Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#605250 - 06/12/10 05:12 PM Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
For about the past 10 years or so, I've been wanting to head up to S.E. Alaska and fish with Robbo and his operation out of Craig. I vividly remember when photos surfaced of summerruns father's 70+ king and I was hooked. I *had* to get up there someday. It was really only a matter of time. On the other hand, I've been fishing with Bob on the Kasilof since 2000 and that's a hard operation to leave. It just so happened that I'm not scheduled to fish The Ditch with Bob until 2011 so that left this summer open. As fate would have it, I got the call from Robbo asking me if I'd like to come up for some pre-client exploratory fishing in Craig. You already know what I said.

This is a trip report of what one can expect if they book a 3 or 4 day fishing package with Rob Endsley's Prince of Wales Sportfishing. Stories might be a big embellished, as my traveling companion was CanyonMan, Bucket, and Stam. That story alone is probably worthy of a separate post, but not today.

CanyonMan stopped by my house at 4:35 for the scheduled 5:00 am pick up to the airport. Why 4:35? Well, all I can say is that he showed up having not gone to sleep yet and had a grin on his face that said...er...well, you get the idea. We meet Bucket and Maris at the gate and the four of us promptly get upgrades to 1st class for the flight up. We are all 3-4 doubles in the bag by the time we land in Ketchikan. A quick walk down the hall and we're all set to fly out on the Pacific Airways flight to Craig. The plane ride was entertaining, but a bit loud (bring ear plugs) and a bit wobbly, but we made it to Craig only to see The Gringo Grande waiting for us at the dock with his new stretch-limo van. Robbo has this operation down to a science and you don't not feel used and abused by travel when you get to Craig. A quick 3-minute van ride and we're checked in to a couple of rooms at Ruth Ann's.

Not a bad view from the Honeymoon Suite:

The dock leading out to Man Town is just across the street from the hotel. Man Town was to be our home away from home for the next few days. The only time we were at the hotel was to sleep.

Robbo had just put the Polar Bear in to the water, so there was some work to be done in Man Town. First order of business was to rig up the rods, reels, and pipe jigs for the season's clients.

Man Town might not win any interior decorating awards, but Man Town was freakin' cool with it being upgraded every day. Bucket wasn't happy unless he had 6-8 projects going on at once, and he quickly took over Man Town and went to work.

While Bucket was busy pulling new circuits, making new fish signs, tables, and working on the Polar Bear, the rest of us went over to Tim's garage and started putting together the 400+ Prince of Wales Sportfishing fish boxes. The paper cuts were brutal.

The day wasn't going to be entirely wasted on work, as we had to pick up some beer and head out to Brother Bill, AKgirl, and Uncle Dave's remote mansion for a BBQ. These are the same people that hang out with BigStick over on that "other" board. I didn't meet a single person at the BBQ that wasn't cool as all hell. Unfortunately, BigStick was not at the event, so I can't say that I've met him in person. In the meantime, Maris and CanyonMan work the MonsterGrill and cook up some killer ka-bobs and ribs.

Damn good food and beer. The entertainment of the evening was when the 13 year old stold AKGals car and crashed it in a ditch. A BIG thanks to Katie and Dave for the evening! Sure hop you get hurt really bad in Africa, Dave!

Well, that wrapped out our first day in Las Craigas. We were to have breakfast at the Cafe and be on the boat by 6:00 am for a run to the Chicken Hole to see what was in the water.

Good thing we left the BBQ somewhat early, as we were a man down as soon as we left. Casanova had a long day.

The 5:00 am alarm came way too quickly, but after a good breakfast, we were on the Polar Bear zooming our way towards the Chicken Hole and the first drops of the season.

Robbo decked out the Polar Bear in new state-of-the-art hidef Lowarance electronics and was right at home in his "office".

Maris has done this before and it didn't take him too long to find his favorite seat on the boat.

Mooching! Mooching! and more Mooching!

Once at the Chicken Hole, rods were grabbed, herring were slapped on the hooks, and away our baits went to the bottom. Didn't take too long before I hooked up on one of the many mid-20's slab of the day. These fish bit like champions and fought like hell. Robbo uses top of the line new 8'6" Salmon Mooching Lamiglass rods and line counting Shimano reels that result in a fun time with a king salmon!

Maris was not to be denied as well.

I was on a roll. Another slab for me as Maris silently flips me off behind my back.

Don't ever count out CanyonMan. The guy is a salmon-catching machine!

Maris with a smile on his face!

It wasn't even noon yet and it was time for us to head to deep water for some halibut and bottom fish. Not a bad haul for this crew.

We left the Chicken Hole in search of other fishing grounds to see what was there and what wasn't there. On the way, we passed some of Maris's buddies.

At this point, we started fishing for halibut and other bottom fish. Plenty of paddle and chicken halibut were caught, but nothing worth of a photo or two. Eventually, we'd come across some fish that we really didn't want to harm, but once caught, they were dead.

I'm going straight to hell for killing this awesome yelloweye. frown

The rule of thumb down on the ocean floor is if you can fit it in your mouth, you'd better eat it. Poor little fishy.....

We found a few lings to play with during our time on the water.....

Wildlife was aplenty. I ended up seeing sea otthers, stellar sealions, killer wales, bald eagles, and even Harry the Humpback Whale stopped by to raise a flipper at us.

Back at the dock after a hard day of fishing, CanyonMan poses with some salmon on Bucket's newly crafted Prince of Wales Sportfishing sign and meat hooks. Looks like he needs to turn the hooks 90 degrees to get the fish to show up better.

After a hard day on the water, what else is there to do? Why, throw out some crab pots, of course!

Prince of Wales Deadliest Catch!

Because without crab pots, how else would anyone be able to sit down at Man Town and eat fresh dungeness crab?

End of Part 1.........

#605256 - 06/12/10 06:45 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: The Moderator]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Some real slabs there... Look a lot like them Sitka kings....

Keith thumbs

#605259 - 06/12/10 06:58 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: The Moderator]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Looks like fun !
Great job on the pics and vids !

#605264 - 06/12/10 08:01 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Direct-Drive]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Looks like a great time. Looking forward to this fall up there.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#605265 - 06/12/10 08:15 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: RowVsWade]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
thumbs

Doesnt get any better than that.

Rusty Bell

#605268 - 06/12/10 09:17 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: The Moderator]
SmellslikeTuna Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seabeck, WA
Speechless!

#605271 - 06/12/10 10:02 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: SmellslikeTuna]
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
Looks like you guys had a ball and Robbo is off to a great start!
Now if the weather up there will cooperate... it should be hammertime!!!

#605273 - 06/12/10 10:50 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: TJN]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Nice,

I'll be up in Craig the 29th of June through August 1st this year. Glad you guys had some good weather.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#605274 - 06/12/10 11:02 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Dogfish]
BALLSNYOURMOUTH Offline
Fry

Loc: anywherefishr
Dude, what a trip. Nice boat Robbo looks like you had a good time Parker. Did you beat up big stick while you were there if not that sucks he is a fag.
Some people spend large amounts of money on a nice boat, maybe they should spend a little bit more and learn how to run the F%C#@NG thing. Stupid people shouldn't fish especially next to, in front of, behind, or anywhere near me.

#605278 - 06/12/10 11:49 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: BALLSNYOURMOUTH]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Good times with you DSMF'ers last week. You guys got outa here just in time...the weather just hit terminal suck-ocity. 22 foot seas tonight and not many places to hide tomorrow. Check out this wave height animation that shows the big seas slamming right into SE Alaska. I love my job beathead

#605280 - 06/12/10 11:49 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: BALLSNYOURMOUTH]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Excellent trip and crew! Thanks for sharing.

#605284 - 06/13/10 12:02 AM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Captain Q]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Nice work boys! That pick of Canyonman taking a snooze is priceless.

#605287 - 06/13/10 12:16 AM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Robbo]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Parker, Your life sucks!!! NOT!!!!
Thanks for the report...looks like a new yearly trip is in order...

#605294 - 06/13/10 01:30 AM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: ]
Leopardbow Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Ferndale
Wicked photos. Glad you had a fantastic time with Robbo!

#605305 - 06/13/10 10:10 AM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: ]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Wow! Looks like you guys had an epic trip. Too bad about the weather.... dang!
Definately on my list of things to do.

#605311 - 06/13/10 12:16 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Neal M]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Sure nice to see there's still places where there's more fish and open space than people, fantastic shots!

There's a sucker born every minute

#605314 - 06/13/10 12:37 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: SBD]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Cool report, great shots, nice chit boyz!

#605322 - 06/13/10 01:40 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Mingo]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Sounds like Robbo got some work out of your worthless selves, and you done good in representing the DSMF crowd to your northern hosts as well....

Great post Parker!

#605324 - 06/13/10 01:59 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Driftin']
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
I hate you.... all.

Note to self, if title contains anything other than "lame a$$ Oregon Salmon" don't even open it.

Fawkers

#605335 - 06/13/10 04:00 PM Re: Prince of Wales Sportfishing - Epic Report [Re: Twitch]
schoenweiss Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham, WA
that

looks

awesome

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |