LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#600929 - 05/20/10 04:35 PM Raft owners...
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

I'm in the market to buy a raft to add to the fleet before my two and a half week trip this fall, and was wondering if you guys could shed some knowledge on some of your good/bad experiences with them.

Thanks.

#600938 - 05/20/10 04:59 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: Driftfishnw]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I've got an Aire. Nothing but good experiences with it.
I have friends who have Sotar, Maravia and NRS brands. They all like what they have as well.
I think any of these four brands would work well for you.

#600946 - 05/20/10 05:23 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: stonefish]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Tony, I don't know the full extent of your plans, but I don't think you need a real raft for where you are going.

There is a huge difference in price range and functionality of what is out there. You might want to narrow down your selection. There is a world of difference between a cheap Sevylor, an Alpacka, and a 15 foot NRS with a full fishing frame and trailer.

#600948 - 05/20/10 05:31 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Aaron, I'm looking at the whole package. Right now I have it whittled down to NRS, Polaris (B.C.), and Maravia 13'-14'.

No need for the exspensive trailer for me though, I'm just going to use the one for the 'toon.

#600949 - 05/20/10 05:36 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I know a guy who is possibly looking at selling his raft. Nice one. Dblspey on the board here. Might want to shoot him a line.
High end raft I believe and nothing wrong with it.
I think it's an Otter? Last I heard he's 50/50 on selling and it has nothing to do with the raft.

#600951 - 05/20/10 05:39 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: seastrike]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Stam has one that he was thinkin of selling awhile back,not sure on the status of it,but I think it's a maravia.Give'em a shout.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#600965 - 05/20/10 06:14 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: ]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
A pontoon is another option for ya beanburner................

DblSpey's raft is very nice, and totally set up and ready to rock. Trailer is top shelf also, complete with roller on the back.

Anyone would be very happy with that set up for sure.

I've already got a 10' steelheader, but looking for a little more capacity. Also, I hate losing chit in the river when it falls ..

#601063 - 05/21/10 12:19 AM Re: Raft owners... [Re: Driftfishnw]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
My little Puma works perfectly as a water taxi but it's not great to anchor up and fish out of,

fb

#601064 - 05/21/10 12:29 AM Re: Raft owners... [Re: Driftfishnw]
David Child Offline
Fry

Loc: Yakima, WA
I just picked up a 14' Maxxon raft and have a custom frame for fishing on it. It's a peach! My hope is to fish out of and sell them. If it catches your eye and you're intersted I'd sell this one to you. It's been on the water twice. Maxxon has been in the inflatable boat business for years, but this year is their first to offer a whitewater raft. The raft, frame, casting braces and anchor system are awesome.
For pictures of the 14' raft and frame and for more information on Maxxon rafts visit my new raft page:
http://www.dreamflyfishing.com/myraft&cataraft.html
The raft helped me get a springer the other day:
Feel free to email me, david@dreamflyfishing.com

Edited by David Child (05/21/10 12:53 AM)

#601068 - 05/21/10 12:59 AM Re: Raft owners... [Re: fishbadger]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
My little Puma works perfectly as a water taxi but it's not great to anchor up and fish out of,

fb

My super puma is pretty easy to fish out of with full floor boards to stand on. Much less "tippy" than a drift boat. Getting to the point where I almost prefer it over my willie. Crazy I know.

#601092 - 05/21/10 10:34 AM Re: Raft owners... [Re: ]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
I have a 13' aire superpuma and love it. Rowing is so much easier than the 17' willie. Not quite as comfortable as the willie though. A little more "tippy" IMO but if the dude (or girl) in the front gets down in the nasty stuff so the wieght does not shift to bad it is a dream to row.
I almost lost my buddy this year when he thought he could get one more cast in from the front and him saving himself almost lost the two of us in the back.

#601107 - 05/21/10 11:55 AM Re: Raft owners... [Re: docspud]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Don't buy a raft new!!!!!!!!

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#601110 - 05/21/10 12:15 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Originally Posted By: Jason B
Don't buy a raft new!!!!!!!!

+1

#601292 - 05/22/10 12:51 AM Re: Raft owners... [Re: docspud]
Old Guide Offline
Parr

I'm an old rafter from the '70's and still have my old Campways Shoshone raft - 16 feet long. I know that there is better stuff out there, but my old raft still works fine. With a little forethought to packing, you can put a lot of stuf in a raft. I've twice done the Main Salmon, and continued down the Lower Salmon to Heller Bar, taking a full two weeks to do it. It's been great on the Owyhee, Deschutes, Utah's Green, etc.

Rafts are the only way to go for really long trips, or big water like Hell's Canyon. I took my driftboat down the Middle Fork a few years ago, and would MUCH rather have had my raft.

Rafts respond a little slower, but are so forgiving. They're a little harder to fish out of, I think.

If you're looking at a serious expedition type raft, I think that the NRS 16 footer would be hard to beat.

#601324 - 05/22/10 12:50 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: Old Guide]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
The first thing you want to decide is how you want to use your raft. A 11'6" puma is a completely different boat than a 16' expedition type raft.

If your goal is to fish no more than one other guy and do nothing but day trips go with a small Puma type raft. But if you have visions of taking multiple people and doing multi-day trips you're going to need a bigger boat.

The trade-offs are the obvious, maneuverability vs. load capacity.

I traded my db for a 15' Fish Craft SuperCat several years ago. Its a big raft I have set up like a db with lots of storage and I can fish two guys side by side up front, or one front and one back.

It doesn't track quite as well as my db, but I can and do pull plugs out of it. Its great when the water is low and is the bomb on the 4 day trip I do every year on the Deschutes with two buddies and way too much gear (ie. beer).

It's not going to slice and dice like a small puma and is a more of a pain to man handle by myself, but overall it works for me. The best part is with a raft you have a huge margin for error you don't get with a db., I take my raft down stuff i wouldn't think of taking my old db down.

#601376 - 05/22/10 08:41 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: cobble cruiser]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Originally Posted By: fishbadger

fb

My super puma is pretty easy to fish out of with full floor boards to stand on. Much less "tippy" than a drift boat. Getting to the point where I almost prefer it over my willie. Crazy I know.

While I am still stoked over my 16" Willie Boat, I really like a lot of things about the frame rafts. Mostly that they bounce off rocks and will sometimes go places a DB won't.

I have floated Aire and NRS and would be happy with either.

#602084 - 05/26/10 08:31 PM Re: Raft owners... [Re: Doctor Rick]
Cooner Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia, WA
I am also looking for a raft to fish Montana and the Yakima. Summertime fly fishing, I have a 16' Lavro that I have owned for 20 years of so.

I floated the Smith River in Montana for seven days straight a few years back and there were four of us, two to a raft with a cooler, food and camping gear. I believe the rafts were 14's but I am not sure.

I am looking at a raft as I do not believe there is enough water for a drift boat.

I have looked at NRS, Monrovia and Aire and a few others.

TIA, Mark (in the Big Easy working at the present time)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |