LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#595440 - 04/17/10 01:09 AM Bank Fishing Tips anyone?
springerfever Offline
Egg

Loc: NW Oregon
Well I am one of the unfortunate souls that doesn't have a boat. I love fishing too much to not do it though! All the articles I find are always a reference to boat fishing. This can be aggravating from a bank fisherman's point of view. Anyone got any tips for a bank angler? I usually plunk for Salmon and Steelhead on the Kalama and Cowlitz. I have tried drift, and float fishing but never had much luck. Plunking has always seemed to work for me, but not always. For example today I was plunking and had no luck! The boats out in the Columbia seemed to do very well though. I would say they were 1000 yard from the bank I was plunking. Why would this happen I am at the mouth where the fish are passing by. I am also fishing the channel they are running in. I guess I'm just not using the right colors or size spin n glo's. I use a size 3 should I go bigger? I have heard greens are the colors to use but have had no luck with them! Any tips?

#595461 - 04/17/10 12:06 PM Re: Bank Fishing Tips anyone? [Re: springerfever]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
plunking can be extremely productive for spring chinook. My advise to you would be to search for another spot to fish. just because you see boats catching them there does not mean it will be a productive bank spot.

In fact, I have a boat and I will be bank fishing tomorrow. A few people I know are boating into a spot and then plunking. the catch rates have been nothing short of phenomamal. why battle davis bar when you can chill on the bank and have better odds of catching one??

as far as gear. spinglos and cured prawns (egg cure them)

#595470 - 04/17/10 01:06 PM Re: Bank Fishing Tips anyone? [Re: big moby]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
spring, keep in mind there is a bruttal learning curve in anykind of steelhead/salmon fishing. the biggest thing is being where fish are, then fishing them in the correct fashion. meaning what will be the best option. i'm 44, been salmon fishing since 13. and still own now boat. in my younger early years, simple observation of successfull anglers was the ticket. then talking with them and asking polite questions, i was often given the much more needed important stuff. which when followed just as they suggested, produced fish. i'd also suggest doing alot of "subject searches" on topics 1st, before asking about whats the best anything..... there is alot of pre talked subjects on this site.

#595474 - 04/17/10 02:30 PM Re: Bank Fishing Tips anyone? [Re: Brewer]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I don't fish those rivers,more skagit/fraser for me but it's probably generally the same. the key to plunking is finding a travel lane the fish use and dropping right into it. A change of a few feet can make a big difference. Find a deep slot close to the bank or gradually sloping drop off of a submerged bar just below a bend in the river. Top producing gear for me is spinglow size 2 or 4 in green pirate or metallic gold chartreuse /mylar wings with fresh sand shrimp.

#596253 - 04/22/10 12:02 AM Re: Bank Fishing Tips anyone? [Re: Keta]
springerfever Offline
Egg

Loc: NW Oregon
Awesome thanks for the help guys!

#596269 - 04/22/10 01:17 AM Re: Bank Fishing Tips anyone? [Re: springerfever]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: springerfever
Well I am one of the unfortunate souls that doesn't have a boat. I love fishing too much to not do it though! All the articles I find are always a reference to boat fishing. This can be aggravating from a bank fisherman's point of view. Anyone got any tips for a bank angler? I usually plunk for Salmon and Steelhead on the Kalama and Cowlitz. I have tried drift, and float fishing but never had much luck. Plunking has always seemed to work for me, but not always. For example today I was plunking and had no luck! The boats out in the Columbia seemed to do very well though. I would say they were 1000 yard from the bank I was plunking. Why would this happen I am at the mouth where the fish are passing by. I am also fishing the channel they are running in. I guess I'm just not using the right colors or size spin n glo's. I use a size 3 should I go bigger? I have heard greens are the colors to use but have had no luck with them! Any tips?

I don't plunk much, but I would say that making sure that your gear isn't laying on the bottom is far more important than worrying about Spin-N-Glo size.

Sounds like you found a productive area....when someone lands a fish cruise over and have a look at his lead size, dropper length and leader length.
Also I've seen where using a second rig can be effective. Get your gear out and locked up, then clip on a leader with Kwikfish, prawn rig etc down your mainline set up so it stops against a bead above your swivel.

With one rig you're never 100% sure that you didn't foul on the way out.
With the two rig set-up you can feel more confident that you have a presentation that is working esp. if you are using something that imparts action like a Kwik. Your rod tip will tell you that it's working.....or not.

For a fast education on plunking technique go to the top producing spots on the Willamette which are The Blacktop (just below the Clack), Dahl Beach (just below TB), Meldrum Bar (just below DB). All on the east side of the river in Gladstone. Now is the time to go to these places.

I see that you hail from NW Oregon. The next Springer fishery to take off is Tillamook Bay and the Trask river. The locals get overrun in the fall and they like to keep this spring fishery as quiet as possible.
Fishing the Trask from the bank for Springers is best done with sliding bobber and bait or you can driftfish.
Try Loren's drift with bobber and eggs.....get to know some of the farmers and get to fish more spots.

Some basic info:
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_map_06_OR_Trask_River

Good luck !

Edited by Direct-Drive (04/22/10 01:23 AM)

#596363 - 04/22/10 05:54 PM Re: Bank Fishing Tips anyone? [Re: Direct-Drive]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
if you plan on fishing for springers on the trask bring a good dose of patients with you.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |