Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#596202 - 04/21/10 08:54 PM Sea King Trailers
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Any views on Sea King Trailers vs. EZ Loader?

#596218 - 04/21/10 09:28 PM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: cohobankie]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
If your talking about King trailers they are built right in Marysville, not sure about the others but when I had a small problem I just went right to the plant and they took care of it right there, no appointment no problem.

Not sure about the others.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#596248 - 04/21/10 11:49 PM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the reply yes King trailers. The boat country guy Tim was, well a sales guy and was talking them up. I need a new trailer and well might as well buy local and support those guys. I am sure they pump out a quality product.

#596249 - 04/21/10 11:53 PM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: cohobankie]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
The lights (at least the ones they used 7-8 years ago) are cheap crap. Other than that, mine's held up pretty well.

#596256 - 04/22/10 12:16 AM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: milt roe]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks Milt Roe, i can handle cheap crap lights they are cheap the rest of the trailer is more important. Rust is a bigger issue.

#596257 - 04/22/10 12:16 AM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: milt roe]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Trailer lights have always been a pain for me. Last year, I replaced the OEM lights on my EZ Loader with the Optronics LED set-up. Bought the kit from a local auto parts store, but Cabela's carries them too. Don't know why I waited so long to make the switch. A little spendy on the front end, but I haven't had to change a bulb, check connections....well worth the investment.

#596262 - 04/22/10 12:27 AM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: cohobankie]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
I've got a 2003 King under my Lund. I'm not that impressed. I've pretty much replaced everything on the trailer. Bunks,brackets,lights,wiring,winch,etc.

Definately not holding up as well as the EZ loader under my North River or the Rogue that was under my Alumaweld.

I don't think they make Calkins anymore,but it was better than the King as well.

I wouldn't buy another King.

#596271 - 04/22/10 01:29 AM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: SundayMoney]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
King Trailer has worked for me, 9 years, no major problems. Did replace the light with "led lites", bought on EBAY for $24.00. I don't go far, but I go lot's......no rust, like having the assembly plant in Maryville.

I've had 3 other brands of boat trailers, all were painted.....this King trailer is galvanized, that is a major plus.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#596275 - 04/22/10 02:46 AM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: DrifterWA]
mutinyman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: south whidbey
I went from the carpet bunks to the plastic slicks and went through King. Drove right out to the plant and they were a good fit and are a super improvement. Saw the plant and seems to be a well run outfit

#596278 - 04/22/10 04:14 AM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: mutinyman]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

coho, I dont have experience with king. The units Ive seen look fine. I think its important to get the right trailer for the boat. I have an eZ loader.

I think the companies build frames to fit a bracket of boats. Where you run into trouble is buying too little trailer for the boat you have. If for instance, you have a short parking area and need a hinged tongue, not all the trailer tongues are thick enough to support a hinge.

Some boats could be put on a single axle trailer, while a dual is really the better choice. I suspect the brakes option is a important consideration.

Similar considerations that are used when buying the right truck for the job.

#596280 - 04/22/10 07:39 AM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: Fast and Furious]
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
I've got a EZ Loader and I'm really happy with it!
EZ's yard is in Maltby which gives you an excuse to go the Maltby Cafe...

The oil bath bearings are a big comfort when trailering to the San Juans or the Columbia.
Just a walk by and a quick glance tells you that your bearings are oily and happy...

Mine came with LED light stock and I've not had any trouble with them at all.

One question though: If you're happy your trailer's yard is close to where you live... What does that say about that trailer?

Edited by TJN (04/22/10 07:41 AM)

#596314 - 04/22/10 12:53 PM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: TJN]
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
just replaced my old EZ loader with a new King, really like it. I am not sold on the oil bath hubs on boat trailers that get dunked in water, especially if the they are still warm. I have seen bearings with grease burn up, but that is usually due to neglect of maintance. I have also seen truck trailer bearings with oil bath hubs burn up, one little crack in the cover and all the oil is gone. The guys at boat country told me my lights are waranteed for life (I hate boat lights and working on them, so this was a plus for me).

#596340 - 04/22/10 02:37 PM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: baddawg]
Keeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I bought a King galvanized trailer new in 2005 and after a year the lights were out and all the u-bolts/nuts were rusted up. I had to replace both tires also. They went flat on the gravel int he driveway. It was a good price, but get the LED light pack right away. If your just in fresh water, it may not matter. Yes, I rinsed it after every dunk when I got home.

I now have a Karavan which is awesome. I got it when bayliner went out of business. They are made int eh midwest. Swing tounge is way beefier than the King. It has a special grease routing for the bearings thats better than buddy bearings casue the grease goes to the inbd bearing and gets pushed back at you. It came with LED lights and all connections were shrinked. The bunk brackets were way stronger looking and all the non galvanized hardware was yellow zinked and lubed up. Tires were radial and decent but thats what it is. The bunk carpet was a little better and after 2 years looks like new. I hosed everything including the springs with LPS 3 (poured it into a pray bottle) after the king experience. The disk brake setup was a snap to beleed also (came with no fluid).

I like king and would buy another because their cheap but be prepared
to prep it out and change out some parts to make it last.

GREASE TALK:

Most people may already know this but not all bearing greases are compatible so make sure your using the correct grease base in your bearing. Most marine is aluminum complex base and if you mix a lithium with aluminum for example, it will turn to oil and loose lube properties. I love the blue bel ray waterproof for eveything including my dirtbike bearings, but thats my deal.

Heres a link to an article on grease compatability. Most marine greases including Shell, Textron and Napa (BTW same blue grease available at Action Auto parts for cheaper than Napa) are aluminum complex, but its up to you to read up or figure out what came in your trailer.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1865/grease-compatibility

Good luck,

Dave

#596352 - 04/22/10 03:46 PM Re: Sea King Trailers [Re: Keeper]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Gettin' the ez loader. There was an order cancel from last year 09' so its cheaper for the same trailer.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (20 Gage, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 543 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |