48hours.. Shutting down the terminal fisherys and 3 mitchell act hatcheries that feed it and taking the smolts far upriver would fix that. Just rename the fishery the St Helens Derby, everybodys happy and CCA is king, look what they did for us.. One thing that did come up would be the need to remove some dikes for mitigation and there was some in the Youngs Bay area..It would fix that problem too..and the worst problem is I'm not against it because I hate whats going on in the middleast and would sell my soul to the devil to get us out of there..Its just that I think some other people all ready beat me to it

You are just absolutely wack. CCA didnt form until july 2007. No chance of doing anything about that plant. Your just another guy, who looks for an excuse to blame someone else. You had the web, you were there, could have started your own campaign etc.

#572093 - 01/13/10 03:36 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Todd]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Todd

After approximately four seconds of thought, I nominate the above quote for "dumbest fukin post in a 28 page thread"...congratulations.

Fish on...

Todd

Well, at least you used my testimony for evidence. A clear improvement over your lynching of me and cca over the green river allegations. I guess that oath you took doesnt matter anymore.

#572101 - 01/13/10 03:56 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: eyeFISH]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
The CCA is first and foremost a conservation group. They want to conserve fish. The ability to fish for them is also important, but waging an allocation battle is NOT a primary concern.

I'm glad that is the case but doubt that most NW CCA members would agree. If you think otherwise, I think you're mistaken.

#572108 - 01/13/10 04:18 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: AuntyM

Doc's right and I hope the CCA membership will educate themselves, or they won't have anything left to fish for.

thats realy true, when this commercial selective fishing takes off and they start taking more hatchery fish sport fishing wont be to good above these new methods, i`d suggest fishing below them.

Page 26 of 30 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (seabeckraised, Salmo g.), 314 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645393 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |