THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#601884 - 05/25/10 09:44 PM What's wrong with this picture....
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

and why do we continue to tolerate it?

I got on the Pacific Salmon Commission's website (the body which oversees the treaty with Canada) and this is the latest exploitation data available.

http://www.psc.org/pubs/TCCHINOOK09-3.pdf

Scroll down to page 121 in the actual document (page 129 in the Adobe Reader)

The index stock in the PSC database for coastal WA is the Queets River, about an hour from my house. Exploitation is currently (1999-2007 dataset) running about 60% of adult production. Of the total fish harvested, nearly half are taken in SE-AK (46.3%), 99% of which are troll caught. Between AK and the Canadians, they take more than 7 out of every 10 fish harvested.

Now let's talk ESA. Puget Sound chinook are ESA-listed and comprise a diversity of small local stocks susceptible to outside exploitation. How much of the catch is taken by the outside AK/BC fisheries?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/papers/ps_chinoo...an_11-25-09.pdf

Hoko: 96%

Elwha: 75%

Skagit: 77%

Stillaguamish: 68%

Nooksack: 90%

Bottom line.... 100% of the burden for chinook production, conservation, and recovery falls squarely on local shoulders.... only to have the lion's share of the benefits squandered in distant outside fisheries.

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#601885 - 05/25/10 09:59 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: eyeFISH]
bait dunker Offline
Village Idiot

untill the cowardly politicians stand up and put a stop to this, we will all take it in the shorts.

#601886 - 05/25/10 10:00 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: eyeFISH]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Wowsers.......................................

Keith help

#601894 - 05/25/10 10:28 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: ]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Alaskans:

"You can't tell us how to fish. It's our waters and we'll set our seasons as we see fit!"

OR

"Prove it!"

OR

"But curtailing our fisheries will send our fishing-dependent communities into an economic tailspin.....we need to fish"

I've heard all 3 of these arguments made in the past. B.S. or not, they must carry some weight because the commission(s) still allow this crap to happen.

Pathetic. lame

#601896 - 05/25/10 10:33 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: ]
yelloweye Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Welcome to one of the real problems Doc. Keep educating yourself. You'll understand someday.

#601899 - 05/25/10 10:42 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: yelloweye]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Time and Place is always the first step in Selective fishing, gear type is last.

There's a sucker born every minute

#601902 - 05/25/10 10:51 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: yelloweye]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: yelloweye
Welcome to one of the real problems Doc. Keep educating yourself. You'll understand someday.

Your genuinely enouraging remarks are always welcome, y'eye. slap

Just doing my part to help educate the masses on a well-known issue.

The problem is just so much more tangible for everyone when the officially documented numbers are brought to light.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#601911 - 05/25/10 11:25 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Fawk!

#601912 - 05/25/10 11:43 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: Twitch]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
That's simply aweful!

#601913 - 05/25/10 11:49 PM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
and why do we continue to tolerate it?

I want to fish, so I tolerate it.

What I want to know is HOW they know where these fish are heading?

I assume they are going off wire tags from hatchery fish retained in those areas.

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#601920 - 05/26/10 12:29 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: Jason Y]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Actually I think this treaty was renegotiated with the 30 million WCVI troller buyout..Not sure if it all went through but there predicting alot more kings off the Washington Coast and Columbia this fall.

#601922 - 05/26/10 12:47 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: SBD]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Our latest pay-off to the Canadians was supposed to buy about a million extra kings over the next 10 years.... about 100,000 per year.

When spread over the many drainages contibuting to chinook production up and down the west coast, the impact to any one drainage is pretty small.

It would be nice to allocate those kings to the gravel rather than just exploit them as a simple transfer of harvest from northern fisheries to southern US fisheries. I believe that was the original intent, but the PFMC might eventually have other ideas.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#601924 - 05/26/10 12:49 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: eyeFISH]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Baby Steps I guess, now back to that new dam.. help

#601925 - 05/26/10 12:50 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: eyeFISH]
TwoDogs Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Thanks for noticing one of the real problems. And, the savings from the new chinook annex are real, and discernable, although not enough. And yes, we are passing most of those savings through to escapement.

#601926 - 05/26/10 12:51 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: SBD]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: SBD
Baby Steps I guess, now back to that new dam.. help

Don't get me going again.

#601932 - 05/26/10 01:26 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: Irie]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

The lower 48 states salmon were traded to the Canadians in exchange for taking the Canadian heat off the S.E. AK netters for pounding the hell out of salmon bound for northern B.C. rivers. Backroom deal it was.

#601943 - 05/26/10 08:46 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: ]
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Canadian trollers just finished catching 24,000 kings off WCVI north. I would bet the vast majority of those fish were american bound fish.

#601946 - 05/26/10 10:10 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: Hoghunter]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Doc, don't let some dumb azzes dissuade you from doing what you do as there are lots of people out here that look forward to your comments, suggestions and fact finding.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#601947 - 05/26/10 10:38 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
I've heard that the treaty with B.C. intends for the B.C. commercial trollers to intercept WA/OR bound chinook in exchange for an allowance for the WA non-treaty commercial fishers to get a wack at Fraizer River bound sockeye.

Beezer

#601972 - 05/26/10 11:59 AM Re: What's wrong with this picture.... [Re: Hoghunter]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
In the 20 years I've fished S.E. Ak. I've seen quota's go from somewhere around 450,000 kings in the early 90's to 222,000 this year, I didn't check but I'm guessing it was even lower in 2008 when the AI was really low, around 1.09. The sportfish limits have also gone from 2 a day every day for everyone down to 1 a day 3 for the year for non residents. Two years ago during the low abundance year they completely closed king retention in the middle of the season.
As for the commercial troll fleet, and I'm just speaking on what I've witnessed off POW Is. not all of S.E. (outside POW seems to be a popular place for people to point fingers) the actual king fishery can usually be counted in single digit days, starting July 1st and most years, closed within a week.
If you think its a free for all and everyone is out to rape and pillage the resourse your sadly mistaken. Imo, ADF&G has alot better handle on whats going on in their state then WDFW will ever have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |