Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#601250 - 05/21/10 10:28 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ReiterRat]
bobbymcph Offline
Smolt

Loc: lynnwood, wa
Just got asked to fish lake stevens tomorrow about 10 minutes ago. is there any place to get an entry this late? Or will they be selling them at the launch? nice timing on my part.

thx

robert

#601278 - 05/21/10 11:58 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: bobbymcph]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Doubtful you will pick up a ticket at this point. See all you crazies at 4:30am
I want to be a fisherman.

#601405 - 05/22/10 11:12 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bellingham
Fished the derby today, had some great laughs and a great time. Enough about that...

The thing that I had began pondering is wondering how long it is going to take before the state let's even this fishery get hosed just like so many others. Like a 10 fish per person limit?

I started thinking, there are a few people that have been pounding this fishery everyday for the last month or so, catching their limits plus their partners are getting their limits as well. So, lets say, each time out (we'll go on the minimum side of things) they get 10 fish. So, in a month, one person gets roughly 200-300 fish depending on how many days they fish. So, if they take someone with them, then it's up to 300-500 fish. Now multiply that by more people, more days, etc....how long will it take for that fishery to be wiped out?

I saw one person today weigh in 46 or 48 fish. They kept absolutely every fish. Why? what is the point? It was a derby for the largest fish and largest limits. Do you think that keeping multiple 8" fish is going to do the trick?

In our boat, we weighed in 19 fish (for 3 of us).

I think that this is another case of the state saying that killing fish is justified, so we have this need to kill more than we need. For some odd reason, everytime this state gets an excess amount of any fish, they turn on the green light for killing. Why don't they ever feel that a surplus of a resource is ever a good thing?

Better yet, why don't we as anglers make wiser choices and do our part to help preserve our fisheries instead of whacking 20-30 or near 50 fish every day?

I don't know, just thinking out loud here....

Maybe I got too much sun today, but it doesn't make sense to me.

#601430 - 05/23/10 12:03 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Thrasher]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
Hey Thrasher, we brought in 47 fish to the weigh in, none were 8 inches but some were small. I just got done eating two of them and filleting the other 45. A 10 incher tastes just the same as a 15 incher.

#601433 - 05/23/10 12:17 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: huntncoug]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: huntncoug
Hey Thrasher, we brought in 47 fish to the weigh in, none were 8 inches but some were small. I just got done eating two of them and filleting the other 45. A 10 incher tastes just the same as a 15 incher.

I didn't know it was you, but perhaps you missed my point. Do we really need to take that many fish? I think that the State ought to revamp the limits.

Seems that the fishery would last longer with a 5 fish limit perhaps?

So, you got 47 today...in one day. If someone has fished this fishery everyday for the last couple of months and bagged 1200 fish...whatchya gonna do with that many?

Just sayin...

#601435 - 05/23/10 12:25 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: huntncoug]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

And another thing, look at page 27 in the Regs it states, "all trout (including Kokanee) when caught while using bait must be counted towards your daily limit" if you caught 60 fish for 3 people you were 2 times over your limit.

Edited by huntncoug (05/23/10 12:30 AM)

#601436 - 05/23/10 12:25 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Thrasher]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snoho County
Better in the cooler then released dead...these fish are extemely fragile and should NOT BE LET GO...JUST SAYIN...AND READ THE REGS TOO IF YOU WERE USING BAIT...YOU WERE ILLEGAL...
425-280-5494

#601437 - 05/23/10 12:32 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Rotten Chum
Better in the cooler then released dead...these fish are extemely fragile and should NOT BE LET GO...JUST SAYIN...AND READ THE REGS TOO IF YOU WERE USING BAIT...YOU WERE ILLEGAL...

obviously a chord has been struck...this wasn't directed at anyone
personally.

And another thing, look at page 27 in the Regs it states, "all trout (including Kokanee) when caught while using bait must be counted towards your daily limit" if you caught 60 fish for 3 people you were 2 times over your limit.

Where did I say I was using bait? spoons aren't illegal nor are wedding bands

still missing my point with a 10 fish limit

#601439 - 05/23/10 12:35 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: huntncoug]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
I hope Curt will weigh in on this as Lake Stevens is one of his home waters and as a retired WDFW fisheries biologist has insight on things that we may not.

Kokanee seem to be very fragile fish. Releasing them may be well intended, but if the mortality rate is high, it may not be the best choice?

If a particular water becomes extremely popular, reducing the daily limit may be an option to preserve or extend that fishery.

Some fisheries are under-utilized, in which case liberal limits may be desirable in that they offer a recreational opportunity in an era when we are seeing more and more restrictions.

It is a tough call.

#601440 - 05/23/10 12:40 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Thrasher]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

I understand what you are saying but we are not talking about native steelhead or salmon or even hatchery salmon or steelhead. These fish are planted in the 10'000's of thousands with the strict purpose of being caught. This fishery has been hammered for the past month or more by people catching 10 fish per person per day and it still was producing in great numbers today at the derby. I dont fish this everyday, in fact this is only the second day I have ever fished it.

#601441 - 05/23/10 12:42 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: huntncoug]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

if you werent fishing with bait then I guess the rule I quoted doesnt apply to you. I just assumed you were becuase everyone we talked to today was either using corn or maggots, especially the people that had more then 10 fish in the boat.

#601442 - 05/23/10 12:42 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Sebastes]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Sebastes

Some fisheries are under-utilized, in which case liberal limits may be desirable in that they offer a recreational opportunity in an era when we are seeing more and more restrictions.

I would love to hear what Curt has to say. That is what I was hoping for. Perhaps some educated insight on that which most of us perhaps do not know all of the facts on.

In an era where we are seeing more restrictions, it seems that having a smaller limit to better utilize the longevity of the resource would seem the best. But, if as you mention, the fragile state of them, maybe then that is the states way of simply saying kill them don't release them?

Who know...that was why I was simply asking in the beginning and asking opinions. I wasn't calling anyone out, they just offered to come forward and felt the need to justify. I was merely asking how we as anglers could justify the killing of this many fish.

#601444 - 05/23/10 12:45 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: huntncoug]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

I understand what you are saying but we are not talking about native steelhead or salmon or even hatchery salmon or steelhead. These fish are planted in the 10'000's of thousands with the strict purpose of being caught. This fishery has been hammered for the past month or more by people catching 10 fish per person per day and it still was producing in great numbers today at the derby. I dont fish this everyday, in fact this is only the second day I have ever fished it.

I understand this...but just because it's been hammered for the past month means little for down the road consequences.

Columbia...

I'm merely wanting to know how the killing #'s can be justified on many levels.

#601449 - 05/23/10 01:04 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
We fished it as well and had an awesome time. Brought home a bunch of stuff that I get to sort out tomorrow. Somehow got labeled the "loudest boat on the lake" rofl

That said ... Thrasher, there are MANY kokanee in the lake. While it seems they get pounded very hard they actually are a very thriving fishery in there. I know what you saying and the intentions are great thumbs but there isn't much to worry about at least on Stevens ...

I didnt get to fill out a ballot, but my vote for loudest boat on the lake would have gone to you guys Chuck! you had us ducking a couple times when we saw the slingshot come out.

#601450 - 05/23/10 01:08 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
We fished it as well and had an awesome time. Brought home a bunch of stuff that I get to sort out tomorrow. Somehow got labeled the "loudest boat on the lake" rofl

That said ... Thrasher, there are MANY kokanee in the lake. While it seems they get pounded very hard they actually are a very thriving fishery in there. I know what you saying and the intentions are great thumbs but there isn't much to worry about at least on Stevens ...

Next time you guys need to get just a little bit closer so our sling shot and corkies could get you. wink

#601540 - 05/23/10 08:01 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: RognSue]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
They say, no photos, it didn't happen, so here is proof.

Sorry, no captions, just too tired after a 2:15 AM wake up call yesterday and a pre-fish lesson a couple of nights before with Rotten Chum, Ondariver, and Espionage Agent Vedder.

It was a fun event, great to see some PP friends and meet a few more.

Thanks Jody for letting me tag along.

Attachments
_DMW2950.jpg

_DMW2915.jpg

_DMW2927.jpg

_DMW3015.jpg

_DMW3033.jpg

_DMW3042.jpg

_DMW3051.jpg

_DMW3056.jpg

#601544 - 05/23/10 08:45 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Sebastes]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

It was an absolutely awesome event.

I was amazed at it's size for a first year event.

The derby organizers did a wonderful job and a big thank you to all of the sponsors......

Dicknite, Three Rivers Marine, Greg's Custom Rods and many more stepped up to the plate big time.

And how can we forget the Master of Ceremonies, Mark Spada.

Great job Mark and all others involved.

#601549 - 05/23/10 09:15 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Hey Thrasher its prime time on the lake for fishing. In a few weeks the presure will drop to nothing and the lake will be covered with skiers and jet skies. Very few limits after that

#601562 - 05/23/10 10:46 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Very fun event overall. I got out on the water at 3:30am. The lines for the launch were very well organized both entering and leaving the lake thanks to everyone for using their heads at the launch!!!

Counted 95 boats on the water at one point and the lake didn't feel crowded at all. We targeted the south end for about an hour looking for a lunker triploid (no luck) and that end of the lake was completely devoid of fisherman.

Thanks to all the sponsors, it was very fun.

Regarding the 10 fish bag; these fish are planted to be harvested. Heavy fishing will not negatively impact the fishery as long as they keep dumping tens of thousands of fry in each year as they have been doing for a long long time.

Tight lines.
I want to be a fisherman.

#601570 - 05/23/10 11:35 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: GodLovesUgly]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
The derby was a great success as far as Sue n I were concerned it was very well run. EVERY Sponsor and Volunteer really stepped up to the plate for this one. We saw more kids w/ BIG SMILES running around and on most of the "big" kids too.
Great to see lots of P.P.ers (new faces and old)
Will look forward to next year, but NO hurry as time fly's by too fast.
RottenChum, HuntnCoug n Sam...Thanks for the fun time !!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 632 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |