#566285 - 12/22/09 02:10 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Achewter]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
No kidding.

#577464 - 01/31/10 03:45 AM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: The Moderator]
Eagle Spirit Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Just wondering what the latest impressions of this reel are from those that have been fishing the reel.

#577465 - 01/31/10 04:11 AM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Eagle Spirit]
Charholio Offline
Parr

Loc: Anchorage, AK
I used the 61 to back bounce on the Kenai and Nushagak a little bit last summer. I paired it with a GLoomis BB965 (Parker, Doc says you tried to steal this rod and take it back to WA with you). I put 65 lb braid on it and I have to tell you, I will not be without this reel on the Kenai. It is hands down and by far the most comfortable, capable reel I have ever backbounced with for this situation (heavy water, huge fish). It's not only comfortable but practical as well. I especially like the large open space on top of the reel so you have plenty of thumb room. This reel was way more comfortable (to me) than the Calcuttas and round Ambassadeurs I've used for backbouncing in the past.

This reel came with carbon fiber drag washers and I believe they were dry. If I remember right, I greased them with Cal's grease. The drag performed flawlessly on the several fish I caught with it. It has good range and was very smooth. Additionally, it has a synchronized level wind which prevents braid dig in at the edges of the spool. Aside from the dry drag, there is nothing I'd change on this reel based on my experience so far.

The only thing I can't vouch for on this reel is durability. I haven't had any problems, but I'd like to test it more. By the end of this coming season I'll have a pretty good idea of its durability.

It also comes with a power handle in addition to a standard double paddle handle. This will come in handy if your using it for kwikfish/diver combinations. I used the standard handle for my fishing. One caveat on the 'standard' handle--it is a little wider from paddle to paddle than say a 6500 handle. This is a good thing in my opinion.

#577468 - 01/31/10 04:49 AM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Charholio]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

That does it.... I'm gettin' one. Haven't bought a new Kenai-caliber reel specifically for me since I purchased my Calcutta 400TE. That was back in 2005. Somehow that one spent more time in other people's hands than my own.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#577472 - 01/31/10 07:49 AM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: eyeFISH]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast

#577532 - 01/31/10 05:01 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Charholio]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Originally Posted By: Charholio
I paired it with a GLoomis BB965 (Parker, Doc says you tried to steal this rod and take it back to WA with you).

You'd better keep a sharp eye on that rod - I still have my eyes on it!

That rod kicked ass as a back-bouncer on the Kenai! Not a pool cue like the 966 and just a little more "ooomph" than the 964. Perfecto!

I can only imagine a Revo 50 or 60 would excel on that river. thumbs

If reel truly has 23lbs of drag on it, one shouldn't need a bazillion yards of line on the reel. Just a good still rod and some drag power.

I don't think I ever saw a fish that was more than 50 yards from any boat.

#577542 - 01/31/10 06:07 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: The Moderator]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Fished them hard the past month, and they are even cooler than I thought they'd be.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#577550 - 01/31/10 08:03 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Todd]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

What's the trick to getting a 50 open? Mine is either sealed really well, or I'm missing something obvious.

Besides the two case screws, and the long spool screw that wants to loosen, but not fully come out, what else does one have to do?

Also, what's the opinion on applying some Cal grease on the carbon fiber washers....if I can ever get too them?

My thought on opening up the 50 was to apply a light layer of grease to the washers.......

#577559 - 01/31/10 08:57 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Took me a few minutes to get the hang opening it, too...the pivot point on the sideplate is off center, so it takes a little touch to find out where it is and turn it on the point...just mess around with it for a few and you'll get it.

I left the drags as is out of the box...working fantastic so far.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#577687 - 02/01/10 11:26 AM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Hankster
This one's even better. From Alan Tani the reel guru from down here in the Bay Area.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=29451

"first, understand that a full set greased carbon fiber drag washers will INCREASE your functional drag range. i define a functional drag as being able to pick a weight, say 10 pounds, tie off that much lead to the line, lift up the rod to a 45 degree angle on the butt and be able to adjust the drag until the weight drops one foot every five seconds. no other drag system, except greased carbon fiber, will deliver that level of performance over the lifetime of the reel. do this drag washer upgrade one time and you will never have to worry about it again.'
consider that a properly functioning drag washer may allow you to use thinner diameter line. thinner diameter line might deliver more hookups and fewer breakoffs. more hookups and fewer breakoffs could mean the difference between placing in a tournament, or winning, or going home a loser.

REVO 24# drag fans, take your medicine smile

From Alan Tani :
" there was a slight problem with this reel. i bottomed out the star to check for the maximum drag pressure and it got only 8 pounds of drag. the manager of my local tackle shop told me that this reel was supposed to get over 20 pounds of drag. i initially thought that was odd, because that amount of drag pressure would most assuredly shred the main and pinion gears. i had him check another revo inshore that he had in stock and the star on this reel also bottomed out at 8 pounds."

With a mod, he was able to get to 15#
See the teardown.

#577884 - 02/01/10 09:25 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Direct-Drive]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Thanks for the info! Saw that post over on the other board but it didn't equate in my brain that the models were similar to what he was working on.

Just took apart both the 50 and the STX and Cal'd up the fiber washers!

Better than new! thumbs Not too sure why anyone would *not* do this is kinda beyond me. huh Seems like a no-brainer upgrade on an already great reel.

#577935 - 02/01/10 10:10 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: The Moderator]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Drag startup will be smoother running the drag washers "wet".
I just found a deal on an Inshore....this one is 200 size and has centrifugal cast control.

#577961 - 02/01/10 10:34 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Direct-Drive]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

All of my reels have been upgraded (if not shipped stock) with carbon fiber washers that I've installed wet. smoothdrag.com has washers for just about any Shimano, ABU, or Dawia out there. thumbs

Should note that one needs a 20mm washer for the "upgrade" and that smoothdrag sells a 21.5mm that works just fine.

thumbs

#578389 - 02/03/10 11:54 AM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: The Moderator]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
When I get some downtime later this month, I'll do the wet drag thing on my Revo Inshore. Got a question for you reel junkies.

Can the Shimano white drag grease be substituted for Cal's drag grease ?

I have the Shimano stuff on hand & will use it if the results will be the same. I'm going to go w/ the stock Abu washers that are in the reel & just lube them up.

Thanks in advance.

c/22

#578413 - 02/03/10 12:41 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: chrome/22]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
When I get some downtime later this month, I'll do the wet drag thing on my Revo Inshore. Got a question for you reel junkies.

Can the Shimano white drag grease be substituted for Cal's drag grease ?

I have the Shimano stuff on hand & will use it if the results will be the same. I'm going to go w/ the stock Abu washers that are in the reel & just lube them up.

Thanks in advance.

c/22

Yep Shimano Drag Grease and Cal's are very similar products.
Cal's is less expensive when buying larger quantities.

DD
Factoid:
A REVO will work better with Shimano Drag Grease
Hmmm....an interesting thought grin

#578421 - 02/03/10 12:51 PM Re: Merry Christmas to me :) [Re: Direct-Drive]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
Yep Shimano Drag Grease and Cal's are very similar products.
Cal's is less expensive when buying larger quantities. DD Factoid: A REVO will work better with Shimano Drag Grease
Hmmm....an interesting thought grin

DD, I'm still in the Shimano camp. This Revo is on double secret probation till proven better or equal to my satisfaction.

Must say it worked very well on a summer 09 Westport charter trip, lots of hot & feisty ho's in the 10-17 lb. range tested the drag. All the bigger ones were C&R wild fish, just smoked some runs.

On the other hand dropping a 3 oz mooching lead off the side didn't tell me much on the casting merits...... 2cents

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |