Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#583633 - 02/23/10 09:28 PM WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini
boyScott Offline
Egg

The SB 6813 to abolish Washington Dept Fish and Wildlife and State Parks is now part of the Senate budget bill. If the Senate budget passes as it is now SB 6813 will abolish WDFW and State Parks moving their duties under the Dept of Natural Resources.

I am an employee of WDFW so my opinions are bias so take that into account as you read this. This bill really came out of no where. There really hasn't been time to study what this means for the agencies involved but more importantly the states resources. If the 3 agencies are to be merged lets slow the process down and put together a couple proposals for the next session. Many people thought the bill didn't have any legs so opposition has been very light.

DNR is a resource extractor. Fish and Wildlife is a conservation agency but the hunting fishing side is similar to the resource extracting for DNR. The scary aspect is thatthat the 3 agencies are not merging. Instead DNR is taking over the WDFW and state parks functions. My job is safe short term and possibly the long term. But DNR butts heads with Fish and Wildlife all the time. What will happen once DNR has a say in who the Assistant Directors are for the Wildlife, Hababit and Fish programs.

#583638 - 02/23/10 09:37 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: boyScott]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Theres already a several page thread about this.....

#583667 - 02/23/10 10:47 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: boyScott]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Welcome, boyScott.
Thank you for taking the effort to join and post. Read the other threads and add your comments.

#583735 - 02/24/10 01:48 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Doctor Rick]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

It is a bad idea. One man rule over fish and wildlife resource management would take this state back into the last century. I understand Rodney Tom wanted the bill as part of his budget package, but long term costs to the public's fish and wildlife resources would not result in any budget savings.

#583737 - 02/24/10 01:53 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Bass turds... dirty bass turds!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#583749 - 02/24/10 03:54 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: boyScott]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: boyScott
The SB 6813 to abolish Washington Dept Fish and Wildlife and State Parks is now part of the Senate budget bill. If the Senate budget passes as it is now SB 6813 will abolish WDFW and State Parks moving their duties under the Dept of Natural Resources.

I am an employee of WDFW so my opinions are bias so take that into account as you read this. This bill really came out of no where. There really hasn't been time to study what this means for the agencies involved but more importantly the states resources. If the 3 agencies are to be merged lets slow the process down and put together a couple proposals for the next session. Many people thought the bill didn't have any legs so opposition has been very light.

DNR is a resource extractor. Fish and Wildlife is a conservation agency but the hunting fishing side is similar to the resource extracting for DNR. The scary aspect is thatthat the 3 agencies are not merging. Instead DNR is taking over the WDFW and state parks functions. My job is safe short term and possibly the long term. But DNR butts heads with Fish and Wildlife all the time. What will happen once DNR has a say in who the Assistant Directors are for the Wildlife, Hababit and Fish programs.

Another words we'll be back to pre 1995 where most of the major decisions went to the commercials? Believe me, rec.sportsmen will not like moving backwards to that era.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#583756 - 02/24/10 10:08 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Lucky Louie]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Lucky Louie -
Such a change would be moving back much further than 1995. I have to suspect that with a super "natural resource" agency wildlife and their users would be a much lower priority for the State.

Tight lines
Curt

#583761 - 02/24/10 10:43 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Smalma]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Lucky Louie -
Such a change would be moving back much further than 1995. I have to suspect that with a super "natural resource" agency wildlife and their users would be a much lower priority for the State.

Tight lines
Curt

We are on the same page there. I remember commercial dominance in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's and it goes back many decades past that. Hence ref 45 passed by the voters in 1995 so the sportmen could have a sounding board, a say, a process through the commission. Getting rid of the commission will take us back to pre 1995 commercial dominance.

#583766 - 02/24/10 11:12 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Lucky Louie]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

We have to get the wording pulled out of the Senate budget bill. Time to take action is now.

The Senate bill calling for the merger of WDFW & Parks into DNR remains bottled up in the Senate Natural Resources Committee. Multiple title only bills dealing with "natural resources" have been introduced - any one of them could be used as the policy vehicle to merge WDFW & Parks into DNR and that's now the likely event to occur. The Senate budget released yesterday zero's out the WDFW budget, reduces the agency operating budget by $10.5 million and transfers all WDFW functions to DNR. No proof has been presented that the state "saves" $10.5 million in operating costs by these actions. Making these budget provisions will require passage of a policy bill - you can bet one will come down the road quickly - we just don't know what vehicle (bill) will be used.

This is deadly and serious business - EVERY FISHING, HUNTING AND RELATED PROGRAM AND EVERY DEDICATED FUND IS AT RISK FOR TERMINATION OR REDUCTION. The majority of hunters and fishers in Washington State agreed to surcharges on their licenses to keep these important functions in place last year. Your support of the department will be wiped out if the Senate Budget is allowed to advance with the merger language in it - the House version of the budget does not (yet) contain this language.

You, your organizations and all of the members or your organizations (and their friends and family) ABSOLUTELY need to get involved NOW. The only "target" at the moment is the merger language in the Senate budget. A simple "I oppose merger of the natural resource agencies" will suffice. It's been about 15 years since the old department of fish and department of game were merged to create WDFW. We're still dealing with the ugly consequences of that merger. We don't need another super agency ... that's not government reform. Creating another super agency while doing harm to the already existing programs willingly funded by hunters and fishers is not responsible wildlife management.

The first order of priority is for everybody to contact EVERY member of the Senate Ways & Means Committee with the message LOUD AND CLEAR STATED that the hunters and fishers of the state are adamantly opposed to merging WDFW into DNR. The second order of priority is then for all the rest of the members of the Senate to "hear" that message as well as your legislators in the House.

Individual direct web-based emails can be sent through http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rosters/CommitteeMembersByCommittee.aspx?Chamber=S
A list of Senators and their non-web email address is at https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Default.aspx?Chamber=S
The in-state toll-free Hotline number for those wanting to call their legislators is 800.562.6000.

The 22 members of the Senate Ways & Means Committee are:

Senator Margarita Prentice (Chair)
Senator Karen Fraser (Vice-Chair, Capital Budget)
Senator Rodney Tom (Vice Chair, Operating Budget - author of the merger effort)
Senator Joseph Zarelli (Ranking Minority)
Senator Dale Brandland
Senator Mike Carrell
Senator Darlene Fairley
Senator Mike Hewitt
Senator Steve Hobbs
Senator Jim Honeyford
Senator Karen Keiser
Senator Adam Kline
Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles
Senator Joe McDermott
Senator Ed Murray
Senator Eric Oemig
Senator Linda Evans Parlette
Senator Cheryl Pflug
Senator Craig Pridemore
Senator Debbie Regala
Senator Phil Rockefeller
Senator Mark Schoesler

Edited by bushbear (02/24/10 12:09 PM)

#583771 - 02/24/10 11:39 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: bushbear]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
I just sent my comments to Senator Karen Keiser, 33rd Dist anent this matter with a copy to my Reps.

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#583800 - 02/24/10 12:59 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Phoenix77]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

My recollection from the session last year is that Chair Prentice is no friend to our fish and wildlife interests. My Senator - Fraser - surrounds herself only with those who agree; she won't return phone calls, emails, or agree to meet. She's a Dem in a liberal town and knows she won't be defeated. Makes my blood boil.

Sg

#583812 - 02/24/10 01:18 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Salmo g.]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

E-mails sent

#583844 - 02/24/10 02:49 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer o [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Remember that Senator Parlette sponsored the legislation establishing the Columbia River endorsement so I would expect her to be supportive of WDFW.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#583863 - 02/24/10 03:39 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer o [Re: Larry B]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.

SENATE BILL 6813
My email to the legislators, fire away folks.........

Please oppose this and any Bill like it. THIS CONTINUAL ASSAULT ON FISHING AND HUNTING MUST STOP. It takes programs years to have positive effects on fish and wildlife and that is why sportsmen came up with Referandum 45. Years ago, fish and wildlife programs started and stopped with each new administration. Fish and wildlife programs need to be run by the best available science and not political whim. For the most part sportsmen are willing to pay their way, please leave the money where it was put. This may be a time to reduce the size and scope of our state government work force and benefits. If the tax bills presently in front of our lawmakers were all passed, we would be the most heavily taxed state in the nation. Is that what Olympia wants to leave for their children? Tighten your belt like I have to, I can guarantee you there is no new funding suddenly coming into my life.

Edited by N W Panhandler (02/24/10 03:40 PM)

#583900 - 02/24/10 05:33 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Originally Posted By: steelspanker
You can also voice your opposition via a one-click link sent this morning by CCA. Check your email that is linked to your CCA membership and click away. One click sends an opposition statement to your reps, senator, and gov.

This one? beer

http://www.votervoice.net/Core.aspx?AID=...rgetID=9tQKWWPQ

#584383 - 02/26/10 09:38 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Phoenix77]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Dear Robert-

Thank you very much for your e-mail. I agree with you and do not support SB 6813. I will not support this bill in the Senate.

Always,

Senator Karen Keiser
33rd District of Washington
http://www.sdc.wa.gov/senators/keiser/

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#585071 - 03/01/10 01:14 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Phoenix77]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Done deal.

The merger is officially toast.

Late yesterday evening the Senate Ways and Means Committee adopted an amendment to the 2010 Supplemental Budget that maintains the Department of Fish and Wildlife as a separate entity from the Department of Natural Resources. You will recall CCA Washington issued an action alert to our members a few days ago informing that the earlier version of this budget proposed merging WDFW into DNR.

In response to thousands of e-mails and phone calls from CCA members, supporters and friends, legislators modified this budget to keep WDFW in place.

Thanks to all who answered the call.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#585105 - 03/01/10 08:49 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: eyeFISH]
Fog Ducker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

You're welcome!

FD

#585109 - 03/01/10 09:42 AM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: eyeFISH]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Done deal.

The merger is officially toast.

Late yesterday evening the Senate Ways and Means Committee adopted an amendment to the 2010 Supplemental Budget that maintains the Department of Fish and Wildlife as a separate entity from the Department of Natural Resources. You will recall CCA Washington issued an action alert to our members a few days ago informing that the earlier version of this budget proposed merging WDFW into DNR.

In response to thousands of e-mails and phone calls from CCA members, supporters and friends, legislators modified this budget to keep WDFW in place.

Thanks to all who answered the call.

WDFW is turning the corner and starting to work like intended for the resource. A long ways to go but a start.

Looking at the several threads on 6813 on this Board,
I believe that this is a team victory of Washington sportsman across the state working together to get something accomplished at this level, not once but two times in 2 years. Something that I always wondered if I would see in my lifetime.

It is getting closer to not if, but when, the 1st commercial fishing minded politician is shown to the door at re election time by the Washington State sportsmen voters. moose

#585238 - 03/01/10 05:11 PM Re: WDFW moved under DRN - was SB 6813 whats yer opini [Re: Lucky Louie]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Louie,

I hope to see that some time. It would be quite the relief to see sportsmen all pushing the same direction for a change. A big problem is that fish and wildlife are pretty far down the list of electoral issues for any legislative candidate. It's gonna' be impossible if a candidate has good positions on infrastructure, education, and taxes, but has a negative position on fish and wildlife. Or maybe that's a combination we won't have to worry about.

Sg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |