Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#595253 - 04/15/10 11:34 PM How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last
wilsoncj6 Offline
Fry

Loc: Mt Vernon, WA
I still have some vacuum packed and frozen (obviously) salmon from last July-September. We are about to transfer to Hawaii and I'd like to give some of it away to friends, but I want to make sure it's still good before I do that. I cooked some tonight and I'm still here.

Are you all still eating salmon from last year?

Thanks for the advice!

Brett

#595254 - 04/15/10 11:45 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: wilsoncj6]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
i had some from last october the other night still good

#595255 - 04/15/10 11:50 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: larryb]
riverdick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: around the next bend
Might not be the full nutritional pack that it was but it definetly wont hurt you.

#595265 - 04/16/10 12:24 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: riverdick]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
If it is properly sealed when vacuum packing it will be OK up to a year.

Sometimes the seal doesn't hold well and it can get freezer burned, but otherwise it should be fine.

If it were Black Rockfish, it wouldn't last more than three months because they get very strong flavored if frozen very long, even when vacuum packed.

#595282 - 04/16/10 01:30 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Sebastes]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Should be fine. We're finishing up last years catch, too. If your friends have a smoker, that is another way to take care of the meat.

Thanks for your service. Hope Hawaii is a nice station. No salmon or steelhead fishing, though.

#595285 - 04/16/10 02:06 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: bushbear]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Personally, I think the flavor starts to deteriorate a little after a month or two. After 6 months, it's a lot more noticible. After that, it's not fit for a seafood connoisseur. That said, I'm sure a lot has to do with your freezer temp and how well sealed the package is.

#595286 - 04/16/10 02:17 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Wild Chrome]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I had a springer still after a year and it was still good. I would recommend a quick thaw, like warm water in a large pot. Not two days.
Too warm for too long will begin to cook the fish in the bag.

#595301 - 04/16/10 09:21 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: wilsoncj6]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I smoked up the last of my last season salmon two weeks ago. Was OK.....not like fresh, but good enough that those at work gobbled it right up......(rookies... smile )

#595309 - 04/16/10 10:33 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: ParaLeaks]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Same here I clean out the remaining this time of year, smoke it up and make a ton of smoked salmon spread to give away.

#595327 - 04/16/10 11:58 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: stlhead]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

I vacum pack mine and even after a couple months I think the fish smells strong and looses it's texture. Why is that? Am I not getting the slime off the skin good, or should I skin them before freezing?

#595335 - 04/16/10 12:53 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Waterboy]
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
My experience is that antime the flesh is exposed, even if fillets are vacuum packed immediately, freezer longevity is limited.

Last year on my Canada trip I headed and gutted my salmon, then froze whole. After returning, I removed the fish from the freezer, dipped them in ice water, and then refroze, compelting this several times until the entire fish was encased in a solid coating of ice. Commercially flash-frozen fish goes through a similar process.. If defrosted slowly in a water bath, these fish, even after 6-8 months of freezer time, are almost next-day fresh, with no discoloration, flesh softness, or that "old" odor that usually accompanies long-frozen salmon.

Downside is that you end up with a lot of fish each defrost. I usually eat a couple meals, then smoke up the rest.

#595336 - 04/16/10 12:59 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Waterboy]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Waterboy
I vacum pack mine and even after a couple months I think the fish smells strong and looses it's texture. Why is that? Am I not getting the slime off the skin good, or should I skin them before freezing?

The fat in salmon breaks down even while frozen, the colder a freezer is the longer the breakdown takes.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#595337 - 04/16/10 01:00 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Chip Goodhue]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Hey Chip,
do you wrap the fish in anything or just use the ice for protection?
Fish tha has been in my freezer for longer than 2 months is smoker fish. Fish in my freezer for longer than 6 months is shrimp/crab bait.
Neal

#595346 - 04/16/10 02:19 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Neal M]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma

Fish frozen for several months can be soaked in whole milk overnight. The freezer smell goes away. If Parker could post he would also be telling you that. There are some posts in the archive about it. It really does help.

#595358 - 04/16/10 03:21 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: milt roe]
tinmanxx Offline
Fry

Loc: United States
It all depends on how it was preped and frozen. No water on the flesh side of the fillet and freeze quickly. I freeze all mine in a flash freezer solid in 10 minutes or less.

#595423 - 04/16/10 11:20 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: tinmanxx]
tailout terror
Unregistered

After several seasons of loading up the freezer with summers and coho, I've slowly realized that freezing the fish in large steaks is the ticket. The skin and "unexposed" meat tend to last much longer than fillets. I simply thaw and then fillet. Some spring chinook from 08 was consumed over christmas and was still excellent while the filleted portions were garbage. This summer I intend on freezing my summers and summer kings whole (head and tail gone).

#595424 - 04/16/10 11:37 PM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Along the same lines as Chip suggested, I received a whole frozen fish from an in-law that was frozen in a way I had never seen before....whole....I mean whole....head,guts, feathers, the whole works. Not kidding. The fish when thawed was absolutely fresh tasting. I attributed it to the fact that no flesh was exposed. I never used the technique myself, as it just takes up too much room, but I can tell you that it works. As a kid, my Mom used to freeze the trout we caught in a coffee can filled with water.....same idea....kept for very long times in the freezer with no burn and was fresh tasting when finally drug out and thawed.
I'm convinced that keeping the flesh covered in it's skin really helps preserve the flavor.

#595428 - 04/17/10 12:04 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: ParaLeaks]
mutinyman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: south whidbey
freeze then vacuum pack. will last all year

#595436 - 04/17/10 12:35 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Wild Chrome]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Originally Posted By: Wild Chrome
Personally, I think the flavor starts to deteriorate a little after a month or two. After 6 months, it's a lot more noticible. After that, it's not fit for a seafood connoisseur. That said, I'm sure a lot has to do with your freezer temp and how well sealed the package is.

It seems to be best within that 6 mos frame, but I have eaten "good," not great, stuff out to almost 2 years.

If it lasts more than 6 mos, you are way , way, way, past the "Need To Go Fishing!"
"Honey, we need fish!"

#595442 - 04/17/10 01:15 AM Re: How long will vacuum packed and frozen salmon last [Re: Doctor Rick]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I took a few leftover packs of king from last June and smoked them last week, they had that freezer smell but no burn, finished product came out good. Not like fresh obviously, but still what I would consider good and I am highly critical of my product. I have some coho from last fall that needs to go next, thinner and less oil, they are more succeptible to freezer burn even while vacuum sealed. I always make sure to poke a hole in the bag before I thaw it so it retains the moisture and oil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |