LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#600153 - 05/17/10 01:23 PM Turkey down!!
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Last Friday I got off work early and ran to a local fun store to order a new 20 MOA rail and some new scope rings for my Model 700. As I was leaving a buddy of mine drove by and saw me. He called and asked if I wanted to go on a problem pigeon slaying trip when he got off work. I said "sure". He told me to toss in a shot gun in case we saw a Turkey.

We meet up after he gets through with work and run out to the killing fields. We proceed to smoke about 30 Pigeons. I was using my AR15 and he was using his .243. We spooked them out of the barn and when they would land in some nearby tree's we we shoot them. The surviving Pigeons must have been the smart ones because they stayed out of range.

As we were shooting the pigeons I spotted a coupe grey diggers running around the side of the barn. We grabbed the .22's and walked over to see if we could kill a couple. The barn has a couple combines in it and the diggers were getting inside of them. I beat on the side of the combine a couple time and we here a Turkey gobble up on the hill about 200 yards away. So we run back to the truck and I grab the shot gun and up the hill we went. Neither one of us had any came on so we set up in the middle of a big brush pile and called. Nothing responded to the call. So we moved up the hill closer to where we heard the gobble. This time we got a response, Just a couple gobbles. The bird wasnt budging. WE decided to sneak closer and try calling again. This time he was really getting after it gobbling. Then we heard some hens with him. Then another bird was gobbling, Then another. We had 3 birds going. But, none of them wanted to come in.

I got tired of the whole situation and decided to belly crawl closer. I had to crawl about 60 yards to the top of a little rise while my friend kept up on the call. On the top of the rise there was one small stump. I made my way to it. As I get within 10 yards of the stump I could see a couple hens about 50 yards beyond the stump. I just knew they were going to bust me. Some how I made it to the stump unseen. As I get there I could see 12 birds. I slowly put the gun up on the stump then I raised up to get a better view. Just as I raised up one the birds started strutting. I judged the distance at 40 yards. I put the bead on his head and went up a few inches and touched of the 3 1/2 #4 Turkey Nitro. It flattened that bird right now! The rest of the birds all took off out of the country.

It was just a bigger jake. But I dont care. It was my first Turkey and that was my last chance to get one for the season. I felt is was a good hunt. I didnt get it to come to a call. But it was a great stalk.

After killing the Turkey we went back to shooting a a couple grey diggers and some more barn rats. I thought it was a pretty good day.

The bird and one of the diggers. (shitty cell phone pic)

The day started off good for my friend. Before he went to work he killed a coyote in his front yard. He shot from his front door wearing nothing but his boxers....

Edited by willierower (05/17/10 01:23 PM)

#600295 - 05/17/10 11:00 PM Re: Turkey down!! [Re: willierower]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Originally Posted By: willierower
He shot from his front door wearing nothing but his boxers....

No pic's of that?

Thank you very much.

rofl

Rusty Bell

#600316 - 05/18/10 01:58 AM Re: Turkey down!! [Re: sykofish]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
No offense but this sounds like a story you would read in a hunters safety class then discuss afterward.

#600373 - 05/18/10 01:02 PM Re: Turkey down!! [Re: Achewter]
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Originally Posted By: Achewter
No offense but this sounds like a story you would read in a hunters safety class then discuss afterward.

Why would you say that? Is it because we were shooting pigeons from a tree with rifles? There was a good back stop behind the trees. It is pretty much a whole mountain with a clear cut. Plus it is all on private property with no neighbors around.

Or was it something else? Just curious.

#600375 - 05/18/10 01:12 PM Re: Turkey down!! [Re: willierower]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Trees with rifles for me. Back stop makes it better.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#600419 - 05/18/10 03:59 PM Re: Turkey down!! [Re: Dogfish]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
A little better with the backstop, kinda. Still, the lead has to come down somewhere. . . . . . Hopefully not through somebodies deck. . . . . were you shooting out a window?

Nice work on the Turkey ! !

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1040 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645363 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |