THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#594057 - 04/10/10 08:54 PM The Ultimate Hangback (vid)
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

For a while now I've been advocating the merits of the hangback rigging for salmon trolling.

Finally came across an underwater video of a coho caught on "bare" hooks. I gotta admit the video was never actually intended to be a demo of my hangback technique. In fact, the hooks are actually rigged in standard, closely spaced mooching fashion. But just keep watching because the video goes on to demonstrate the ultimate hangback "floss job" of the same over-achieving kamikaze coho that gets caught with an EXTREMELY exaggerated "hangback" of about 3 ft.

I've tried to explain the mechanics of hangback "flossing" on willful biters numerous times to people who still don't get it, or flat out REFUSE to believe that's really how it works. See for yourself! A moving picture is worth a bazillion words!

Watch as a couple of small jack kings take a stab at the trolled dodger and herring combo.... first swiping at the dodger, then repeatedly at the over-sized herring (well, over-sized for the jack).

Then along comes the adult coho for its shot. Notice how the salmon follows from behind, but when it finally decides to make its assault, it lunges forward off to one side and slashes at the bait from the right side of your screen, then it swims off with the bait. It doesn't get hooked because from the coho's chosen approach, the business end of the mooching rig was literally "shielded" by the bait. Not only does the coho NOT get hooked, but it strips the bait from the hooks altogether. DANG! Had the coho approached from the opposite side, it probably would have been hooked.

(NOTE: Had that herring been rigged "hangback" with a fully exposed trailer hook, that fish could have been hooked from EITHER approach!)

But all is not lost! Notice how without the restrictive heavy load of the stolen herring, the dodger's kicking action suddenly comes to full life. Mr. Overachiever Coho is now stimulated into another attack on the bare dodger!

He comes back for a look at the tantalizing dance of bent metal, and curiously bumps the dodger to size it up. Comes back for a second look and gives it a tentative nip to see what it's really made of. Then he decides, "Holy smokes that thing is still kicking.... I'm gonna show it who's boss!" Coho lunges forward one last time and bolts at the dodger with a full broadside assault, once again from the right side of your screen.

As the flat smooth plate of hookless trolled metal slips out of Mr Coho's jaws, he gets "flossed" by the trailing leader. With coho broadside to the axis of the troll path, it takes less than a second for three feet of leader to slide thru his jaws.... only to have the bare mooching hook end up skewering him in the hinge of the jaw from the outside in. Incredible footage and a perfect video demo of the mechanics of my hangback technique!

http://muttleycrewfishing.com/web_media/coho_gets_hooked_by_bare_hook_after_stealing_herring.wmv

I played with hangback spoons in my swimming pool a few months ago thinking that would be a really good way to rig Coyotes and North Point Nailers for ocean trolling. This video is proof in my eyes that it will be absolutely killer!

Remember the ultimate merits of hangback rigging are for the benefit of the fish! Outside in eliminates the risk of mortal vascular hookups thru the tongue and/or gill arches. It also results in the most easily accessible hookup site to easily and instantly release that fish with an elegant no-touch technique.

For the sake of the fish... just do it!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#594065 - 04/10/10 09:58 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
...and how far back off a spoon would you run the leader/hook set-up...

#594069 - 04/10/10 11:22 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I had my spoons rigged with a 4-5" trailer.

The vid just affirms that it can be a lot LONGER than that and still work just fine!

Someone on Ifish postulated that this might be the mechanism for the Lake WA sockeye fishery. Never done it, but I'm curious to know if veterans of the fishery have ever noticed if the fish are hooked outside in?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#594071 - 04/10/10 11:35 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Maybe it's also the mechanism for the "magic" beads that folks troll at Neah and Sekiu.

what

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#594072 - 04/10/10 11:38 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
cool vid but it's miss titled. that's a King rofl

banana

off

jack

Hang backs rule.

#594079 - 04/11/10 12:34 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: Achewter]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Think I'll rig something up for the salmon seasons. I have a couple of the new Brad's Cut Plugs and may tie up a hang back on one of them. When mooching, I'll let the trailing hook dangle, but usually not too far past the tail. Guess I'll lengthen that set-up, too.

#594081 - 04/11/10 01:08 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: bushbear]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
From my experience, hang backs are almost 100% effective.

#594084 - 04/11/10 07:28 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: fish4brains]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

that fish wanted that thing know matter what..

mainly region 6

#594094 - 04/11/10 12:09 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: steely slammer]
hambone Offline
Egg

What a learning experience...... Thanks for posting..........H

#594095 - 04/11/10 12:11 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: steely slammer]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Doc,
We were fishing B.C. king a few years ago, and the lodge provided these huge herring for bait. I tied up 100 leaders for the group with a hang-back hook for these large herring. We ran out of big bait, and the supply barge brought in a much smaller bait for the lodge. Hook-ups went way up with a longer hang-back, with the hook set you describe. Because of the bait or because of the hook???, but I tie all hang back now and the results have been good. With the bigger bait the hooks can be 16" apart. Might try more space based on your video.

Also, the teeth on those kings can raise hell on a leader. Outside-In-hookups relieve leader wear, the front hook often imbeds elsewhere during the fight, and if it helps the lost or released fish, "JUST DO IT!"

#594126 - 04/11/10 06:46 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: ned]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Thanks for the feedback, ned.

The one drawback as you start to lengthen that trailer back there is just like as you said. The top hook will often stick in the most exposed/convenient spot.

For me, with a 8-9" hangback it's the pec fin on a 20-30# king. Trailer sticks in the max plate, but if the fish turns just right during the fight, the top hook will find that exposed "wing" on the same side. Makes the fight a bit tougher as it becomes very difficult to turn a fish "off axis" so to speak. Fish tends to come in doing the mega spiral of a whole bait herring.

With an even longer hangback, I've occasionally also managed to find the ventral fin on smallish coho with the top hook. I would think that 16" of hangback would have that occurring more frequently with med-large coho, and smallish kings as well.

I'd recommend you hang that hook back just far enough that you KNOW it stays just outside the mouth on the biggest fish you are likely to encounter.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#594130 - 04/11/10 08:38 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
tinmanxx Offline
Fry

Loc: United States
I tried the hang back hook last year at Westport mooching. It seemed we just left one more hook in the fish that took it deep. Maybe trolling or hoochies might be different but with bait they seemed to just take the third hook even deeper.

#594132 - 04/11/10 09:30 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: tinmanxx]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Three hooks?

That must be the obvious difference. I've only ever rigged with two.

The front hook is just there to tow the bait... in my experience, it rarely ever catches the fish. It's just basically there to hold the bait.

It's infinitely more likely that the second hook is the one that's gonna catch the fish. If tied short with the trailing hook placed within or alongside the bait (ahead of the tail), that hook is also gonna get taken deep when Mr Salmon tries to ingest your bait. That's where the standard mooching rig is going to incur the lion's share of mortal bleeders. Hanging the hook back well beyond the tail ensures the second hook is almost NEVER taken within the fish's mouth.

Going to a third "hangback" hook really isn't a hangback rigging at all.... it's just another hook added to an already lethal standard mooching rig.

Bottom line, the key to not mortally wounding fish when fishing ANY type of bait is to NOT bait the hook that is going to catch the fish.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#594140 - 04/11/10 11:06 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: ned]
madcapmag Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Issaquah WA
Cool video!

Are the mechanics different with a flasher? It seems like the dodger only moves the line in 1 plane. With a flasher moving the line in 2 because of the full rotation, how would you compensate? Or, does it not matter, as the fish will keep attacking until it gets "lucky" and flosses itself?

#594157 - 04/12/10 01:36 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: madcapmag]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Thanks for posting that. I am definitely going to give it a go. Looks like it will make releasing those native coho a lot easier.

#594309 - 04/12/10 09:08 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
I always knew you were a flosser at heart Doc...

Isn't this essentially how all Lake WA sockeye are caught, by flossing 'em with a single hook?
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Three hooks?

Is using three single hooks legal?

Ike

#596746 - 04/25/10 03:15 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: Achewter]
Coho Dave Offline
Egg

Originally Posted By: Achewter
cool vid but it's miss titled. that's a King

LOL! Hmmmm. I've been fishing in Alaska now for almost 20 years and have caught a lot of salmon and that one was definitely a silver. At least it was when I got it in the boat.

I find this thread quite amusing since I shot the video. Did any of you ever think about contacting me to ask me what method was used.

Not to be disparaging, Doc, but the rear hook point is totally exposed. It sticks out of the herring on the bottom just in front of the tail. That particular day I was using herring that had been thawed for a couple of days (don't ask!) and it just wasn't staying on my hooks very well. The silver just happened to knock it off and then came back for more. Thankfully.

I've watched about 100 videos like this that I've shot over the last 10 years or so and that is the place that is most likely to catch silvers other than the front hook. I have found that leaving the trailing hook totally exposed just doesn't work quite as well since silvers that I've seen on my videos often times hit the herring from the side and a "hang back" hook misses those aggressive strikes. Also, I don't know about Washington and Oregon, but here in K-Bay and Cook Inlet there are rules regarding snagging fish. I'd rather miss one than have to release one that I caught in the belly.

If anyone has any questions about my videos please feel free to contact me. I'm more than happy to discuss them.

Edited by Coho Dave (04/25/10 03:33 AM)

#596747 - 04/25/10 03:19 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
Coho Dave Offline
Egg

Three hooks?

The front hook is just there to tow the bait... in my experience, it rarely ever catches the fish. It's just basically there to hold the bait.

It's infinitely more likely that the second hook is the one that's gonna catch the fish.

Sorry to dispute this, but in my experience the front hook catches about 90% of the fish I bring into my boat. The trailing hook is usually in the fish's throat with the rest of the herring.

#596748 - 04/25/10 04:29 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: Coho Dave]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Coho Dave

Not to be disparaging, Doc, but the rear hook point is totally exposed. It sticks out of the herring on the bottom just in front of the tail. That particular day I was using herring that had been thawed for a couple of days (don't ask!) and it just wasn't staying on my hooks very well. The silver just happened to knock it off and then came back for more. Thankfully.

I've watched about 100 videos like this that I've shot over the last 10 years or so and that is the place that is most likely to catch silvers other than the front hook. I have found that leaving the trailing hook totally exposed just doesn't work quite as well since silvers that I've seen on my videos often times hit the herring from the side and a "hang back" hook misses those aggressive strikes. Also, I don't know about Washington and Oregon, but here in K-Bay and Cook Inlet there are rules regarding snagging fish. I'd rather miss one than have to release one that I caught in the belly.

I think you're missing the point about hangback, Dave.

Your short-spaced hooks are definitely NOT the "hangback' style I am referring to. If the spacing of hooks fall within the full length of the bait, the hooks will be ingested just as you describe. The hookup will be inside out and highly likely to be deep.

The hangback technique I promote fully exposes the trailing hook COMPLETELY behind the bait with the express intent of hooking that fish from the outside in with the trailing hook.

We have rules in WA against snagging, too. Willful take is the first and utmost requirement.... followed by anywhere in the head.

That last pic is definitely an exceptional hookup, but I use it only to make a point about a legal WA hookup on a willful biter. 95%-plus of all the biters I hook are "flossed" with the LONG trailing hook (just like the coho in your video) and end up hooked from the outside in somewhere in the maxilla or mandible.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#596752 - 04/25/10 10:16 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I had my spoons rigged with a 4-5" trailer.

The vid just affirms that it can be a lot LONGER than that and still work just fine!

Someone on Ifish postulated that this might be the mechanism for the Lake WA sockeye fishery. Never done it, but I'm curious to know if veterans of the fishery have ever noticed if the fish are hooked outside in?

I too have an under water camera, I think I picked it up about 15 years ago and I can say for sure that flossing is not what happens with Lake Washington Sockeye, but there are many misconceptions on the set up.

Sockeye will follow the hooks, not the dodger, in fact I've never seen one attack the dodger. Up to five or six will come up behind the hook and at times each will take a turn at tasting it, they will swim up, take the hook in their mouth, hold it for split second and then spit it out and you will never know it happened without the camera.

The reason for the short leader is because at the very slow speed used for these fish the dodger doesn't move much, this results in little movement of the hooks. The only reason they get hooked is because the hook moves and pokes them, then comes the head shake and hook set. With a long leader just as many fish took the hook into their mouths, but the hook never moved, or if it did it was too little and too late, with a short leader the hook moves much more, resulting in the hook set.

Sometimes we watch the camera and hold the rod, as the fish just starts to take the hook into its mouth you pull, this improves the hook up rate.

I have not used the camera on lake Sammamish Kings, but I use the same bare hook rig and they seem to be hooked in the mouth.

Most salmon will bump into the camera and show no concern for it, but steelhead will stay clear, at least I've never been able to get one to come after a bait with a camera close enough to see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1040 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |