LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#606748 - 06/21/10 07:12 PM First Trip to GBL Report!
JDarr Offline
President- Oregon 20 Club

First off I gotta than DV for pointing me in the right direction for a lot of fun and fish. Not to mention one of more beautiful places I've ever been.
It didn't take Gary and I long to be on the boat and off into the big blue. We didn't know it was going to look like this on the first day. BONUS!

Capt Eric was a top notch always willing to keep good baits on the rods and always on top of his game. I've been on lots of trips when you get there and the gear is kinda janky or the boat is a little dirty and no where near what you'd hoped for. Nothing like that this time. Perfect gear. Beautiful boat. Gary and I were pumped and it didn't take long till be were in business and this bad boy came aboard.

It was a pretty good start to the trip.
Between the halibut we were cranking these Quillbacks up. Man, what a cool looking fish. I was like "What the hell is that!" when I reel up my first one which Eric was kind enough to pose with.

And of course Gary hopped right into the action as well.

The rest of the trip we weren't blessed with quite as nice of weather, but the fishing didn't slow up one bit. We were bendin rods on eater 'butts as fast as we could get 'em down.

It was as simple as dropping down a dead thing and cranking up a live thing. One of those live things was a halibut going right at 140.
I was really hoping to get into my first ling and on like I ordered it off a menu.....

After a while we were hooking into ust about everything that swims.....including a few fish I didn't even know were down there. These skates were one crazy looking fish.

Gary and I even managed to sneak out of the lodge down Saw Mill Cove for for a couple hours one afternoon with a steelhead rod and a box of spoons. We hooked into grey cod as fast as we could get em.

We watched eagles circle hoping one went belly up. Of course when an big bald finally came and swooped up one of out misfortunate floaters I had just placed my camera safely in the car doh
Overall it was a stellar trip. I think I crossed 7 new species of fish of my list and enjoyed a flawless backdrop.

As soon as my freezer is empty I'll be going back.......

But I might not be able to wait that long.

JD woot

Edited by JDarr (06/21/10 08:13 PM)

#606787 - 06/21/10 10:39 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: JDarr]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Yac is a very cool place. I hope to get back up in the next 1 or 2 springs.

Kris

#606792 - 06/21/10 10:50 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: dcrzfitter]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Cool pics and report Jdude. One of the places I'd like to get to in the next few years as well. Now if I can just get the same gig..... smile

#606798 - 06/21/10 11:12 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: Sky-Guy]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
JDarr-
Thanks for the great report!! I will be on the river Thursday and it has jumped to 3500 fish a day over the Weir!!!!!! Fish with Eric whenever he can fit me in.

Eric does a great job and would rather be out on that ocean than anywhere in the world and that is what makes him a great guide!
He is already beating on us to get a second boat.

Really glad you had a good time, that is what it is all about.
How was the food?

#606805 - 06/21/10 11:41 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: GBL]
JDarr Offline

Food? You mean fresh seafood and steaks while I drink Crown Royal? Ya I'd say the food was just fine hello

Sounds like we missed the sockdogs by a few days, but such is life. I'd much rather be out there blasting those halibut anyway. Especially after I grabbed one of Eric's lighter rods with a lefty reel. Lighter rod and only 5 oz of lead was killer, but I would got owned if I'd gotten the 140 slap

There's no doubt Eric loves that stuff. He was so pumped to be getting into fish. Hope I can get in the boat with him again banana

JD thumbs

Edited by JDarr (06/21/10 11:42 PM)

#606828 - 06/22/10 02:29 AM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: JDarr]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: JDarr
Food? You mean fresh seafood and steaks while I drink Crown Royal? Ya I'd say the food was just fine hello

JD thumbs

Sounds like my kind of dinner. Oh and the seafood and steak sound good as well!! smile

#606829 - 06/22/10 02:32 AM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: cobble cruiser]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

I might just finally break down and have to do the Yak thing.

#606838 - 06/22/10 08:59 AM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: cobble cruiser]
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
Nice report bro, I guess I need to try a late spring trip up there.

#606867 - 06/22/10 11:18 AM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: CraigO]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Cool stuff.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#606871 - 06/22/10 11:39 AM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: cobble cruiser]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Originally Posted By: JDarr
Food? You mean fresh seafood and steaks while I drink Crown Royal? Ya I'd say the food was just fine.

Sounds like my kind of dinner. Oh and the seafood and steak sound good as well!! smile

rofl

#606918 - 06/22/10 02:13 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: JDarr]
Peterman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: West Seattle

You hold halibut like steelhead. You can take the man to the ocean, but can't take the river from the man... laugh

#606970 - 06/22/10 05:03 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: Peterman]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Good to see you got some nice pics! I'm sure off-the-hook fishing was a nice bonus smile

#606989 - 06/22/10 06:49 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: Peterman]
JDarr Offline

Originally Posted By: Peterman

You hold halibut like steelhead. You can take the man to the ocean, but can't take the river from the man... laugh

It's the only way I know how

JD

#607027 - 06/22/10 10:51 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: ]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Kings are coming in now, just hope enough show up to keep it open, but if not, we will be out in one of the hundred bays, we will find them out there for sure!
We are going to do a couple remote fly-outs this trip in search of big Kings that have not been fished on all season, that will be fun.
And of course, Halibut! Going to be a busy 7 days!

#607230 - 06/23/10 08:11 PM Re: First Trip to GBL Report! [Re: JDarr]
capt.k Offline
Parr

Loc: Yakutat, AK
Good tom hear you had a good time at Glacier Bear Lodge! It was my pleasure to get you out fishing. I hope we can do it again with the weather in our favour! maybe sans USCG boarding too.
GBL should be pumped to be here tomorrow! The halibut fishing is prime, Lots of sockeye, 43 Kings to be exact (in the river), still tough in the salt. Epic Ling fishing! Thanks for the kind words and glad you had a good time!
- Glacier Bear Lodge crew-

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (eddie, NOFISH, 1 invisible), 483 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645370 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |